7 replies to this topic

#1 asquirrelsworstenemy

asquirrelsworstenemy

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:30 AM

I'm getting into reloading, and have always been interested in molding my own bullets too. I have been reading up on melting lead down and was curious if it is necessary to add tin, or can you just pour pure lead into the molds? I know for my muzzleloader, I do not need to add anything but is it necessary for 45 long colt bullets? Thanks everyone!
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyways. -John WayneGod made man, Sam Colt made them equal.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,016 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

It depend on where you are getting your lead from and what it was used for. As far as adding tin that becomes a pain when you can buy perfectly good lead. I have cast bullets from almost every conceivable lead product and they all work pretty well. Old wheel weight were pretty hard and they worked well. But I was able to get a large quantity of lead linotype from a local newspaper years ago. Once you get some lead it's best to melt and clean it. I used to use plain of paraffin wax and an old fork attached to a wooden stick you scoop the dross or slag off the top of the pot. Stir the pot with your fork then touch the fork to the paraffin and let it drip into the pot. It smokes like crazy and you might get a little fire. But stir it in and it will bring the impurities to the top so that you can remove them. Then I usually set my molds on top of my melting pot to help start warming them. They need to be pretty hot to cast nice looking bullets that fill the mold. Pour several mold fulls and return the lead to the pot and the molds will heat up nicely. Then you can start knocking out some of your own bullets.
  • asquirrelsworstenemy likes this

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 asquirrelsworstenemy

asquirrelsworstenemy

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

Thanks Shooter John! I was planning on using tire weights that I find all over the place. Thanks for all your help!
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyways. -John WayneGod made man, Sam Colt made them equal.

#4 acewhite

acewhite

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Hunting Harleys & Honeys

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:43 PM

FYI you can buy 5# lead ingots from commercial plumbing suppliers
Proud to be American

#5 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:39 PM

Watch out for the current wheel weights . For the last couple of years they have been made of zinc or iron. DR

#6 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:54 AM

You will also need to get a lubrisizer to size the cast bullets. Also, faster rounds such as rifles require a little cap on the end of the bullet called a "gas check". My brother and I cast our own 38 specials. He also does his own 40 S&W. I tried 45ACP but I used a semi wad cutter instead of a round nose that didn't feed well in the 1911. As soon as I get a round nose mold for the 45 I'm going to try that again. We used old wheel weights and didn't add anything to it. We used the burning parafin and scraped off the dross like shooterjohn described. There are some youtube videos of guys melting down lead for casting bullets.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,016 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:00 AM

Jason, I shoot a Keith style semi wadcutter and it cycles in all of my .45's. I have polished all of the ramps in them but they work great. Been shooting them for over 30 years no hiccups.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#8 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:24 AM

If I got the ramp polished they probably would work. I also had them loaded light which probably didn't help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users