• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

Someone is asking me what .22 PCPs are the most quiet on the market as he has nosey neighbors. I would think the .22 Marauder has to be very quiet as my .25 is pretty quiet. Any others you know of? I know he is more concerned about getting one in a hurry than price so untimely mods are out.

My .25 50 fpe Air Ranger w/ Huggett is slightly louder than my .25 Marauder. He asked specifically about Air Arms guns and FX but I have no experience with them.

Thanks in advance...

#2 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:17 PM

I would agree. If he is looking for a .22 that is quiet, the Marauder Rifle or .22 Marauder Pistol will be pretty quiet. The impact of the pellet may still draw attention from nosey neighbors and as you know, the ping of the hammer resonating through the reservior adds the percieved loudness of the guns. I know the BSA Super 10 is pretty quiet too.

I've not personally heard any others I've not listed above, so those are the only .22 PCP's I can list from experience.

#3 rws fan

rws fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:My kids, shootin' stuff, hunting, hiking, scenic beaches, weather, running, imported beer, science, technology, fast cars, fast women, guns etc.

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:42 PM

The .22 Marauder is ridiculous quiet. The first time my buddy shot his I thought it was broken and told myself I had to get me one.

Another quiet .22 PCP that I've shot was an FX Gladiator Mk2. I thought it was actually a little more quiet than a stock Marauder. The Gladiator sounds like a de-pinged .22 Mrod to me.

Henry

#4 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:32 AM

Thanks I'll pass on the BSA and FX.

#5 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

Well, I personally haven't heard the report of any other "quiet" PCP's so I don't have any other recommendations. :(

#6 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:02 AM

ok Thanks.

#7 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

Well I got sucked in on a dual gun purchase this time around so I now am the proud new owner of an Air Arms S510 Carbine thumbhole (on order from PA with 1 in stock) .22 . My wife is underwhelmed. It's the only way I could get my buddy into PCPs. I guess I will find out about Air Arms now. The Air Arms guns have excellent reviews.

Posted Image

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,688 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

I have an AAS410 thumbhole but it isn't the most quiet gun but not bad. The accuracy is fantastic with it. I stay away from any after market LDC because of the laws in California. Anyone who has one out here could be in serious trouble. Looks like a nice gun Brant. I think the Marauder in .22 is about as quiet as they get in a manufactured PCP. My FX Monsoon is quiet but the semi auto bolt slam makes noise. But I haven't found a varmint that can out run that semi auto feature. It's great for ground squirrels because while they're looking around to see where the first shot came from I can pick them off without re cocking the rifle.

Let us know how that S510 shoots.

#9 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:39 PM

A FX is somewhere on my horizon...

#10 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:02 AM

Well my S510 is coming from Pyramyd. I went ahead and let them do the $10 checkout (which I think is a rip) but i told them I dont want a mark on the gun from their testing. Lets see what happens. Only Pyramyd had one in stock from the places I checked and they had only one. I did get the air adapter so I can fill it with a foster fitting and the right 30mm scope mounts for one of my Hawke Side Tact 6.5-20 scopes to clear the mag.

Any idea what JSB pellet shoots best? With the shorter barrel I am hoping the 15.9 Jumbo does well but I'll test the Heavy's 18.13 and Jumbo Express 14.3 too.

#11 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

I have an S510 without the Thumbhole Stock and love it. Had it for a while now with no problems. I am shooting the JSB Heavy's 18.1 through it very accurately. Let me put it this way. If I miss, it was my fault. Not the rifles or the pellet. Did I tell you I love it. I do and would recommend this rifle to someone wanting a high end air rifle. Very nice rifles as you will soon see.

#12 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

Wow. You guys have some nice airguns for sure! :) I'd love to have one of those, but they are a bit out of my budget range.

I'm actually getting ready to sell one of my airguns (my EunJin Sumatra 2500 Carbine (in .25 caliber)) so that I can purchase my first .30-06 for hog and deer hunting. I really like the air rifle because I've chrony'd it shooting at 925FPS with 35.8 grain EunJin pellets which produces around 60 to 65 FPE of energy. For a .25 caliber air rifle it can hit pretty hard, but it is also loud (definitely not backyard friendly).

Anyway, not to get off subject. Congrats on the new air rifle Brant. I can't wait to see photos of the rifle and the targets you are shooting. :)

#13 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

Thanks - should arrive on Monday. I would definitely have to quiet a Sumatra down. What are you asking?

#14 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

I was going to ask $450 for it shipped. It comes with a probe with a foster quick connect I installed on it, a brand new check valve installed in it, two 6 round clips, about 140 or so 35.8 grain EunJin pellets, factory paperwork that came with it and a hard shell case. They run $650 from PA. I wanted to get more, but when I removed the end cap on the reservior to install the new check valve I put a few notch scratches on the cap. It doesn't look bad, but I know the scratches are there and therefore don't feel that I can get more than that for it.

I know they can be quieted down with aftermarket items, but I don't want to get into that out here in California. And it is pretty loud and powerful. It's a great airgun, but I think I need a pig/deer gun more and so I'm regretably parting with it. Let me know if you (or anyone you might know) are interested and I'll send you some photos of the gun and the scratches on the cap. :)

#15 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:07 PM

Even though I have an NC ordered the new S510 Carbine is much quieter than I expected. The walnut stock rivals my Air Ranger and is very nice. I will be testing JSB 14.3, 15.9, and 18.1 pellets.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,688 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

It sure looks nice Brant! I hope she shoots as good as it looks.

#17 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

First shots with the 15.9s looked good at 32 yards from the bench rest. About 1/4" for only 3 shot groups at the moment with selected pellets. This thing is seriously accurate. It may out shoot the Air Ranger - barely.

I think I'll rub some walnut oil on it.

#18 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

Nice. That is a beautiful air rifle and the stock is a work of art. If only I was independently wealthy. :(

#19 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

Glad you are liking your new air rifle. The more you shoot it the more you are going to like it. Very accurate rifles.

#20 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle racing, airguns, my family, hunting.

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

I have an AA S410 Extra FAC in .22 and it's pretty quiet but no where near as quiet as my .22 Rapid.

#21 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

Brant, that's gorgeous. Congratulations.

#22 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:37 PM

If you dont like the multi fill adapter that Air Arms guns require than you can eliminate it. I found a British company that sells an upgrade that replaces the fitting at the front of the air reservoir with a valved male foster fitting (Best Fittings).

It was just under $20 shipped. It took nine days to arrive from order entered date. Basically, the end cap now covers the new foster fitting just like a Marauder rifle so the quick disconnect works directly on the rifle.

http://www.bestfitti...13&cat=Air Arms

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users