• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:25 AM

I got out early on Wednesday morning to hunt some Cottontails and Jack Rabbits.

The two cottontails that I harvested I shot withing 10 seconds of eachother. They were about 25 yards away. I stalked in from about 90 yards out and was actually looking for another cottontail that I had seen when I looked to my left and both of these young cottontails were looking at me. I slowly turned and raised my Marauder while I turned. I placed the crosshairs on the one at the back and pulled the trigger. It went straight down with a head shot. The second rabbit hopped about 2 feet closer and I immediately acquired it and fired. It also went right down.

I saw many other rabbits throughout the morning, but none would let me get close. I think someone had been shooting at them with shotguns because they were all on high alert. I did also get a shot at two jack rabbits, but I missed the one at about 65 yards and the second one I was sure I had hit. However, I had shot and tried to thread the pellet through the bush it was hiding behind and I must have hit the bush because when I went to get the jack, there was nothing there. Seeing as how I was taking a head shot, it had to have hit the bush because it couldn't have walked away if it got hit in the head.

It was a hot day, around 89 degrees and humid, but a fun day. My hunting buddy that went with me got his first Cottontail using his .22 Henry lever action. It took two shots, but he got it with the second shot.

The rabbits with my .25 Marauder:
Posted Image

A photo of just the rabbits:
Posted Image

I hope all of you have gotten a chance to get out and harvest some bunnies. :)

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:32 AM

Nice work Ray. They spook pretty easy after someone else shots at them.

#3 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

Nice going! Congrats.

#4 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:36 AM

Nice shooting ARH!

#5 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:39 AM

Thanks guys. :)

#6 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

I was wondering if you made it out yesterday or not? :signs1180lq: Seems like just the other week you were having a hard time just getting that first one, now you're out there keeping the pot full. Glad to hear it. Keep it up. there's still a long way to go before the season's over :yahoo:

#7 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

I'm hoping the rabbits hold up for me throughout the season. I'm going to need to find a few more rabbit spots (I have two, but want to have at least five that I can rotate). I saw plenty of rabbits, but for the most part I couldn't get close enough to take a shot before they bolted. I must have seen at least a dozen big Jack Rabbits and 15 cottontails (two of which I shot). I'm going to cook them up this weekend so some friends can try some fried rabbit.

:angry: The only major bummer of the hunting trip on the 4th was on the way back from our hunting spot we have to pass through the California Border Patrol check point (which I have been through with my same truck at least a dozen and a half times) and the "Drug Sniffer Dog" started running after my truck. So they stopped us and first asked what my citizen ship was. Huh? I thought to myself 'Do I sound like I live somewhere else?' :blink: I said "USA Sir." I got asked the same question many times and at least three other times by three different people. It was starting to frustrate me to no end! It didn't help that they guy asking me the questions had some sort of accent and spoke extremely fast, which made him very hard to understand and I had to think about what he was actually asking :doh[1]: . Then they took my license and had me pull to the side so that they could search my truck. When they asked if they could search the truck I said "No Problem. Go right ahead" and made a motion towards the truck Then they asked if either of us had been smoking any marijuana or if I had any marijuana or narcotics in our possession or in the truck. I had to chuckle out loud. My buddy doesn't get near that stuff and I told the five guys standing there that "I have never smoked pot or taken any drugs that weren't prescribed to me in my entire life!" I'm sure they hear that all the time, but in my case it is 100% the truth. I told the guy all I had in my truck were some Ibuprofen and that maybe their dog was smelling that my dog had been in the back of the truck, perhaps he smells the sage brush I drove through, or that maybe the dog was smelling that we had rabbits in the back of the truck earlier. They didn't like it when I said that and the dog guy gave me a dirty look and said "No, that's impossible." Like I said, I'm sure they hear that all the time, but I didn't give a crap what he thought :rolleyes: . I knew we were totally clean and spotless, and felt like they were treating me like a criminal because their dog had "sniffed" at my truck.

After being drilled about my citizen ship (which by the way I am an American citizen and I was born here, as were my parents and my grandparents (I'm of German, Irish, Scottish and Spanish (not from Mexico though) descent, with a very tiny splash of American Indian in there). So sue me. I can get a tan :harhar1[1]: ) and asked where I lived and what I had been doing over and over again, the guy searching the truck finally gave them the go ahead to let us go. I just looked at the guy and said "Thank You" :rolleyes: and we got into the truck and left. I understand they have a job to do and I appreciate what they do; however, while they were giving a perfectly clean, law abiding person the third degree there were probably illegals and drugs getting through because the stupid dog was sniffing my hunting truck instead of being at the checkpoint where it should have been.

Anyway, I hoping to find a few new spots that I don't have to go through any border checks to get to (And this wasn't at the actual border either. It wasn't at the border of a state, or the border into Mexico. It was a check point like the one near Camp Pendelton). If I have to go through that again, that will majorly suck. :angry:

#8 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:52 PM

Before getting to upset or take it too personal, you may want to consider a few things. First of all, if I am not mistaken, those dogs are trained to sniff out powder, explosives, and other stuff of such nature. You did mention that the buddy used a powder burner didn't you? The rifle or even spent case would be enough to set the doggie off. Also, it was the 4th of July and lots of people bring across illegal fireworks over the border. Did I mention that it was the 4th of July? :lol: That might explain things a whole lot differently. A dog that is trained to smell drugs and explosives (powder) gave a sign on a day wheere over 50% of the population lights off illegal explosives..........hmmmmm........I think they were just doing their job? Not all criminals look like criminals, some look just like an average guy out hunting for the holiday on his day off. Just thought I would show you how it looks from a different perspective B) . You just picked the wrong holiday to finally burn some powder out in the field :signlol2iu:

Glad you had fun though. And yes it sure would be nice if you could find another spot or two. It sounds like you need to carry a weed wacker along with that air gun out there :rofl2:

#9 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:47 PM

I suppose you are right and to be honest, I'm not really taking it personal, it just pissed me off at the time. I was very hot, tired and I just wanted to get back to camp to clean the rabbits, take a shower and drink a few beers. In the past I've had them start talking to me in Spanish before and I just look at them and say "Excuse me? :blink: I don't understand what you just said." Then they ask me in English if I'm a US citizen. I'm sorry, but I don't think I look that much like a Hispanic. Perhaps a little, but dang... how many 6'-2" tall Hispanics from Mexico do you see? And this was not a check point at the Mexico/US border. It was a checkpoint on HWY8 coming back from El Centro, California.

Concerning the gun powder, they didn't ask if I had any explosives or fireworks :lol: only if I had marijuana or narcotics. I also mentioned to them that we had been hunting and had rifles in the truck (I didn't want them freaking out when they opened the truck and saw gun cases). Plus, like I mentioned, the freaking guy with the accent that I couldn't understand asked me quite a few times what country I was a citizen of. I speak perfect English and the only accent I have might be a Californian accent, so I don't know why he chose to drill my on my citizenship. I should have been asking him what country he was a citizen of with the accent he had :pot:. I know, I know... calm down :rofl2: . Believe me, I'm calm. I just sound really worked up. I wish the "officer" would open his dang ears and listen to me the first time so I don't have to repeat myself to a dude that I can't understand when he speaks.

Oh well, now I know if it happens again to tell them that the dog could be smelling gun powder from our rifles. Hopefully if I go through there enough times and if they keep pulling me over they'll start to get the picture (maybe not though). Perhaps they'll just make me an honorary "Border Patrol Agent" and give me a sticker like they give kids when the fire fighters visit elementary schools :lol: . At least they could give me a cold drink or sandwich while they search my vehicle.

I know they are doing their job, and I know that all criminals don't look or act like criminals, believe me I do know that. o

Ps. Bisley, do you think if I take a weed wacker that I'll need to put it in a case and keep the weed line not loaded in the weed wacker? :signlol2iu: Yeah, I get it, weed... weed wacker to wack the weed. HA HA, funny guy. <_<

#10 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:55 AM

I was checked once at that same check point a few years back.Had my air rifle laying in a case in the back seat,and I think the guy just wanted to check me out...so he directed me to secondary...(no dog involved)...same questioning,etc...no big deal...

Funny about the dog chasing your truck..!! Bet he in fact smelled the rabbit scent....makes sense to me...

#11 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:37 AM

Yeah, you are right. Now that I think about it, it wasn't a big deal... just frustrating. At least if it happens again I'll know what to expect. ;)

#12 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

Yeah, it is surely the last thing we want to deal with, especially after a long hot day with cold drinks waiting. I was just trying to think of things that would have made the dog signal. Dead rabbits do have a smell. more like a stench, all to theselves. It could also be the hunting Gods way of telling you you aren't supposed to be near any powder burning guns :rofl2: . And I love the irony of a guy with such a strong accent you can hardly understand him asking you if you're legal, life sure has its funny moments.

By the way, gottta give ya credit, wasn't sure if you'd catch the "weed" wacker :smiley-outta-here:

#13 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

Please help me undestand one thing guys, by law pellet guns doesn't have to be carried in a gun case right?
Powder burnng guns yes.

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:27 PM

§ 926A. Interstate Transportation of Firearms
Release date: 2005-08-03
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. http://www4.law.corn...26---A000-.html

#15 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:33 PM

Why would anyone not want to carry their gun (air or powder) in at least a soft case. It only takes a second or two to open, and helps it from bouncing around, getting hit by anything, and getting dust on the scope lenses on the dirt roads?

#16 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:05 PM

SJ, thank you for the info.

I am asking only about pellet guns, not powder burners.

That means I didn't know the law and didn't know it.
I asked my local gun shop the reg and got a really bad answer from them that it was Ok to carry a pellet gun not in a gun case.
I will be making a trip back to the gun shop to discuss the laws with the owner to make sure guys know the law.

That means you cannot by this Crosman 1322 pellet gun from walmart any other store and carry it home without breaking the law.
Plus you need a gun safe to carry the pellets.

Posted Image

Bisley
My plans are to get a hardcase for my Mrod 5 cal pellet gun and all other bb or pellet to meet requirements by law and to protect my guns.

#17 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:29 PM

Wasn't directed so much at you personally screwwork, I just hear it a lot about people complaining about keeping guns cased, and honestly don't know why. Guns just have a nasty habit of bouncing around, sliding, and getting dinged up. And that's just on the highway :lol: . Pistols are obviously much less fragile, but I was just curious as to why anybody would not want to case it. Just wondering if I was missing something.

#18 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:43 AM

Thanks Bisley,
Last night I got caught up with breaking the law about carrying the air guns in a case last night.
I really don't like to break the law and especially with guns, it can be big touble LE and very costly. That made it hard time going to sleep last night.

The crazy thing is I more invested in air rifles now than powder burnering rifles after the 25 Cal Mrod.

Most of my air guns where non-scoped pellet guns, until the last few years they were not real expensive guns either.
The Mrod was going to get a case for it regardless of being a law, it is a expensive gun and I want the scope and gun protected and to keep my scope correctly sited in. The only thing I want on the Mrod and my others guns is some blood..
Now I get to go by some gun cases for the pellet guns.

ARH, sorry high jacking your hunting report..

#19 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:23 PM

No problem ScrewWork... information is information. I don't fret about people talking about other things within threads I start.

As far as taking airguns you purchase at a store like Wallyworld home, since they are typically in a box, package or clam pack, you don't have to worry about it because it is still in it's factory box or packaging. Once it is out of the package or box though, I would and I do always have my air guns, whether pistol or rifle in a case. It's better for protecting them and safer for me if I ever get stopped (like it did on the 4th).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users