24 replies to this topic

#1 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

Someone recently brought up a question about a 22lr long range capabilities. I posted a pic of this before,
This is KnockemUp "Toms" rifle He allowed Me to shoot it during an online shooting contest. Scoring targets were anywhere from 25 yds to 100 yds.

Posted Image

Today I went out for the last target that was 200 yds. Now this one was not for team score, it was just for braggin rights at the end. But a .22lr will shoot fairly accurate at that range. Wind Mirage, all of the other shooting hazards come into play especially shooting a projectile."22lr match" that only leaves the barrel at 1080 fps or less. It was indeed a learning experience!. Here are a few pics of My experiences.
First this was last week at 25 yds. Dont use a 6 - 18 power scope for this! lol I learned the hard way. You cant see bugs half the size of a dime clearly with that much power.
Posted Image

So getting back to 200 yds.. Today I had to resight in. and as heat inreases so do heat waves, also the wind increases as well here in the delta. So first thing I did was to set up My targets. First at 100 yds, then at 200 yds. So now after quite a few shots I git on the target at 100 yds. Bottom hole was when I first hit the target, the next five were a group after adjusing the scope. I achieved a group of 1.024 if I measured correctly.
Posted Image
Since 200 yds was my goal, I wasted no more of the $18 per 100 match ammo. lol The heat was rising as well as the cross wind. Here is what the shooting stand looked like.
Posted Image
Here you can see the 100 yd plate and 200 yd target together.
Posted Image

this was the result of the 200 yd target. Keep in mind looking at a target with heat waves and only a .224 projectile at this distance makes it hard to see. If I had a spotter, I may have changed the scope. So when I finally got on target at 200 I got this.
Posted Image
Now that I knew I was close I had to shoot the target, wind was getting worse, so I hung the target and scurried back to shoot. I drove the 200 yds back to see my results after 5 shots. "we were allowed 10.
Posted Image
Not being able to spot My target was a hamper, I have a spotting scope, and should have taken it with Me. Not sure what was happening and which shot was where, I decided to go back and shoot the remaining 5. I was pleased with the results! Although I had only hit the can the one time all of the shots were on paper and if the wind hadnt been pushing it, who knows? . Now keep in mind I am no bench shooter or claim to be, but the little 22 is quite capable of hitting a ways off!
Posted Image

More practice and trigger time who knows? But the trusty lil 22lr is an inexpensive way to practice shooting skills. Dont be afraid to streatch the .22 lr.
"disclaimer" Im not advocating the shooting of predators anywhere close to this distance, it could however be a formidable weapon against long range Gophers! Thanks for lookin!
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,329 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:42 PM

You killed at least one can of beer in your efforts! :lol: The lowly .22lr is always fun to plink with and is cheap in the process.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:43 PM

What brand ammo were you shooting and weight, etc.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#4 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:48 PM

LOl John.. it may have been My innervoice talking.. Dont waste the beer! lol

Braz, its called CCI Green label Competition. I also had some Wolf Match Extra. However since I used the CCI to sight in, and only had 15 rounds left I decided not to change anything. The Wolf is pricier in the store at about $9 per 50. Hopefully I can do a test with the remaining 5 of the CCI vs. the Wolf.
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,329 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

Fun stuff Grant. An old friend of mine and I used to sit on his cabin porch and shoot over five hundred yards into an old hydraulic mining pit on hit property. As the sun set in the evening you could see the bullets flying and the dust was back lit by the setting sun so it was easy to tell hits. We had the most fun trying to out do each other. We killed allot of rocks and even a few squirrels at that distance and had a great time doing it. Since he died it's one of the things I remember most about him. Sitting back in his chair laughing and cussing at me at the same time with his feet up on the porch rail.

Time waits for no one--

#6 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

Had to have been great times John! And a friend that you will treasure forever. As I shot I listened.. Bang... then moments later clunk! I cant imagine 500! LOL You can prolly go to the fridge and get a soda waiting for the bullet to hit.. :rofl2:

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,329 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

I does take awhile to get there. Art used to have a Gatling gun made with two Ruger 10/22's attached back to back. It sure ate the ammo up fast with the hand crank. But with the two fifty round mags in it you could paint with that thing. There was this long string of bullets that sort of waved around as you cranked that handle. He used to use it to scare trespassers off of his place and to keep the gold poachers out. It was really effective. The towns people were sort of afraid of him. :lol:

Time waits for no one--

#8 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:13 PM

I cant imagine why? lol Great story John... Id have to bet that was a while back? lol

#9 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, music, cooking.

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:06 PM

Good stuff! My reworked 10/22 with just mini mags will put 5 shots in about 1/2" @ 100. I love popping squirrels at 100+. I have yet to reach out to 200, but I do consistently out to 175.

Love the pics, thanx for sharing!

#10 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

Please share the pics. There could be many that doubt the power of the 22lr. especially show paper targets.

#11 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

Yep, it is surprising that a .22LR will reach out to 200 yards with half decent accuracy, although wind is pretty hard on it. We had pretty good luck with CCI Minimags shooting a tennis ball at 200. The Minimags have a little more oomph than Wolf Match Target.

#12 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

That seems to be the normal view of CCI MiniMags, etc Have you shot them on paper? . I have used alot of CCI Quickshoks that travel 1640 fps. But somehow the pattern changes at long ranges after the bullet falls below sub sonic speeds, What have your targets produced for you? I have been using a semi auto Glenfield for the past few years, but have never gone after accuracy until now.As stated, these rounds only shoot about 1070 fps. Your input is more than welcome. Us cheap shooters want to know.

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,329 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

Id have to bet that was a while back? lol

Yep it was the early to mid 80's Grant. Back when you could have fun without getting in trouble. :doh[1]:

Time waits for no one--

#14 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

Hey, Grant. That was about 2 years ago when we were messing around with shooting .22LR out to 200 yards. So I don't exactly recall what the paper showed at 200 for Minimags. I do remember that the Wolf Match Target was more accurate at 100 yards than the Minimags. But at 200, the Wolf seemed to be really running out of gas while the Minimags seemed to deliver more consistent results if I recall. The 36 grain Minimag HP's are doing 1260 fps at the muzzle, while the 40 grain Wolf Match Target mv is 1050 fps.

My buddy is sold on the Minimags as his favorite, all purpose .22LR ammo that's available at Walmart. His Savage BV will often do 1" groups with it at 100. My Savage doesn't seem to be quite as accurate as his with the Minimags. Might be because mine still has the stock Accutrigger while his has a Rifle Basix with a lighter pull and crisper break. Or maybe he's a better shooter than I am, which is entirely likely.

Anyhow, you're getting me curious. I may have to bring my .22LR along for some long range testing next time I head out to the range.

#15 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:56 PM

Here's one I shot at 150 with MiniMag HP's.

Attached Files

#16 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:12 PM

:oops:
I thought for a second I was pretty cool shooting varmints at 110 yards with my 22 LR...and mostly on the second shot... :1087:

#17 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,738 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:23 AM

Cool stuff. :good:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#18 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:08 AM

Fun stuff. .22's and shotguns have always been the most fun guns for me.

That's some great shooting.

Reminds me of about 20-25 yrs ago, a friend knew I was headed to a Lil John gun auction and said to pick him up a target .22 rifle if I ran across a deal. Well I cam back with a Walther KKM for $600. That's a pretty nice rifle for what my friend did with it. ...just plink. But it was a gas shooting it out there like you were doing. He shoehorned a 6-24x Baush & Laumb on it. Old folks. What can you say? :D
It's not about how many, it's about how.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog or gun

Maintain a balance of nature, use a beautiful gun when shooting a beautiful bird

#19 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,711 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:41 AM

Grant,
I thought you put a bipod on that gun.
I have an extra if you want to try it.
Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#20 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:43 AM

ratassasin, I sholld have tried some other types of CCi that I had on hand and the wolf match as well, I will have to try it again when conditions are good. Next time I will use a spotter or take My spotting scope as well. Keep us posted if you try the long stuff again! I had always plinked at GS's and rabbits out to 150 or there abouts, but trying paper at 200 this was My first attempt chuckocaster, good shot on the ground squirrel! Fun stuff Guys!

#21 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:33 AM

Heck yeah! Thanx! I love this thread, I knew I couldn't be the only guy lobbing them out there.

#22 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:08 PM

I shoot a single shot match with a 22 Stevens Favorite. The match is at 100yds scoped and open sighted. But I do sometimes play on the 200yd range! My best ammo is Eley Team, followed closely by CCI Green Tag.

Posted Image

heres the scope mount I made for it.

Posted Image

and the front sight. [ Nobody makes a front sight in a Stevens Dovetail ]

Posted Image

#23 rustygun

rustygun

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:All types of hunting, but mostley small game, varmints and predators. X-Military (Army) 20 years. Been away from the hunting game for almost 22 years

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:42 AM

The .22lr is a great fun round to play with. I personally have not punched paper with the out past 100yrds but have taken a few jacks out to 150+ with them. The CCI minimags worked well for me through many different 22s. Also you made me go back and re-read your post, I said holly sh@t he's shooting fly targets at 200 yards.

#24 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:12 AM

Noo lol The fly target was shot at 25, I only showed what it looked like. Id prolly be making Money as a Pro shooter if I could have hit those at 200 ! lol

#25 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:47 AM

Ha, you would have had to invent an entire new line of .22LR ammo if you had been able to make those fly shots at 200!

Nice job on the scope rail and front sight, DR.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users