6 replies to this topic

#1 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:25 AM

I re sized some cases last night, I had one, that had a slight split in the neck. Would you through out the whole batch? I checked all of them and they seem okay. I checked for head case separation too, with a paper clip. It seems like I still have some life left in this batch. Would you still reload them? On a few of the shells, I tried to see if there were small splits in the neck by prying the neck around with a steal rod and they seem to be still flexible. thx robert
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#2 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:30 AM

Wouldn't worry about it, they sometimes split after a few firings. You can anneal the necks if you'd like, that sometimes helps with the splits.

edit: meant to say, obviously, once they are split they are trash.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#3 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:30 AM

I just throw away any with cracks in the case mouth or neck and reload the rest.

#4 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

Okay, cool, would you continue with the same powder measure, or would you decrease them to the lowest. these are not hot rounds by any means
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#5 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:59 PM

I tend to reload ammuntion in 100 round lots and keep the same brass together so that they have similar age. When I get 3-4 neck splits out of them then I throw out that group. Usually centerfire rifle case last me upwards of a dozen reloads but I'm really anal about adjusting my dies to minimize the amount of sizing and not work hardening the brass as much.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#6 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:09 PM

You can anneal the necks

+1

If you want to prolong your brass life, then you must anneal your brass every 4 or 5 firings.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#7 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:28 AM

Thank for the information, robert

I am going to go out there and start to trim them to length. I have 223,30 06 and 7.62x54. thx again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users