• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Outdoor activity. Diving. Fishing, Hiking, Hunting and Camping.

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:20 AM

Went out this afternoon with my friend Tom to try out with rabbit. Arrived at 4 PM and hunting until sunset around 7:30.
Walk around the field and saw the first bunny jump right out of bushes and stop under the tree about 50~60 feet. I lay down on the ground and took the shot. Right in the head and it drop right away with both legs kicking. My first cotton tail on my air rifle.. I was happy.
Me and Tom keep walking and plan to got one each before sunset. Finally we saw another one at the corner and Tom got his first cotton tail with his Ragel .22 he just got last week. We both high five and begin to walk back to the car. on our way back around 6:50 we saw another chance to take shot and we both got one and Tom got another one before we enter the car to head home. It was fun and had some rabbit meat for the weekend.

Posted Image
Beautiful sunset before we heading home
Posted Image

Ken

#2 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:51 AM

Good job on the bunnies with your air gun Ken. :good:

#3 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:41 AM

Those are the kind of stories that make life worth living. Good job, hope it is just the first of many. Fifty yards is a heck of a shot with an air gun. If you have only tried jacks and not cottontails, you are in for quite a treat. Was this on the property you were talking about having access to in June?

#4 Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

Yes Bisley. It was at my friend's orange farm . And the distance was 50~60 feet not yard. lol. I missed a couple of cotton tail before we get back in the car, It was getting dark and can't see that well from my scope. I think around the sunset they starts to come out to find food. We arrived around 4 PM and still a little bit of rain . Since the ground get muddy so we didn't walk all the way to the back. I did see many rabbits on the backside of farm and maybe going back this Sunday. Also saw some fresh Coyote drop near by. But it was strange that I didn't see many squirrels like before. Maybe because too hot?

Ken

#5 rustygun

rustygun

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:All types of hunting, but mostley small game, varmints and predators. X-Military (Army) 20 years. Been away from the hunting game for almost 22 years

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:26 AM

Good job on the buniies with the airgun. Looks like you are in for a treat with that batch of wabbits.

#6 rws fan

rws fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:My kids, shootin' stuff, hunting, hiking, scenic beaches, weather, running, imported beer, science, technology, fast cars, fast women, guns etc.

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

Nice shooting! :signs1180lq:

Henry

#7 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

Haha, I was trying to give you extra credit :lol: . First Saturday I've had off in 2-1/2 months (unexpected surprise) and first day I've slept in past 6:00am, you would think my eyes would much more aware and rested than that :doh[1]:

Don't limit yourself to morning and evening. While they are out in better numbers, they are still out all day long, I promise. I have a hard time not reaching through the screen and choking someone when I hear that they are only out at those times. 90% or better of the ones I take are in the middle of the afternoon B) . It's not as cool or quite as productive as the mornings and evenings, but still very productive. But i also don't have the luxury of being one of those fair weather (only) hunters, nor an opening day (only) hunter :rolleyes: .

Also, you may want to try turning the power all the way down on your scope, if you have not already, it will allow you to see as best as it can in the darker times. It has to do with exit pupil, objective diameter, and a whole bunch of other crap I don't want to get into :lol: .

#8 Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:56 PM

Thanks guys.. I had a good time
Bisley. I will learn how to adjust scope and try more when it is low light. and will spend more time duing the day to search for rabbits. I did see them jumping around in the day time but they seem more caution and spot us easy. I will need to learn how to get close to them quitely.

This is the meal for tonight with rabbits and some sanddads that I caught on Thursday. yummy !!
Posted Image
Posted Image

Maybe going out again tomorrow. ^^

Ken

#9 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,806 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:48 PM

Nice going. Dang that looks real good.Now Im hungry.

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,590 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:08 AM

That looks really tasty. It's always nice to see what the final product looks like. :drool:

#11 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

The rabbit & sanddabs meal looks great :drool: and beer on the side is good finishing touch.

#12 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

Awesome job to both you and Tom on getting your first air rifle bunnies. The hunt is fun, but coming back with something makes it that much sweeter. The meal looks great too. :)
  • Hotchkiss likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users