• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

Never used camo for Deer - but did stop wearing blue after teh guys with teh tan coveralls would always sind up closer to deer than those in the blue jeans. Have't tried turkey or coyote yet.

#32 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:08 PM

I think Camo helps...  But Ive hunted in regular jeans and shirt as well.. 

I do wear it when I go to walmart... It annoys the city folk :)   Makes my day

#33 Huntinman

Huntinman

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

I personally wear camo, not because I believe it's a nessessity, but for the fact that I have hunting clothes at the ready all the time. Before camo became popular in the hunting scene, I wore blue jeans, and different colored T-shirts during deer season, and it is fun when hunting partners walk right up on you and not see you until you move.

#34 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

LMAO  Ya that is fun to do... This past deer season went hunting with my roommate.. My quad is camoed, I was camoed... I dropped him off on the ridge, and went back down aways and parked the quad kinda of on a point... He heard me shut off the quad... and I could see him easily.. but he said he knew about where I should be but couldnt see me... I wasnt in heavy brush, but I did have some brush behind me.. and there were really tall trees around me so the trunks helped break up my outline I guess.. I thought it was kinda cool :) 

#35 braunbear66

braunbear66

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Fishing Hunting Snowboarding Skiing Camping in my Airstream.

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:06 PM

Camo is the stuff. if I'm in the wood's- tree's.I sit tight and wait and listen- look. if I'm out in the open I sit still and act like a  green tree in the middle of the desert. I feel camo works and it looks great two. Not on guns, nice wood and metal. 

#36 fishandhunt4ever

fishandhunt4ever

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:I really love hunting and fishing. I am looking forward to making friends from this web community and share information that can be helpful.

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:42 PM

My 2 cents. Whatever is on sale. If i am duck hunting, doesn't matter what is under the waders. I do blacken my face, probably more to avoid sunburn. If I am hunting where its cold, whatever comes fleeced lined (sucks when hiking with a pack and long johns fall below pants line and its always a struggle to pull up the long johns without taking off pants), whatever offers protection from elements the most. If it is camo, its camo. I agree with all others about concealment and movement. The first time I took my youngest out duck hunting, I couldn't get why ducks kept flaring off as they approached. The little guy was behind me doing a rain dance. Lol

#37 anti

anti

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:You.

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:52 PM

Doesn't seem like it's completely necessary; most of the other guys I see in the field are wearing little to no camo at all.  If they are it's usually cheap milsurp stuff.

I wear camo because I suppose it CAN make a difference and I'd like to have specific hunting clothes that I don't mind getting messy.  Plus, I got a really good deal on it on eBay.  If you guys are looking for some good camo at affordable prices check out Game Winner brand stuff from Academy.  I got the button-up longsleeve shirt and BDU style pants in Mossy Oak Brush brand new for $45 shipped.  I'm extremely pleased with the quality and it breathes very well in the hot weather.  I even got the hooded jacket for $50 from Academy to match the rest of my clothes and it's by far my new favorite jacket for hunting and casual wear.

I'm a new hunter, so take anything I say with a grain of whatever... :P

#38 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:47 PM

well im still farely new to going out and using camo to hunt with and this is what i have found.

Squirells dont really care much its movement.

coyotes its your shape and movement.

flying animals notice your movement and reflectivity off yur glasses barrel and gear sun reflection.

Deer notice movement, we made a blind out of black plastice and i had just sides on it no top i was sitting in a chair and my shoulders and head were sticking out of the top of the blind now with that said i had racoons and deer walk up and right past me in this blind 3 feet away.

I later sat in a covered blind with windows open and had 20 to 30 deer walk 5 feet away and didnt look twice just kept on walking.

So my take it dont look like a human shape dont move and dont reflect sunlight.

never had problems with sound or scent but im sure its also an important issue.

im still new to big game hunting so these are just my :two-cents:

#39 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:30 PM

In Alabama during deer hunting we have to wear hunter orange. IMO UV blocker is the most important item you can use.

Scent is important so stay down wind. Scent blockers work as long as you are downwind. :signlol2iu:

#40 2daschunds

2daschunds

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Interests:All hunting, shooting, reloading, good eatin, US military, baseball, USC football, wife and kids, and Sanctuary Church.

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:56 PM

Its cool lookin to me and I find stuff that is comfortable and on sale. Jeans are not comfortable to me to wear hunting all day, and it is helpful to a certain extent.

#41 anti

anti

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:You.

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:04 PM

Yup, that's the main thing - comfort.  BDU style clothing is very loose and breathes well in the heat and is bearable in the cold.  You can find a ton of good deals on camo on eBay all of the time in tons of different patterns.  You just have to put in the time to find what it is you want and it isn't even that hard.

#42 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,914 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:53 AM

It's kind of like not wearing your 49ers ball cap to the game.

Tom

#43 CentralValley

CentralValley

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,shooting and being in the outdoors with my family and friends

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:09 PM

I feel that it all depends on the amount of pressure the animal has experienced and how familiar they are with people. I've had deer on heavily hunted public land spot me from a long distance and disappear. I've also had deer on privately owned, never hunted last spot me from the same distance and stay to watch me or just go about there business.

#44 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:09 AM

I feel that it all depends on the amount of pressure the animal has experienced and how familiar they are with people. I've had deer on heavily hunted public land spot me from a long distance and disappear. I've also had deer on privately owned, never hunted last spot me from the same distance and stay to watch me or just go about there business.

Deer should not see you "at a great distance". Deer vision is average at best. They rely more on scent and hearing.

BDU's have uv brighteners. They don't wash out either.

I wear all dark colored camo and have been replacing my pants with good dark coolred hiking pants.

Ever since I started checking my clothes with a uv light and only wearing non uv reflective clothing while hunting I have

seen more deer and they have gotten very close without seeing me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users