• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

If you are anything like me, your truck vehicle is not the newest one on the road and could use some TLC. I have been needing to do something about the cloudy things I once called headlights. Tried the polishing junk, works for a bit, then back to the same cloudy junk. Was offered to have them polished professionally for $75 (with some kind of guarantee) but did not want to risk it. I found this site last Sunday AM Autoparts and ordered both headlight assemblies, with bulbs, for $40 for the pair. They came today and work and fit perfectly. It would have cost me $20 just for the bulbs at Wally-world! So if you need some aftermarket parts for your old girl, you may want to give them a look. I was the Guinea pig, so at least you know that they do exist and will ship you your parts. Now, just a little tinkering with the brakes and I'm all set for the season :yahoo: .

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:36 PM

Hey Bob, I looked up my old rig and the replacement headlamps are $180.70. :yikes[1]: I guess I'll polish them a few more times or at least until I wear through the plastic. I did find a new wax that I like. I put some on the lenses last time I buffed them and they still look like new. The wax is Collinite No. 845 Insulator wax. They use it for automobiles, marine, RV and aeronautical uses. It's a carnauba based wax with UV inhibitors in it. I bought it originally to protect some brass headstone plaques and it worked so well I've been putting it on all sorts of things. You can read about it here: http://www.collinite.../insulator-wax/ You can find it cheaper I got mine for like $10 w/free shipping.

#3 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

$180!!! Yeah, for that price I would buy rechargable flashlights and tape them to my truck first :lol: . The ones I was looking at were just over $100 apiece elsewhere, so you can imagine why I was so thrilled. Sorry yours are so expensive, but still glad mine weren't.

My dad has an 03 Dodge that he just polished with some kind of compound my cousin had discovered, I'll have to check and see if it's the same stuff. It seems that most of that stuff works great for a month or two, it just doesn't quite seem to "seal" it though. How long ago did you out it on the lights? I would also like to get a hold of you in another month or two and see how it's holding up. At that price though, it would be even be worth it if you had to do it once or twice a year. Which I alo meant to ask, how easy was it to polish with? I know some goes on and comes real nice while others are like glue trying to get it off :huh: .

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

Well the OEM price for my headlights is $340 I think. I put that wax on almost a month ago and it is the hardest stuff I've seen. I used to be a big user of NuFinish but this stuff seems tougher and has the UV inhibitors in it.

#5 Yateswell

Yateswell

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:50 PM

Cost about $160 a pair for mine, I guess I'll keep polishing them, but thank for the heads up, good info though.

#6 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, guns, and saddles,
    self appointed GURU of squeek shooting in Modoc County

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:46 PM

I just deive slower lol. Ed

#7 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:51 PM

I don't know if it's any cheaper, but I have used this one too, they were just out of stock when I wanted to order them
Auto Parts Warehouse | Car Parts, Truck Parts & Auto Body Parts Online - Free Shipping on most Auto Accessories & Performance Parts – AutoPartsWarehouse

Even for other parts, not just the lights, I find they are about half the factory price. And that just means more $ to hunt with :D .

That UV inhibitor should make quite a difference for sure. I actually thought about using the cheaper buffing wheels and a clear coat of lacquer at one time :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#8 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:00 PM

I had the headlights done on my daughters car by a body shop 2 years ago and they are still fine. The car stays parked outside. Today I up-graded the brakes on my P/U. I saved quite a bit including the shipping when I bought the new crossdrilled rotors and HD pads from Rockauto.com Also look at pick and pull sometimes they are a good source of used parts.

#9 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:12 PM

I don't know if it's any cheaper, but I have used this one too, they were just out of stock when I wanted to order them
Auto Parts Warehouse | Car Parts, Truck Parts & Auto Body Parts Online - Free Shipping on most Auto Accessories & Performance Parts – AutoPartsWarehouse

Even for other parts, not just the lights, I find they are about half the factory price. And that just means more $ to hunt with :D .

That UV inhibitor should make quite a difference for sure. I actually thought about using the cheaper buffing wheels and a clear coat of lacquer at one time :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

do they have tail gate latches to . You need to stop hauling illegals across the boarder you just tearing up your truck doing that. :P

#10 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

You might give Future floor finish (now renamed Pledge® Premium Floor Finish with Future® Shine.) a try on the polished headlamp. The stuff is very tough and we used to use it for similar applications.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users