#1 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Hunting/Fishing/ Hiking

Posted 30 December 2006 - 08:11 PM

Have to make a scope adjustment? I try my best to hold rifle same way every time I fire resting rifle in same location. My eye lined up with scope same evertime I think. Last week at range I sighted my heavy varminter dead on at 100 yards. Cleaned rifle as usual.After I fowl the bore(That's a whole nother thread) its high and to the right by an inch????? I hate it! Scope mounts are tight!. So I make the correction.This happens with all my rifles.So is it the scope? Weather? Pressuer points on stock? What about if a military sniper couldn't count on perfecly sighted in rifle,that could change to out come of a battle? I know our marine sniper now have S&B 2x12x56MM scopes. There scope would cost us over $2,000 bucks. I wonder if they have this problem ? My scopes are all mid level priced. Had a Leupold 8.5x25x30MM It did the same thing.Any one else have this problem?

#2 canis disrupter

canis disrupter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 08:22 PM

Davis Street ?

#3 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 08:26 PM

I had that problem before with my Mini-14. Best thing to do is to get a lead sled, or something that holds the rifle for you. 3 shot group. Make sure you are calling your shots. Once you have that set, adjust your scope to the middle of the group. That should put you dead on.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#4 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:04 PM

Well, Iron Worker, it just sounds like a clean bore vs a fouled bore is all, & is perfectly normal. In other words, often (if not always) the first shot from a clean barrel will hit approx 1" away (give or take) from the rest of the group. And again, is normal. It's also the reason why I have actually fouled a barrel with a couple rounds first before I took it hunting. Yeah I know, pretty anal, but hey the first step to recovery is "addmitting" it, right? LOL... And no, I no longer do that... even though I only did it a couple time over the decades... lolFrank

#5 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:46 PM

You are not alone. When finished at the range I clean my hunting rifles then fire a couple "foulers". And yes, anal is the right word. I really do not think that inch is really going to make much of a diff. if I'm going to hit that hog or deer. But neither is counting cleaning patches, number of brush strokes per cleaning, etc..... I can't help it!!! Somebody help me!!! :D :D :D

#6 Rick

Rick

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 04:22 PM

Iron Worker,If I understand you correctly your groups on all your rifles seem to change the next time you go shooting and/or AFTER you have fired a couple/few fouling shots. Most shooters with the exception of bench rest shooter don't meticulously try to ensure their front and rear rests are always set up the same and this can add to differences coinciding with parallax (among other things). So, my first guess is that your parallax is off on your scope for you eyes. This is Not to be confused with focus adjustments. This is actually a very common occurance when setting up a scope. Look through your scope at the 100 yd. target and slightly move your head back and forth and if the object down range doesn't stay aligned with the crosshairs, it's probably parallax. This site might help. :D http://www.larrywillis.com/tip015.htmlHappy Hunting,rick

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,152 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 31 December 2006 - 05:36 PM

I'd agree with Rick on this one it's a common occurrence. :D

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#8 John

John

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,Bench Rest Shooting,Reloading,Fishing,Camping and the great outdoors

Posted 01 January 2007 - 02:22 PM

Two things you might try : 1) scope ghost it is supposed to eliminate the paralex problem,I have not tried it my self but for $10 it may be worth a try.http://www.scopeghost.com/2) to help eliminate flyer's try a bore snake with DE NATURED alcohol through the barrel before you shoot, this seems to eliminate most of my flier problems while working up loads.just a couple of Ideas try them if you get a chance and let us know how they work! :lol:

#9 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 08:57 PM

It's probably due to your cheek weld changing which can cause paralax issues. Make sure your scope is set up correctly and work on setting up your shooting position the SAME way every time. Exactly the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users