3 replies to this topic

#1 crespoh69

crespoh69

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

Are there any android phones or providers anyone can recommend when up in the mountains? I can get GPS using my Nexus One but unable to do turn by turn or even send my location for my records, what do you guys do when out in the wilderness?

#2 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:10 PM

I never saw a need for turn by turn in the wilderness.
But for everything else I use the Cabelas Recon app on my Droid X when I'm out with the phone. It works really well. My primary GPS though is a Garmin Oregon with the topo maps...
If you see a need to actually send a location, get a SPOT - they come highly recommended and are proven to actually work, unlike some app.
  • braunbear66 likes this

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#3 1shot_1kill

1shot_1kill

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:01 PM

Yup as BT said tje cabelas recon app works great and the Backpacker GPS trails pro also works great when you are off the beaten path, but remember to download the maps to the sd card on your phone before going to your spot or you will be SOL.....

#4 braunbear66

braunbear66

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Fishing Hunting Snowboarding Skiing Camping in my Airstream.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

turn by turn thats funny make a left at the rock go down the road and turn right at the guzzler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users