• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:01 PM

I told you in a previous post I would ask the Officer I always run into about what to do about non-lead reloads for shotshells. As luck would have it, I saw him yesterday and got the opportunity to ask him. He started off by explaining that his area is not what they consider a "waterfowl" district so he does it the old fashioned way of taking one shell apart. If he can that it is steel or Hevi-Shot, no problem, but if it is copper plated he just merely scratches the copper off with a knife to see if it is lead or another (harder) metal underneath. He also said that if the hunter in question had a severe case of the attitudes, it may take more than one of their expensive shells to test :rofl2: . But he said the BLM Ranger I spoke with was correct in that the guys in the waterfowl districts do have a small device that can determine the type of metal in the shell without having to take it apart. They can apparently calibrate it for certain metals somehow and tell. He did not know if it is some kind of density test, or sound wave test, or what, but they can do it. He also said that carrying around the old box label will not hurt anything, but it will mean absolutely nothing to them either.
So there you have it, straight out of the mouth of the guys who test them. I just wanted to fill you in since I had said I would previously. It looks like you will absolutely fine out there no matter what. Best of luck.

#2 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:05 AM

Thanks for the information Bisley!

I did make some copies of the Post that has pictures of my reloads with the Remington HD shot in them. I also have parts of the Remington HD Shell boxes in each plastic bag that I have the reloads and factory loads in so I can show them to a Warden if I get checked out. Most all of my rifle reload shells are in plastic boxes with part of the Lead Free boxes the bullets came in taped to the plastic boxes.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users