13 replies to this topic

#1 dogslayer1313

dogslayer1313

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:14 PM

i am looking for either paper maps or downloadable maps of the Tahoe national forest that show sources of water. I have bought the forest service maps for the area but it doesn't show any water other than the major rivers/creeks. I have the Delorme topo program for the western states but it doesn't show water. I have spent hours looking online and the maps I have found of the area I currently hunt doesn't show the water hole in the area I currently hunt but they show two water sources that don't exist. I confirmed they don't exist after two long unnecessary hiking trips. I think my next step will be going to an outdoor sports store like REI to see what they have available. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

#2 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:15 AM

Trying to find water sources on anything, can sometimes be inconsistant at best. At least for me (& could be quite telling in itself. LOL) Also, there are many seeps and springs that are here today and gone tomorrow. So would be a physical impossibility for all water sources to show up at all times.

Anyway, while Google is obviously one excellent source, I do not have as much luck with it as many folks seem to. I am sure it is the nut behind the wheel (me), but some water sources on Google is just plain hard to tell / see that it is indeed water, & thus can be guess work.

The most reliable map, again, for me, are the old 7.5 minute paper topo maps. But they are expensive and do not cover a large area. However, I have found some real dandy, out of the way, water sources & hunting areas with these maps & a gps. For deer & quail mostly, with some of these areas being good for predators also of course.

Good Luck

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,592 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:20 AM

It's illegal to hunt over a watering hole. You can't occupy the area for more than 30 minutes without breaking the law. Look in the regulations.

§730. Camping Near or Occupying Wildlife Watering Places.

#4 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:34 AM

Yep, very true, ShooterJohn, and good reminder... although I didn't get that intent out of his or my post.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,592 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:37 AM

I know Frank, I just wanted to throw it out there that you have to be aware of it.

#6 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:39 AM

:good:

#7 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:59 AM

Also, there are many seeps and springs that are here today and gone tomorrow. So would be a physical impossibility for all water sources to show up at all times.

You are 200% right on with that one. My favorite little 6" wide creek only runs in the winter time, but holds a million birds when it does. You would never know it in the summer though if it weren't for the greenery. Which is why getting out and eyeballing is still about the best way to find anything. A big patch of green in the midst of standard chaparral is a dead give away. So put on the hiking boots and start pumping the fuel if you want the only 100% method of finding water, :smiley-sorry:

#8 SLOWMAN

SLOWMAN

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

forest service topo maps are about as close as you come to finding anything now a days. they definitely have everything mapped out for you.

#9 GSH

GSH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, (deer, elk, turkey, upland bird) wanting to get into predator hunting, fishing, mules and packing, fly rc airplanes, ride bicycle, both road and mtb. I also, along with my wife , build western cowboy spurs.

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

Try Tom Harrison Maps, he may have one of your area. They are waterproof and tear resistant plastic.

#10 Rob P.

Rob P.

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Outdoor activities. Hiking/camping, mtn and road biking, dressage and trail riding.

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

Try: www.caltopo.com

They have several types of USGS topo maps, forest service maps, visitor maps and other things for maps. You can print the maps yourself.

Most of the topo maps have springs annotated on them. You will have to do the footwork to see if there is a spring there or not but that's the case for any map.

#11 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Fishing shooting History and eating what I catch or shoot

Posted 15 November 2014 - 05:45 PM

As far as my experience tells me, the USGS topographic maps are the best.  The 7.5 minute series are the more recent  and are 1:24000 scale which means 1 inch on the map equals 2000 feet on the ground, very detailed.  The older 15 minute series is at 1:62500 scale which is about 1"=1 mile.  Both series show streams, roads, trails, claims, mines, and a lot more.  I have a large collection of these maps.  Reading these messages has moved me to get in touch with Shooter John about putting them up for sale.  I'm too old and crippled up to be wandering through the weeds with a map in my hands.

#12 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 08:58 AM

It's illegal to hunt over a watering hole. You can't occupy the area for more than 30 minutes without breaking the law. Look in the regulations.

§730. Camping Near or Occupying Wildlife Watering Places.

Just to clarify further, this does not mean ALL WATER. Only applies to Man Made Guzzlers and tanks intended for wildlife.

Natural water sources (springs, creeks, lakes, ponds, etc) and man made tanks/lakes/retention ponds are perfectly fine to hunt on/near. 

#13 Please take me hunting

Please take me hunting

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Want to learn how to hunt. Favorite part of the day is getting home from work to my baby girls who are ecstatic to see daddy walk in the front door.

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:19 PM

Thanks DD.

#14 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:22 AM

I saw Frank's post here and almost
freaked out until I saw the date of the post.
Frank always had good information.
Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users