• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:04 PM

Couple of weeks ago I scored a '90 GMC K5 Jimmy. Already got a lift, winch, Detroit locker, & a set of 3/4 ton axles to go under it. Let the build-up begin... :P Posted ImageThe before picture (build-up pics to follow).*UPDATE*- Here she is with the 6" lift, 3/4 ton axles, new rims & 35" BFG Mud tires. Still have to do a little exhaust work, get it aligned, & mount up the grill guard/winch combo & rocksliders. I ran into some major problems with getting the right extended brake lines for this thing, but I finally went to Bell & Gaines in Modesto and they had exactly what I needed. I'll get some more detailed pics posted of all the modifications when it's totally done.Posted Image
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#2 Augnmike

Augnmike

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:16 PM

Awsome rig Wes, way to go. Can't wait to see it grow into a first class huntin' rig, already halfway there.

#3 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:39 PM

You're gonna hate me. I junked mine last year 'cause it had out of state plates and wouldn't pass smog, I was moving and buying a new house, and didn't have the time/money/desire to fix it up.1986 GMC Jimmy Sierra Classic, 4x4, tow package, upgraded interior, tinted windows, lots of other upgrades. I bought it while I was in college in '98 for $4K with 60,000 miles original everything. It sure was a fun truck. :PPosted Image

#4 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:49 PM

That's ok, I wanted an '87-'91 for the fuel injection. Plus I picked mine up for $900, 160,000 miles but a fresh tranny & fully loaded.
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#5 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 05:39 PM

That will make a great hunting truck. What are your plans for it?

#6 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 06:31 PM

That will make a great hunting truck. What are your plans for it?

6" lift, 8 lug 10B front (open diff, 4.10 gears), 8 lug 14BFF (Detroit Locker, 4.10 gears), 35" BFG Mud Terrains, already got a Warn Classic bumper that's gonna hold a 12,000 pound Milemarker winch, and the previous owner installed an alarm with remote start, flowmaster exhaust, and a 14" drop-down monitor w/a DVD player mounted in the glovebox. My uncle bought a tubing bender for his race car so he offered to bend me up a full interior roll cage and I also got a Pioneer CD player & speakers for tunes (I'll be adding Sirius later on). There's a Clamper 4x4 run coming up on February 3rd, so I've got some wrenching to do! :blink: Might have to let the crows have a little vacation... :P

#7 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 04 January 2007 - 09:17 PM

There's a Clamper 4x4 run coming up on February 3rd,

I can't wait! :) :) :blink: : :angry: :o
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#8 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:16 PM

There's a Clamper 4x4 run coming up on February 3rd, so I've got some wrenching to do!

I can't wait! :) :) :blink: : :angry: :o

Cool, I knew I could count on you to help me turn some wrenches! :o

#9 phtcat2

phtcat2

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 02:18 PM

Hi.I read your post and also just built a 77 dodge power wagen with under 17,000 original miles.I put over 9k in ti it,Lift tires, etc.I had a blast building it,Hope you enjoy building as mach as I did.Good luck Chris.

#10 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 05 January 2007 - 04:22 PM

Uh....wrenches......what are those...? :lol: Just kidding brother. If you need help I'll be there........to hand you wrenches and beer. :blink:
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,329 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 05 January 2007 - 04:26 PM

If you need help I'll be there........to hand you wrenches and beer. :lol:

No, it's to hand you wrenches and drink your beer! :blink: Oh yeah and to laugh at you when you bust up your knuckles.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#12 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 04:27 PM

Uh....wrenches......what are those...? :) Just kidding brother. If you need help I'll be there........to hand you wrenches and beer. :blink:

Hey, Dirk stopped by today in your old Ford. He was on his way to smog it & he told me to ask if you remember telling him it's never overheated on you? He said after his buddy bought it, they were on their way back to Dirk's house & it overheated!Turns out the thermostat was stuck closed from sitting... Slapped a new $10 thermostat in and he was good to go! He wasn't mad or anything, just thought it was ironic! :lol:

#13 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 04:40 PM

Well I'll be damned. :o That was the best thing about that old truck, it never once overheated, and after telling that to the new owner it goes and over heats. I guess that's its way of getting back at me for selling it. :)

No, it's to hand you wrenches and drink your beer! :lol: Oh yeah and to laugh at you when you bust up your knuckles.

that sounds about right. :blink:

#14 SpotandStalk

SpotandStalk

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Sporting Clays.

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:36 PM

wes,I live in San Diego, so the auto scene might be slightly different, but where do you find these rigs...friends, family, co-workers, gun club, online source etc? I'm thinking about getting a very inexpensive huntin' rig as my Dodge Charger is not made for the dirt and hills. ;) S&S
"Would you vote for a woman as unqualified as Barack Obama?" -Hillary Clinton-"The best thing about the cash for clunkers program was it got thousands of the Obama stickers off the streets.""Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of congress. But I repeat myself." -Mark Twain-

#15 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:21 PM

A little bit of everything you mentioned. I'm pretty resourceful at finding cars & parts, especially when it comes to 1973+ Chevy 4x4's. PM me what you're looking for and I can do a little digging for ya'... The main reason I got this Jimmy so cheap was that it wouldn't pass smog and the young guy that owned it had no mechanical ability. After crawling all over it, I found it's the original catalytic convertor, the O2 sensor wasn't plugged in, it had a bad spark plug wire, and on top of that it has a constricting muffler (2.25" muffler adapted to fit the 3" factory exhaust). ;) I was actually looking for a Suburban when I stumbled upon this thing. I kept watching it and the guy slowly came down on his price from $2700 to $1500, then I put $900 cash in his face and I drove it home. It's no show truck & it needs a little TLC, but I looked at some other rigs that were beat to hell and they were asking for a lot more money than this one...You know, I just had a thought. Living in San Diego, there's got to be some government auctions near you where they auction off vehicles. I've seen border patrol use alot of these fullsize Blazers, pickups, & Suburbans. Also there's probably alot of drug seizure cars that they've caught coming over the border. Might be something to look into...

#16 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 08:19 AM

A lot of the used car dealers do go to the auto auctions down there. I used to detail cars as a kid in the San Diego area and they always had border auctions. Auto Trader is your best bet to try and find some deals. I think they even talk about the auctions sometimes in the ads in there.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#17 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 07:25 PM

Auto Trader is your best bet to try and find some deals. I think they even talk about the auctions sometimes in the ads in there.Darren

Actually I've found the vehicles in Auto Trader to be overpriced. Probably because it costs so much to advertise with them. The very first place I start looking is Craigslist.com, then I have several other websites I check from there. I've got several friends that are usually buying & selling stuff too. Right now one of my friends has about a '96 Chevy Lumina with a new motor, new brakes, and more for $1200. He just lost a rod bearing in his pickup so he needs the cash to get it repaired. There's deals out there, just keep your eyes & your ears open.

#18 SpotandStalk

SpotandStalk

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Sporting Clays.

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:24 PM

wes,Good point on the auctions. I haven't had a chance to research the auctions etc., but I'm looking for something that I can beat up a little and at a very easy on the wallet price.Thanks for the info,S&S
"Would you vote for a woman as unqualified as Barack Obama?" -Hillary Clinton-"The best thing about the cash for clunkers program was it got thousands of the Obama stickers off the streets.""Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of congress. But I repeat myself." -Mark Twain-

#19 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:49 PM

Started swapping axles and installing the lift kit today. Everything's going smooth, other than the lift company didn't include the extended front brake lines that I ordered. I'll snap some pics of the progress tomorrow. And damn it's sucks to work outside on concrete in this cold ass weather... :P

#20 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:47 PM

Some progress! Had a few hang-ups (lift company forgot to include the replacement front brake lines & they shipped me the wrong rear U-bolts), but the lift & axle swap should be complete tomorrow. The clock is ticking! :) Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePics don't show the new front brake pads, rotors, large piston calipers, wheel bearings & seals, or the sway bar drop brackets. Got quite a bit done, still got quite a bit left to go. More pics to come...

#21 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,329 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:27 AM

Looks like you're moving right along Wes. :)

Time waits for no one--

#22 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:52 PM

Update in first post.

#23 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,329 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:12 AM

Nice Wes, big improvement. ;)

Time waits for no one--

#24 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:14 AM

Looks great! When's its maiden hunting voyage?

#25 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 12:31 PM

Looks great! When's its maiden hunting voyage?

Not soon enough! ;) I think it's maiden voyage is gonna happen in Oregon though. Looks like we'll be moved by the end of this month so it's probably going to ride up there on a car trailer. Between the rain and my daughter being sick, I've only managed to get the brake lines finished in the last week. I did cut loose for a couple hours yesterday to go to Pick 'N Pull to find some windows for my friend's little commuter car (bastards broke his windows and stole his car just for the CD player! ;) ) and while we were there I scored a late model 32 spline turbo 400 tranny that will eventually get swapped in. If it wasn't for having to rebuild the whole front axle, I'd probably be out 'wheeling this thing right now. ;) But I feel better about it since I am taking my time and not cutting any corners. B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users