14 replies to this topic

#1 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:04 PM

ok im looking for any recomendations for some good binos with 8x or 10x power and price around 250 or less just seeing who has used what and if you liked it.
thank you.

light weight if possible for this deer season.

#2 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:27 PM

You're probably looking for some better glass. But I've got Nikon Action or Action Extreme binocs in 7x, 8x and 10x and I have to say, I like the 7x the best because there's less visible shake and I can glass comfortably for a lot longer. Plus, they're less bulky to carry than the 10x.

#3 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:28 PM

A good small size one is the Pentax 10X24 UFC III. I paid over $300 for mine many years ago and now they are about $100 last I looked

#4 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:11 AM

I like the 7x the best because there's less visible shake and I can glass comfortably for a lot longer

Exactly! I personally never cared for anything over 9x, as eye strain became a real problem after glassing for only a short time. I have several binocs, but probably my favorite are my Leupold 9X.

#5 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:00 AM

vortex diamondbacks 250 lifetime no fault warrenty mine are 10x42 little shaky but they are really good
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#6 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:06 AM

Posted Image
A few yrs ago, I researched binocs quite a bit. I wear glasses, so I needed lots of eye relief and convenient retractable eye cups. The best compromise of sharpness and features I found on the list of Consumer Reports and another source was the Olympus Magellan EXWP 1. They make a 8 power and a 10 power. I chose the 8 power for my bowhunting. The suggested mfr retail is $365, but they can be found for about low to mid $200 range. I compared them side by side in several hunting situations to my friend's big heavy Swarovski's. They aren't as good, but are not far behind. My other friend's Nikon Monarch's can't keep up on sharpness, lens flare or any other feature. He ended up buying some of the Olympus binocs too. A real bargain for some excellent glass.

http://www.google.co...ved=0CG0Q8wIwAg
It's not about how many, it's about how.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog or gun

Maintain a balance of nature, use a beautiful gun when shooting a beautiful bird

#7 2daschunds

2daschunds

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Interests:All hunting, shooting, reloading, good eatin, US military, baseball, USC football, wife and kids, and Sanctuary Church.

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:27 PM

I have Nikon Monarchs in 8x42, and they are good for the $250 price range. The higher the budget, the better the glass will get, can't argue with that. I hunt archery and rifle, but I will buy 10's or maybe 12's because I glass with a tripod and don't have to worry about shaking for mid-to-long glassing periods. I would check out Vortex because they are great for the price.

#8 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:23 AM

More recently, I've been using the Leupold Rogue 8x25 for hunting.  They're compact, waterproof, have decent glass and Leupold's limited lifetime warranty.

http://www.opticspla...ular-59220.html

#9 4NDone0331

4NDone0331

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Interests:Varmint and Predator hunting, airguns, working out, video games and beer.

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:46 PM

I love my Leupold Cascades 8x42, I have the older model without the textured rubber but the glass is nice and clear and have worked well for me. The newer model can be find at many places for ~$280 I saw an older pair like mine on ebay for ~$180, Im not sure if they are used but I would guess that they probably are.  

For those who have fought for freedom...freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
USMC Infantry 06-10 OIFx2 combat vet.

#10 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:46 PM

I was cruising Bass Pro shop tonight and somehow as always I ended up in the binocular section. I found a 10X42 Zeiss Terra ED and was impressed by the quality of the glass. I also like the fact that it's very light. At $369.00 it's a real value.

http://www.basspro.c.../1302090526195/

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#11 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:52 PM

I would stay around 8x so you can see more of the area you are looking for game and less eye strain.

I bought Leupold Mojave 10x42 and wish I would have bought the 8x42 instead.

Check out the Redfield line of products by Leupold as well, nice glass and more $$$ affordable.

#12 HD Rider

HD Rider

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:30 PM

Any reason not to look at image stabilizing bino's other than price? I recently seen 8 power in the 350 range.

#13 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:54 PM

8x doesn't shake enough for me to need image stabilization. 10x does, though.

#14 HD Rider

HD Rider

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:08 PM

Sometimes I shake enough that it seems 1X would require image stabilization.

#15 Toxic Shot

Toxic Shot

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:40 AM

+1 for the Nikon Monarchs 8x42's I love mine very clear and easy on the eyes. I use a spotting scope for all the long range stuff after the Nikons find something. Here's a tip when checking out binos, birders, yep the folks in the bird watching community have lots of info on this subject. Not only are optics their only piece of equipment, but they often watch birds with other birders and have the opportunity to try out lots of other brands side by side. Cowencedently, this is how I decided on the Nikon Monarch 5 S's.
Toxic Shot

I unload all of my own shells!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users