• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, music, cooking.

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

This was my first "real" rifle, got it on my 13th birthday. It's a Weatherby Vanguard in .243 Winchester. It has a Bausch & Lomb 3-9x40 mounted on it currently, I plan on getting a higher powered scope for it next. Anyways, I got a Bell & Carlson stock for it and tomorrow it's getting dropped off at the smith's shop to get fitted to the stock and have a trigger job done.

I was thinking about building an AR10 in .260 but after looking at the cost decided to just hotrod my Weatherby some. It's already a shooter, it'll do ragged holes all day. So I really don't need much more done to it. After shooting my AR so much I got the itch to get my old girl out to pop some coyotes and pling some long distance steel.

I'll post some more when she's back. The new stock is just so I don't mangle the beautiful wood stock that came on her, that will just go in the safe.

#2 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:28 AM

I too like the Howa actions. Nice and smooth and feeds nicely. Mine came with an adjustable Timney trigger, If yours shoots great now, It will prolly get even better with a lighter trigger. Good luck, and keep us posted!

#3 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:04 AM

I will most definitely! It's gonna be three Weeks til she's back from the Doc's... But it'll be worth the wait. I have Matt Huston do all my work, and he's amazing, always a long lead time, but like I said it's worth it!

#4 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:12 AM

I've owned a Howa .243 in the past. Nice copy of a Remington with some quality machine work. Better'n some of the later Rems IMO.

Are you getting it glassbedded?

#5 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:46 AM

Just me but, I'm too nostalgic. Any rifle I got when I was a kid would remain in that condition. Especially a Weatherby.

#6 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

Yes on the glass bedding, barrel will be free floated as well. And as much as I love the wood stock, I'm just too afraid of messing it up. I want to just shoot and not worry about it! If the stock wasn't so nice I wouldn't ne doing this.

#7 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:33 PM

I know how you feel CoC. But then consider that every nick and ding you put in it happened during a hunt and they will remind you that you used it. The changes you're making are all reverseable, so in the future, if you change your mind, you can easily return it to original.

#8 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

She should be home Wednesday! Now I need to start saving for a new scope!!!! I'm planning on a Leopold 4-14X with the CDS. And yes, I will post some pics. The 3-9 will come off this one and go on my Model 70.

#9 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

Dude youre in manteca? So am I? We need to get together and do some shooting man! Let me know

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users