20 replies to this topic

#1 fyrewil

fyrewil

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:48 PM

The new Water Development Atlas (Guzzler Book) is now available at all NDOW offices. The new book includes 160 full color, detailed map pages covering the entire State of Nevada. Each map page is drawn at 1:144,000 scale (one inch on the page is approximately equal to 2 ¼ miles on the ground), which means that each map now offers much more detail than any previous Water Development Atlas. In addition to showing the location of both big and small game guzzlers. The book now includes land management status information and UTM (Universal Transverse Mercator) coordinates for GPS (Global Positioning System) use. The Cost is $50.

#2 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

Can you post some pictures of this book as 50.00 is a lot for a book

#3 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:42 PM

I have last year's addition. It is comprehensive but it is so compressed the detail is hard to see without a magnifying glass. Maybe it's just these old eyes. Because it is such a large book it is not convenient to haul around. I usually make a copy of the page I will be using so I can fold it up and take with me. I can also blow it up a little to make the detail easier to see.

Finding water will be key when hunting Chukars and big game this year. Nevada is tinder dry locating the guzzlers could be a key to success. Coyotes are killing pets in back yards here in Spanish Springs. Over 20 dogs killed in the last two weeks. The rabbit population seems to be about half of what it was last year.
Mountain coyotes have more fur.

#4 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:26 AM

Stan,
Just my perspective, but $50 is cheap for the information. I pay a lot more to Jim Matthews for a Western Bird subscription in CA, which is likely less information.
It's not about how many, it's about how.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog or gun

Maintain a balance of nature, use a beautiful gun when shooting a beautiful bird

#5 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

I bought one a number of years ago, and was more than worth the money. So the current one has to be even better & a bigger bang for the buck.

Can you post some pictures of this book as 50.00 is a lot for a book

Yeah, so would the rest of us... Only we would like ALL the pages, and in color please. Us being such nice folks and all, don't ya think? I mean, no sense in all of us actually having to pay for something, since fyrewil already did, right?

OH, and if fyrewil don't mind, would he pls post the GPS coordinates of his favorite chukar or quail spots he happens to find too, ok? I know Bisley would be most appreciative. NO, REALLY, he would, just ask him. I, personally, would like to hear of any coyotes you see, but just keep that a secret between us, ok? Ed, Tim, Grant, Tom, Shoot-it, Ken & Eric and the rest of the good ole boys can earn their "INFORMATION" with their own time, money & energy. They don't mind... TRUST ME!

THANK YOU SO VERY, VERY MUCH (IN ADVANCE).... Did I say "very"?

#6 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

:smiley-funny-post-sign: :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]:

I think I know what the answer would be. Probably the same one I would give: Here is how you get there, Go out in your yard, dig a really, really, really deep hole, and jump in it and go to Hell!!! :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]:

My eyes are still watering and my gut hurts from laughing Frank. You're killin me :lol:

#7 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:15 PM

:D Just glad I could help... as always :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#8 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,780 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:59 PM

:rofl2: :rofl2:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#9 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:15 AM

:signlol2iu:

#10 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:44 AM

Frank I’m soo glad you can assume I asked for a picture it seems you will purchase something without a look first so how about I sell you a patch off my harry a__ sight un seen for your head too keep your bullet head cool :eck05:

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,498 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:00 AM

Here is a link to a picture of the book.

http://www.ndow.org/...st/guzzler.shtm

It wasn't to hard to find it. I used this... http://lmgtfy.com/?q...velopment+atlas

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#12 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:53 AM

Thanks John!

I just got off the phone with them and asked about a Digital form and he said if they get enough calls that the powers that be would more likely move forward with it so get everyone to call (775) 688-1998 and ask them to make a Digital version

Huge difference with some people here some about as helpful as a Berdan primed case and then there are others like you that have a I can help with that attitude

Thanks Again

#13 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:00 AM

Can you post some pictures of this book

Frank I’m soo glad you can assume I asked for a picture

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

#14 'Ike'

'Ike'

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:Bowhunting, Upland birds with my Labs and Shooting...

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

Cha Ching!
17HMR, .22Cal, 22WMR & .223 - Don't run, it only excites me... :smiley-outta-here:

#15 BeastSlayer

BeastSlayer

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Everything outdoors...

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

Anything similar for CA?

#16 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

The closest thing I've seen is from "The Outdoor News Service" by Jim Matthews. You can find him from google by typing in either his name or outdoor news service.

He puts out a newsletter called Western Birds, started about a dozen (+/-) years ago on quail & chukar with guzzlers & hunting areas and their gps coordinates. The first half dozen yrs or so, were the most informative and I have all those copies. I quit subscribing after that, as the quality and numbers of copies ea year got less and less. Started out around 6 copies a yr and dropped to about 2. Used to be about $100 a yr. Probably can still order past issues.

#17 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

Ed, Tim, Grant, Tom, Shoot-it, Ken & Eric and the rest of the good ole boys can earn their "INFORMATION" with their own time, money & energy. They don't mind... TRUST ME!

Frank, you hurt my feelings,
I cryed most of the night, and I was so upset, I peed the bed.
My wife understood after I told her why I was upset.
Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#18 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

:smiley-funny-post-sign: I am :smiley-sorry:, Tom. I just thought at our ages we had no feelings left. Then again, I should say "my" age? :D

My goodness, this thread just keeps on ticking... sorta like the energizer bunny! LOL

#19 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

huntinggpsmaps.com have very detailed and land owner info maps for garmin  an other gps's.  Might want to look them up as well. I have one For their Western States Region. 

TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#20 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:34 PM

Any of you that hunt South Dakota or Kansas...these two states (and probably others) have the private land, public land, and public access to private land GPS maps on their F&G websites for free.  I've been downloading the SD maps for the last few years.

It's not about how many, it's about how.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog or gun

Maintain a balance of nature, use a beautiful gun when shooting a beautiful bird

#21 Greg Duerr

Greg Duerr

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:21 PM

Nevada is super dry this year   A lot of the guzzlers I have checked out are dried up, not good.  The Humboldt River is dry also and a lot of springs that had water in June are dry as a bone..................Good luck.

However I did find a area that has water and had a really good hatch lots of birds, so that's were I will be spending my winter.

Greg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users