#1 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:13 PM

Hi Guys,

I need some help to decide what brand of hand pump for PCP air rifle as a back up plan to the guppy tank.
So many models like FX, Airforce, Hill and Benjamin PCP Pump.
I would like to be able to fill my Mrod gun and 18cf guppy tank if needed with it to and have a 3 stage pump with air dryer.
Plus easy on service of PCP pump, dryer and o-rings.

Thanks Randy

#2 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:15 PM

I have the Benjamin hand pump sitting in my closet with a failed o-ring. They failed right away because they were not properly lubed when manufactured. Since i went to a Shoebox compressor I never bothered to fix it but the instructions are on Sunoptics web site. Other than the occasional o-ring maintenance I think they work fine once you get a lubed set of o-rings in it. I would use a dryer with any hand pump if it got used much because of moisture. New they are $170 on Amazon. $120 or so used. The full o-ring kit is $20.

#3 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

Cool, Thanks for the info Brant

#4 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:29 PM

Looks like Crosman has a new pump out.

http://www.crosman.c...oswords/?p=2420

#5 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

If you get a pump, go with the Hill MK3. Everyone I've seen post about those really like them and say that they last way longer between any O-Ring failures and are better quality. I don't think you will be able to pump up your guppy tank with it though. You'd be pumping for DAYS... :(

#6 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

Thanks ARH for your input.

I was leaning toward the Hill pump over the new Benjamin pump.
The u-tube video of the new Benjamin pump looks like may have weak/wobblly pump arm-linkage that will fail or break over time?
It looks like Hill pump for me...

I thought you said that you could get your guppy filled to 4000 PSI somewhere and would top it off with to 4500 PSI with your Pump?

#7 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:40 AM

If you go with the Hill, that will be a good choice. ;) And I agree with you on the new Benjamin Pump. It looks rather funky, too many working parts to wear and bend or break, and it probably has the same internals as the original one. So in reality it will probably wear out or break even faster.

As far as pumping up my Guppy Tank, I don't think I even mentioned that I could do it. I did try to put some air in it with the pump when I first got it, however, it must have taken me around 3 or 4 hours just to get it to 200PSI and I had to wait around 30 minutes between each session of 50 or so pumps because it was heating up something ridiculous. Also, my Benjamin Pump will only pump to around 3500PSI max. So I couldn't pump to 4500PSI even if I wanted too. I do get my guppy tank filled to 4000PSI, but was wishing that they could top it off. I think I will eventually invest in a ShoeBox Compressor and get an oilless compressor to run it, that way I can fill up my guppy to 4500PSI on my own. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users