10 replies to this topic

#1 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:09 PM

Took a short little overnight backpacking trip up to some really pretty country recently.

While I've spent quite a bit of my life pack packing, my better half has yet to go on one with me. She has been on plenty of camping trips and day hikes with me but has yet to pack in and campout.

Since this was her first real back packing trip I didn't want to make things too tough. I wanted the destination far enough away that it felt like you just packed in somewhere...but I didn't want her cussing me out either lol. I chose the Cottonwood Lakes. The trailhead is already at 10000ft so getting to the 11000ft lakes isn't too tough. I've been there before a number of times so knew what to expect in regard to trail and effort, just hoped the weather cooperated and the Mosquitos were not bad.

She carried one of my daypacks and probably had about 10-15lbs in it. I carried most everything. It's amazing what just carrying a few extra items will do to a pack. I carried a few extra things that I probably wouldn't by myself...it put my pack about 50+ lbs...waaay too much for an overnighter (or even a multi night trip). My usual pack weight on our standard 3 day, 2 night trips usually comes in around 35lbs less any water. The extra 15 lbs was really noticeable. Anyway, she did great.

Hitting the trail.

Posted Image

Saw a bunch of these guys. Everywhere you looked.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Found a nice little campsite next to one of the lakes

Posted Image

Really pretty area

Posted Image

Posted Image

Enjoying a little camp life.

Posted Image

It rained about half the time we were there which is pretty normal. I was bummed though cause the Perseid Meteor shower was that night but it was too cloudy to see. In the morning we had this rainbow though.

Posted Image

Didn't do a lot of fishing this trip but the Cottonwoods are pretty much ground zero for the pretty Golden Trout. Here is one I caught from lake #3

Posted Image

Packed up and made our way out. Nice mellow hike. It was just a bit over 5 miles which isn't bad at all. After a night of backpacking food we were looking forward to a Lone Pine pizza.

One last shot with Mt Langley in the background. She's already looking forward to the next one. Hopefully she still enjoys it when she is carrying a bit more stuff...

Posted Image

#2 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

Very nice, and awesome pics... but nearly gave me a heart attack just "looking" at that country. LOL

That's one location I never made it to in my younger days, and sure as hexx couldn't make it today... even with a horse. LOL

I almost always have to stop at one of the Pizza Factories when cruising through the Owens Valley (it's (eating) what I do best). I Can't recall if I ever ate at the one in Lone Pine though. But they're all the same (good) of course. Back-Packing does make us appreciate the better things in life... food, home, toilet etc. LOL

:signgreatreport3kg: :smiley_kewlpics:

#3 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,921 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:06 PM

Very nice,
It is always special when the wife tags along.
Tom

#4 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:46 PM

Really nice trip it looks like to me. That trout is absolutely beautiful. Never have caught one like that before. I don't think I could go up hill for very long with 55 lbs on my back. Ouch I can feel my legs burning and aching now. Keep the pictures of those fish coming.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,680 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:53 PM

Nice trip and pictures Ed. Thanks for sharing them, those Golden trout are sure pretty.

#6 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,116 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

Sure is some pretty country. Congrats on getting the wife to go along as well!

#7 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

She's lucky you could take that load and keep her pack so light. You're a wise man.
When the next trip comes and she's given more weight, I strongly advise against a hike at that kind of altitude. Can you find something around 8,000 so she doesn't risk altitude sickness. 11,000 feet on her first back pack trip was a real gamble.

She's definitely a keeper!

#8 Switch

Switch

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • Interests:My daughters tell me I'm like Dr. Doolittle because I talk to the animals...too bad they don't always like what I have to say.

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:00 PM

Great photos Ed. That is some beautiful country. So was that a five mile round trip hike? Or five each way?

#9 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:49 AM

Hey Tim, yeah about 5mi one way. Not a bad hike. Good trail so no real scrambling. On a good clear trail you can eat up the miles pretty quick.
I've done that hike a few times as a day hike to fish the lakes. We'd go up to the Cottonwoods then CC over to South Forks Lake for the afternoon...then back to the truck. That's about a 14 mile day.

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, luckly for me she doesn't seem to be affected much by altitude...at least up to 12k. We've been all through Tioga Pass, Little Lake Valley etc. and as well as skiing Mammoth multiple times every year. I've been with people who seem to come down with AMS pretty easily if they don't spend quite a bit of time acclimating, and even then it's hit or miss. Really miserable for all involved.

#10 BCF

BCF

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Dirtbike riding. Anything outdoors. CNC programmer by trade.

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:03 AM

That's awesome man! I've been out there before. We did a 5 day trip me, my brother and his friend. Great memories, and I remember the golden trout...there were tons of them- we caught and released, and didn't eat any.

I'm going to send a link to this post to my wife....maybe she'll be motivated to make it out with me some time.

#11 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,841 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:32 AM

Awsome stuff . my knees are hurting now. Real pretty golden. :good: :good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users