7 replies to this topic

#1 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

Well the topic says it all, good day for the rabbits today and a bad day for a skunk..
Left o-dark thrity to head out to Pubic land in Napa area and arrived before sun rise with 3 hours to hunt.
I only saw two Jack rabbits on the way to the wildlife area, normally I would see jack & cotton tails rabbits all over the place by the road.
Saw two raccons by hwy 780 & I80 exit right by McDonalds and was thinking I need a new coon hat, but common sence said to leave them alone.
The skunk was about 10 yards away and took the shot to the head so it was real quick kill for the 25cal M-rod.
The place was loaded with ticks, only two got me, one made it home with me and the other I could find myself at my truck before heading home. The deet worked pretty good I should have sprayed it on me before going hunting.

#2 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:05 PM

Most be a bad day because of the full moon I didn't get any rabbits either just saw one and didn't get a shot.

#3 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:43 AM

Something was up on Sunday. Usually I see rabbits all over and yesterday (Sunday) I only had a shot at two and got one. I saw about 6 jack rabbits and 4 cottontail. Usually I see a dozen or more cottontail easily. Where I was at it was hot too, which made it a contest of wills also. I plan on going out Wednesday, so perhaps it will be a more productive morning.

Here is the lone cottontail I harvested:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 rws fan

rws fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:My kids, shootin' stuff, hunting, hiking, scenic beaches, weather, running, imported beer, science, technology, fast cars, fast women, guns etc.

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:10 AM

It has been hot and windy out at my spot too. My buddy just text me that he seen at least 10+ cotton-tails in and around his property this morning, he's testing me right now lol.

Henry

#5 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:10 AM

We have been staking out in dark for the garbage/feeder raiding racoons that have been on high attack this year. We are allowed to use lethal means to dispatch the nuisance coons anytime which is pretty much all summer. This year they learned to pull the squirrel proof feeders from the steel hooks and drag them around to get the sunflower seeds out. The more I shoot them the braver the rest seem to get. Last year i took out 7 or 8 before they finally broke off the attacks. This year we are approaching 20 so far and there are many more. It must have been that warm winter. I have found it takes the 30+ FPE guns to get the coons reliably.

We have been blessed with no skunks so far this year thankfully but tons of rabbits the family doesn't let me touch. Most of them get eaten by the other critters. Squirrels have been in epidemic numbers because the winter didn't accomplish the normal adult freeze kill-off.

#6 True2ThySelf

True2ThySelf

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:16 AM

My buddy and I were out as well for the opener. We saw around 8 or so on the drive in, one cottontail was about the size of a closed fist. However, when we got to our hunting spot we only saw 1 jack and 3 cottontails. We bagged only 1 cottontail. I've heard the full moon theory before but I've never tried to collect enough data to confirm it. However, it seems to be true if yesterday is any indication. Also the brush seemed really dry compared to previous years.

#7 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

It was cloudy in Livermore and foggy in Napa so I never even knew we had a full moon on Sunday.
the fog burned off around 7am and I had a slight breeze.

I am at least glad some of you where able to get a cotton tail on the opener.

Brant,
Good luck with them coons.
We had one that was a problem but he has not been around for a while :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: I wounder what may have happened to it?
My wife & couldn't let the dog go out after dark without checking to see if it was in the yard.
He was bigger than our dog, the coon must of weighted aleast 16 to 18lbs.

#8 Bushwacker

Bushwacker

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:38 PM

Hi there, I see that you are a resident of Livermore. I too live in Livermore so it looks like we're practically neighbors. I recently took the Hunter Education Safety course at Chabot Gun Club. It was a 12 hour crash course. The long hours were a bit challenging but I was able to keep my focus and pass the exam in the end. I have not yet procured a hunting license because to be honest, I am totally new at this and really don't know where to go for small game or varmint hunting.
My main objective at the moment is to maybe hook up with someone and get first time hands-on experience out in the field. If you or anyone else in the East bay reading this post, don't mind going out with a newbie, I'd be much obliged if you would let me know. I am retired so barring any previous plans, I can usually take off any weekdays (Mondays thru Fridays) except on weekends.
I will be using a Benjamin Trail Nitro Piston 22 caliber air rifle. I bought this rifle two months ago and used it at the Livermore Range. Quite satisfied with the power. Pretty sure it will bring down small game like a cottontail with no problem.
Anyways, thanks for taking the time to read this post. I just thought I'd post this to see what kind of response I'd get.
John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users