#1 acewhite

acewhite

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Hunting Harleys & Honeys

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:42 AM

Im a new reloader and am ready to load my first rounds (30.06) but have a few questions first so I do it right-

I inherited most of the reloading equipment from my grandfather recently, and there was about a dozen containers of powder. They're probably about 10 years old. Is there any issues with using them? The powders are all in the original containers and appear normal. Theres also a few boxes of primers. Same question.

I've been messing around as i've been figuring this all out, and in reading a manual for 30.06 Springfield the powder type I tried ( I believe H4831) called for 61 grains. When I put the amount in the case it was pracically full. By full I mean there would be very little gap between the powder and the case. Im sure there has to be an optimum case capacity percentage? This just seemed overfull.
Any guidance?

#2 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:57 AM

Powder should be in good shape if it was in sealed containers and didnt get moisture in them.
As for capacity, could the powder be IMR4831? If so 61 grns fills 90-91% of the case. Its usually referred as load density I believe. Just make sure that for a load like that you are using the correct bullett weight.
You will also find powders that completely fill the case and you actually crunch the powder down when seating the bullet. These are known as Compressed loads usually noted in the loading manual. Make sure you do all the research as to powders and projectile weight. Be safe, and good luck.

#3 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

4831 is a slow powder for the 30-06. You will do better with something like IMR4895(the original powder for the 30-06) or IMR4064. IMR4350 is one that is often used especilly for beginers as it will fill the case pretty full also but give more speed than 4831 as a rule. IF you are loading for a M1Garand then use IMR4895 or IMR4064 as the gun was designed around IMR4895 and using powders like 4350 and 4831 you can bend the operating rod. You can use the Hodgdon powders(H4895 etc) instead of the IMR powders BUT be sure to use the HODGDON data for the Hodgdon powder and IMR data for the IMR powder. The numbers may be the same but they are not 100% interchangable.
One thing about using 4831 in the 30-06 is that you cannot get enough powder in the case to get into pressure problems. If you need/want any help I will be glad to do so. Just contact me. Been loading for many years.

PS---Your powder and primers should be fine. I have powder & primers from the 1960's which I still use. However I do use new powder/primers(and brass) for my BG hunting loads. If you do not have it get the Lyman#49 reloading manual and read it. It will answer most questions you will have and has good reloading data also. It is the best book for beginners to learn from and us old guys for data and refresher on loading.

#4 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:11 PM

Doug, You just amaze me with the way you spit out the facts straight from your head.
I can reccomend having an up to date reloading book, with recipts.
Tom

#5 acewhite

acewhite

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Hunting Harleys & Honeys

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:31 AM

4831 is a slow powder for the 30-06. You will do better with something like IMR4895(the original powder for the 30-06) or IMR4064. IMR4350 is one that is often used especilly for beginers as it will fill the case pretty full also but give more speed than 4831 as a rule. IF you are loading for a M1Garand then use IMR4895 or IMR4064 as the gun was designed around IMR4895 and using powders like 4350 and 4831 you can bend the operating rod. You can use the Hodgdon powders(H4895 etc) instead of the IMR powders BUT be sure to use the HODGDON data for the Hodgdon powder and IMR data for the IMR powder. The numbers may be the same but they are not 100% interchangable.
One thing about using 4831 in the 30-06 is that you cannot get enough powder in the case to get into pressure problems. If you need/want any help I will be glad to do so. Just contact me. Been loading for many years.

PS---Your powder and primers should be fine. I have powder & primers from the 1960's which I still use. However I do use new powder/primers(and brass) for my BG hunting loads. If you do not have it get the Lyman#49 reloading manual and read it. It will answer most questions you will have and has good reloading data also. It is the best book for beginners to learn from and us old guys for data and refresher on loading.

Excellent Thank You!!
I found some notes from Grandpa dating back to 2-3-50!
Includes his loads & results. Some of the notes are for reloads on a couple rifles I inherited as well so i'm golden!

Thanks for the great feedback- much appreciated

#6 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:17 PM

And remember, just because the book shows that you can go up to 61 grains doesn't mean that you can jump straight to that charge. Always start low and work up.

#7 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:02 PM

I usually aim for >90% case capacity when I develop loads. I don't like the powder having a lot of empty space to move around in, i feel that it adds another level of inconsistency that will affect accuracy.

As long as you don't compress the powder so much that it pushes the bullet back out of the case, you're fine. I use compressed loads in some of my guns including my 375 H&H and they work great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users