#1 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

Saw this youtube video from another site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5pVya7eask

Here's what I discovered after removing the Mk 4 from my 338 Lapua and replaced it with a Nightforce. Two of the 8-32 cap screw from the 6 screws Seekins Ring broke off. I barely touch the head of two of the corner screws and they just peeled off. The rifle has a violent recoil inspite of the 16 lb. weight and the massive SSG V-Brake on it's muzzle. The rifle previously ripped apart two IOR scope. The MK4 was the only scope that was able to withstand it's recoil. I ended up replacing all 12 ring screws.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#2 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

I like that bubble level
Hic Ego Statio

#3 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

I wonder who machine those thing at USO. :crazy:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#4 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:55 AM

Good old Leupold scopes. That is one reason I love them. I also think the Nightforce scopes are great. Like a Leupold on steriods. It does not look like you lapped the rings. I found that usefull. Just wondering.

#5 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

That's why I like .22 Long Rifle. : )

#6 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

I agree 100%. Nice bases and ring are not cheap either. But you do not have to wonder if you knocked your scope off. I spend a lot of money on rings and bases just for piece of mind.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#7 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:59 PM

Good old Leupold scopes. That is one reason I love them. I also think the Nightforce scopes are great. Like a Leupold on steriods. It does not look like you lapped the rings. I found that usefull. Just wondering.

Glenn Seekins told me that his ring does not require lapping. So I I left it alone. I have two sets of these ring, and they're first class. I torqued these rings to 15 in/lb. and they don't mar the scope finish at all. If it's a Mk 4 ring then, definitely you need to lap it.

Here's a MK4 after it was lapped. As you can see there's still have some low spot on them. Not worth the $135 price tag.

Posted Image

#8 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:12 PM

I agree 100%. Nice bases and ring are not cheap either. But you do not have to wonder if you knocked your scope off. I spend a lot of money on rings and bases just for piece of mind.

Here's Gruning Precision Patented rings and custom bases in my 6.5-47 Lapua. It's not cheap! but this is as close a bullet proofed mounting system as you can get. The base is pinned into the receiver and the ring, well you can see what I mean.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:38 PM

How is the Night Force Holding up on the rifle. I am asking because I am slow and have a rifle that is breaking scopes. I want to try and put a Leopold tactical scope on it with M1 turrets, for the weight, the weight of the scope. I want this rifle as light as I can get it. I am not sure the Leopold will hold up either. This rifle has broke two scopes in less than 100 rounds. May be my last light weight headache. Built one already and the night force is the first scope that has held up, but I did not try to put a tactical leopold on the first one.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#10 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:32 AM

How is the Night Force Holding up on the rifle. I am asking because I am slow and have a rifle that is breaking scopes. I want to try and put a Leopold tactical scope on it with M1 turrets, for the weight, the weight of the scope. I want this rifle as light as I can get it. I am not sure the Leopold will hold up either. This rifle has broke two scopes in less than 100 rounds. May be my last light weight headache. Built one already and the night force is the first scope that has held up, but I did not try to put a tactical leopold on the first one.

If you want to keep the weight down then get either an aluminum Tally base and ring. If weight is not an issue, then a Picatinny style base and ring will be your ticket.

As far as the scope goes, Leupold V X 3 and MK4 scope will handle any re-coil your rifle can dish out. Nightforce is a good scope and will handle recoil just as well, but it's kinda heavy.

#11 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:11 AM

1 Nightforce Bases 1 piece (Product #: NF700SA120) NF700SALA $114.00 $114.00
1 Nightforce Ultralite Rings 30mm (Height: A118_.885_Low_-_30mm_-_UL) NFULR $163.00 $163.00
1 MK4 M1 4.5-14x50 LR/T (Reticle: Mil_Dot_-_54560
Cerakote Finish: None) 54560/60005 $1,199.99 $1,199.99

SubTotal : $1,476.99
Shipping and Handling Fee : $20.00
Tax Total : $114.47
Total: $1,611.46

Some times you have too just do it and quit Dilly Dallying about it. See what you all made me do. LOL

#12 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:42 AM

What rifle is this Bennie?

#13 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:15 PM

What rifle is this Bennie?

That is going on a Rifles Inc Lightweight Strata in 300 win mag. That rifle has broke two scopes of decent quality. I hope this set up holds up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users