• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,914 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

Do you seperate the different manufactures of brass when you reload?
Tom

#2 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:54 PM

Yes... Actually, I only stick with one brand, which is Winchester for me.

And no matter the brand, they will all get an occasional bad mouthing from someone &/or somewhere. Even Lapua has produced bad brass. It happens!

#3 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,914 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:24 PM

Today I ran across a few Frontiers, and a Herters.
I have never seen a Herters.
Tom

#4 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:23 PM

Like Frank, I stick to one brand for rifle - Remington in my case.

However I am a brass whore for pistol brass....I got everything in 45 acp...
Except those *&^%$#%^ 45 acp pieces of brass that have small pistol primer holes...oh and beriden (military) brass are excluded into the trash heap.

What's everyone else doing?

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:00 PM

I prefer one maker of brass due to case capacities being slightly different. Does it make a huge difference, not really.

#6 BearWhoHunts

BearWhoHunts

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:I am into foraging of all kinds. Hunting for game is just one aspect. Every time I am out in the back country I am looking for edible, useful and medicinal flora and fauna. I am also constantly working on survival skills. Hunted as a boy for squirrel, rabbit and some upland birds. I am a farmer by trade and I work for an organic farm founded on ethical work practices.

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:34 PM

I just got into it so I keep them separate for most of my calibers.
My uncle is getting me into loading and for him it depends on the calibers. Some of the guns that he shoots seem not to mind and others are a little more picky. It also depends on the purpose. If it is for plinking - as long as it cycles it is good to go. But for hunting or target shooting he is quite specific. When I get the luxury of having 5 gallon buckets of sorted brass under my work bench (as my uncle does) I am sure I will be as picky as I feel like :D .

#7 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:29 PM

Pistol brass ---No
Rifle brass ---not always. I do have some cartridges that I only have one brand for as that was the only stuff I got when buying. I am starting to be alittle more picky on some of my hunting ammo lately. Actually I have gotten quite anal for the ammo I will take to Africa. I have new brass from one manufacture that I neck sized, trimmed, inside and outside chamfered,uniformed primer pockets, deburred inside flash hole and sorted by weight to be withing 1 grain. Then hand primed, which is what I do for all my rifle brass and some pistol brass.
Rifle plinking ammo ---I do not sort or treat it anyway special.

Oh I do sort the mil surplus brass from commercial brass so I can take care of the primer pockets and such.

#8 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

I stick with one maker (Win). I recall mixing Rem and Win brass on .264 Win Mag and it had enough capacity difference to see a POI difference at 100 yrds. I never chrono'd the difference, but it was likely there. I could see definite signs that one had higher pressure too. I think it was the Rem with lower capacity.

#9 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:47 PM

Today I ran across a few Frontiers, and a Herters.
I have never seen a Herters.
Tom

Herters could be very old or very new! Herters used to be the premier sporting goods catalog from WWII to the early 70s I even still have a couple of Herters rifles! The company was greatly hurt by The GCA of 1968, and was bankrupted by the Endangered Species act.George Herter sold a lot of feathers to Fly tyers. He had a warehouse full of them. When it became Illegal to sell them George thought He should be able to sell what he had in stock, the Courts did not agree.
Just recently Ive been seeing print ads for Herter ammo in classic calibers. I think its made by Hornaday. Kind of a cool return for classic ammo, like the return of Redfield scopes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users