• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BCF

BCF

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Dirtbike riding. Anything outdoors. CNC programmer by trade.

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:44 AM

Hi Guys, I just wanted to say a few things about this scope, which I have mounted to my RRA 20" Predator Pursuit AR.

The scope is very clear, and has helped me to take several coyotes since I've had it for a few months. I like the ability to dial in my range on the fly using the turrets. I don't really use the BDC, and wish I'd just gotten a standard reticle. I don't use the BDC because it's set to be used at 12x's zoom, and I never hunt at full zoom, so it's pretty much useless to me. I prefer to know my drop and adjust accordingly.

The scope also has a quick zero setting, where you lift the turret until it clicks, then turn it freely, push down, and reset zero. I'm not sure why I'd ever want to do this, and I really hate it. I was on a 3 day hunt a few weeks ago, and while sitting in the back of my truck, somehow the turret got lifted up, spun, and I lost my zero. It really sucked. Then, I discovered that actually- it had broke. I couldn't get it to snap back in and lock, so I couldn't use the rifle for the rest of the trip. No matter what, the turret could just spin free.

When I got home, I researched and found another guy had this happen to him also. I debated sending it back to get fixed. Then, I decided to take the turret apart, which I did. I found it was very poorly designed, and all that locked it down were tiny springs pushing very tiny (maybe .020 diameter) bearings into one of two grooves. First groove is locked, second groove unlocked and free.

I decided I DIDN'T WANT this to happen again, so I removed the springs and bearings, installed a washer as a spacer, and locked it down permanently. Now, to set zero, I just have to use a screwdriver to loosen a screw at top of turret, sight in as normal, and lock it down- pretty much just like my other scopes, except I can use a flathead screwdriver on my pocket knife instead of an allen wrench. I might even replace the screw with some sort of thumb screw. I set zero at 100 yards, and I know where to go from there based on my range. Usually with 223, I will just dial it up 2 inches at 100 yards, and know that I can easily shoot point of aim out to 350 yards with my 40 grain VMax's.

If I ever want to sell the scope, I will send in to get repaired, but I doubt I'll sell it, because with my modification I like the scope again, and I prefer not to have any chance of ever losing my zero.

Hope this helps any of you considering this scope, or if any of you have had the same problem.

#2 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

Ok, hope you don't mind me raining on your parade a little? Or just a light sprinkle then.

Why not just take a standard 3x9 or 4x12 (etc) Leupold, Zeiss, Nikon (or(?) scope, sight it in 1 1/2" high at 100 yards and be done with it? Trajectory should be fine (no hold over) on coyotes to approx 325 (+/-) yards... and without all the mental & physical grief of playing with the equipment in the process. Which one seldom has time to do on "called in" dogs anyhow.

That is unless one is just a "gadget" type of person of course... Just saying :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#3 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:11 PM

Tsk, tsk, Frank, Frank, Frank.........Trust me, nobody on here wants to hear logic and common sense :rolleyes: . Take it from me, your old style, simple, sure-fire ways are a thing of the past :rofl2:

#4 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:38 AM

:smiley-funny-post-sign: Yeah, Bob, guess I sorta lost it there (in my old age)... I mean, not sure just WHAT the hxxl I was thinking of. :signlol2iu:

#5 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:52 AM

I like simple optics rugged optics with a working mans price tag. My goto rig as a vortex viper on it.

http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64check out my piece of the webHowa 1500, short action, 24" #6 contour heavy varmint barrel, Bell & Carlson MkII medalist, 4-16x50mm optics.

#6 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:30 AM

I've never found a bargain brand that didn't give me grief.  Leupold & B&L is my comfort zone.  I trust Leupolds enough to buy them used.  None of the used ones ever gave me trouble.

It's not about how many, it's about how.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog or gun

Maintain a balance of nature, use a beautiful gun when shooting a beautiful bird

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users