• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:53 PM

My wife was telling me she needed the kitchen to cook for the crew at work for a special occasion breakfast. She treats those guys pretty good even though she moved on from her job as their boss.

So, I decided to bbq something. I figured some chicken spatchcocked would be easy. Did some brussel sprouts with Louisianna hot sausage and onion and some grilled corn too.

Came out pretty decent for an adhoc dinner.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
It's not about how many, it's about how.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog or gun

Maintain a balance of nature, use a beautiful gun when shooting a beautiful bird

#2 nitis

nitis

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:56 PM

I don't know what spatchocked means but that is one tasty lookin yard bird

#3 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:31 PM

Ok now im hungry . looks real good.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#4 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:58 AM

I don't know what spatchocked means but that is one tasty lookin yard bird

Ditto.
Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#5 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:16 AM

Spatchcock is the coloquial cooking term for removing the backbone of the chicken by cutting along each side of it and spreading the bird open flat. The word comes from an old word used to describe the young birds that were prepared this way. El Pollo Loco cuts their chicken this way and you can see bunches of them on their grill, cut in this manner.

Here's a picture of one I did a couple weeks ago where I put it on the grill skin down where you can see the way it was done. You just use some heavy kitchen shears to cut down each side of the backbone. You end up taking out about a 3/4" piece of the back. Then squash it flat.
Posted Image

Maintain a balance of nature, use a beautiful gun when shooting a beautiful bird

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,295 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:02 AM

Yeah boy! That looks delicious and you have grilled brussel sprouts too, a favorite of mine!

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#7 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:14 AM

yeah, John,
Those brussel sprouts are beginning to be a favorite of mine. Those have some carmelized onion and louisianna hot sausage in there. I think I like them better with bacon or panchetta, but the sausage was good too, and it was all we had.

The key I found to getting rid of the bitter taste is to blanch them in boiling water for 2 mins first, then cook them in the oven or skillet as you normally would. We did a side by side test and it was bitter if you don’t blanch them. When you blanch them, they are slightly sweet like corn.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,295 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:32 AM

I grow brussel sprouts so when they're ready you you eat brussel spouts with every meal except breakfast. :lol: You are right about blanching or boiling them for a short time it makes all the difference.

Not really on topic here, but I love lima beans and have found many people don't like them. I wonder why that is? Maybe like brussel sprouts they just haven't had them or had them cooked properly.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#9 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

Lima beans, blackeye peas, and hominy are on my list of great sides.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users