• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

Since the 2013 hunting season has officially started for many of us with the rabbit opener, we should remember not to neglect those great pieces of equipment that get us out there to do it, our trucks vehicles :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: . Today was maintenance day for me. We always remember the tires and water, but let us not forget the other very important things like oils and air filters. And on the filter note, here s something you may want to consider: I don't know about your truck, but an air filter for mine is between $20-$40 depending on brand and quality. And it only takes two or three trips at most where I go to turn it into a dust bomb. Today I replaced it with a washable K&N filter (not the whole cold air assembly/intake, just the filter element) for less than $60. It will pay for itself many times over by the end of this hunting season alone. You may want to check into whether they have a factory replacement filter element for yours also, especially if you put a lot of miles on the fine silty sands like on deserts or farms.

Don't forget, many times we are the only vehicles around for miles. Make sure she is going to not only get you there this hunting season, but also get you back B) . Our guns aren't the only things we need to keep in working order to ensure we can hunt.

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:32 PM

Good reminder!
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#3 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, guns, and saddles,
    self appointed GURU of squeek shooting in Modoc County

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:13 PM

A very good reminder Bisley. I run a K&N for the very same reason. ED

#4 Hibs

Hibs

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:24 PM

Gotta be careful on what you run a re-usable air filter on (such as a K&N). If your vehicle is equiped with a Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor, the oils secreting from the K&N will often get all buggered up on your sensor and cause you all sorts of headaches. Paper filters are cheap, and catch more particles. I stick with them in most all of my vehicles.

#5 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,731 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:49 PM

:good:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#6 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,698 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:08 AM

I put a k&n filter and dual exhaust on my truck, what a differance. and my mechanic keeps them clean every 3000 miles. I am getting to old to do it my self. (broken back, and all the other excuses)
Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#7 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:48 PM

Gotta be careful on what you run a re-usable air filter on (such as a K&N). If your vehicle is equiped with a Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor, the oils secreting from the K&N will often get all buggered up on your sensor and cause you all sorts of headaches. Paper filters are cheap, and catch more particles. I stick with them in most all of my vehicles.

Mass air flow systems are few and far between these days, only on early fuel injected models, but yes it can cause problems I suppose. But i have to strongly disagree with paper being "cheap" and a better filter. $20 minimum a month during bird season versus $60 once is not cheap. And the washable filters must do a right fine job as there are many old dirt bikes out there with similar air filter that have thousands of hard, dusty, sandy, dirty miles on them B)

Hey Tom, since you just got that fine looking trailer, and I know it's not light, don't forget to give your truck brakes a good going over also. Would sure hate to hear about something bad happening to you or the new trailer.

#8 Hibs

Hibs

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:52 PM

There's a lot of vehicles on the road with a MAF sensor or something similar, even to this day. It wasn't just an early FI thing. I see what you're saying though, I guess if you lived on a gravel road that would be expensive to replace the paper filter constantly. If you have a speed density vehicle then it doesn't matter. Or if you blast the sensor with some electronics cleaner every so often it helps too. You can't really compare a washable filter from a dirtbike to one in a new car. Dirtbikes don't have all the sensors, and you rebuild the motor every year anyways LOL

#9 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,698 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:36 AM

Mass air flow systems are few and far between these days, only on early fuel injected models, but yes it can cause problems I suppose. But i have to strongly disagree with paper being "cheap" and a better filter. $20 minimum a month during bird season versus $60 once is not cheap. And the washable filters must do a right fine job as there are many old dirt bikes out there with similar air filter that have thousands of hard, dusty, sandy, dirty miles on them B)

Hey Tom, since you just got that fine looking trailer, and I know it's not light, don't forget to give your truck brakes a good going over also. Would sure hate to hear about something bad happening to you or the new trailer.

Bob,
Thanks for the brake reminder. My mechanic knows how I use my truck, and he keeps a good eye on stuff like that. Like I said, she goes in every 3000 miles. Last time I got brakes, I got the best he could get. I even do that with my wifes little sporty car.
Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#10 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

Then you are over oiling your K&N. Very common problem (The over oiling and then it causing propblems).

#11 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

I ran a K&N on my last truck. Had some MAF contam to mess with once on the K&N filter as it came out of the box. Went back to a paper Delco. The new truck has a factory paper filter and I'll probably not switch. I'm not trying to win a race to wherever I'm headed, I just want to get there and get back and have my truck last. So, if the K&N offers a few horsepower more, I'm going to have to live without it.

Here's an interesting blog on filters. http://www.nicoclub....oem-filter.html
It's not about how many, it's about how.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog or gun

Maintain a balance of nature, use a beautiful gun when shooting a beautiful bird

#12 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:32 PM

Boy, did you completely miss the point!!! Nobody is racing to get anywhere. Don't know where that came from??? Maybe you need reread the part about only replacing the filter so it can be cleaned part?! There is not even the word "performance" in that entire topic :doh[1]: . But I do have to change/clean it about once a month from September-February, and for that I will gladly wash it for a dollar or two (if that) versus $20+ a shot.

And I was just fixing to buy racing slicks for the old girl too :rofl2:

#13 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:22 PM

Not to jump on any side but you do have to buy the K&N filter oil also for it. I had one in an older P/U with no sensors etc. My new truck just gets paper Napa, made by Wix, air filters & Napa(wix) oil filters. I guess I would say each has its place. I change mine before and after deer/pronghorn season. If it gets too bad(dusty conditions) then also during the season if needed.
Of course if I get my deer right away it does not really matter.

Something I often see people forgetting is to check the battery and if it is the type add water. Be sure the connections are clean and preferably load test it. Do not forget the belts and hoses as the mode of transportation gets older. Put some glass cleaner and paper towels in it for out on the trail cleaning so you can see better as the sun moves down and gets into your eyes. I also carry some waterless hand cleaner and an extra quart of motor oil. If not for me then for the other guy who screwed up and needs it out in the sticks. Add a 12V small air compressor for low tires---Usually someone else who did not check theirs.
A bottle of pain pills in the glove box and I am ready to go once I save up enough cash for a tank of gas.

#14 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

:good:

Also make sure when you add oil don't forget the oil cap on your motor or you will smell burnt oil in your cab.....ask me how i know :roflmao3[1]:

#15 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

Also i change by battery every 4 to 5 years it does not matter if it needs it or not.I put a new delco battery in my 2007 GmC the other day wife left the radio on while she cleaned the truck and it drained it that was my sign to change it.You don't want to be in the sticks out in nowhere with a low or bead battery!
I also run a k.n filter you buy 2 cans one is a cleaner and the other is a oil spray .That cleaner spray works awesome once you spray it real well hit it with a water hose gently and everything comes off bugs dirt and all.You then let it dry and spray on the oil it is dyed red and easy to see what you just sprayed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users