11 replies to this topic

#1 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:40 AM

Washed jars lids and veges. I only put in 2 plants this year (rookie) definitely more next year. 1/2 H20 1/2 vinegar, 1/2 tps salt in each, sprig of dill, 4 cloves garlic, carrots.

Heated liquids to just below boiling and poured over veges in jars. Lightly placed lids on jars and put in H20 bath for 10 min. Jars sealed as they cooled.

The question is, how long till they will they be cured to eat?

Thanks,

Posted Image

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,674 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

If you used good 5% vinegar and non iodized salt you should be fine. You should leave a 1/2 inch head space in the jars after you remove all air from between the vegetables. Your water should be boiling too before you count your ten minutes. If the lids stay sealed you should be good to try them in 6 to 8 weeks for the 50/50 vinegar water mix. A good way to sterilize your jars is to use your dishwasher on sanitize. That way you don't have boiling posts of water everywhere. I use a 100% vinegar of 5% and add a little sugar to tone down the tang of the vinegar some people don't like. I like the tang so no sugar in mine.

#3 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

Looks good to me. Helped a guy can a bunch one time but forgot how he done it and what he used.

#4 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:22 AM

What? No Habeneros? lol

#5 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

John, yes on the 5% vinegar and I used pickling salt. On the dishwasher...........I am the dishwasher........In 35 yrs in this house never had a dishwasher. i did slit and used a knife to try and squeeze the air out. 6-8 weeks, will do and thanks guys. i get back to you in 6-8 weeks.

#6 nitis

nitis

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:05 PM

I prefer to use 50/50 vinegar and water just because it makes teh garlic so strong if you run it straight

I typically bring my brine to a boil and pour over the packed jars with a teaspoon of pickling salt and dont bother hot water bath because the hot brine will crate a seal. I know what the book says and I always bath my pickles but with pepper and jelly that are hot packed I do not bother

My wifes grandfather always uses straight vinegar and one teaspoon of salt and sugar not hot brine or bath just warmed lids and he has never ever had a problem so who knows.

Nothing wrong with being safe though

#7 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

With all the vinegar and salt, there's no chance anything can grow in that pickling juice. If you are a worrywart, you could sterilize the jars by steaming them and drying in the oven like my parents did the milk bottles for us kids. I used to do pickled eggs all the time in jars that I'd just wash in hot tap water and soap. Vinegar and salt are bateria killers, big time.

Sounds like you're gonna have some great peppers in a while.

#8 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:30 PM

pickled eggs.............now you have me thinking. My Dad used to do pickled eggs in beat juice and vinegar.

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,674 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:20 PM

I make pickled eggs from my chickens eggs.

http://www.californi...19

#10 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

I used to make em pretty often. 'been so long ago, I forgot how long I let em go in the pickling juice, but I'm thinking it was over a week. I could eat em sooner but they just weren't pickled yet.

We had a pickled egg making contest one year. I didn't even place with my stuff. Someone was using the pickling juice from commercial can of pickled peppers and won the deal. Those eggs John did look great. I like em when they bounce like a superball, that's when you know they're ready. :good:

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,674 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

I picked a variety of peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers and green beans. Going to roast everything but the bell peppers and use them in salsa. Trying to get more green beans to can. Cucumbers are going to be pickles.

Posted Image

#12 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:19 AM

That looks like its gonna be some tasty pickles. I'd be tempted to toss in some eggs in that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users