#1 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:10 AM

Picked up a Marlin XL7 in 25-06 a couple months back. Not a bad rifle for under 400 bucks. Price was like 350 I believe. Put a redfield 3-9x40 scope on it for 125$. reloaded some nosler 100 grain spitzers with h4831/imr4831. 2inch groups on some with the best being about .75 CTC at 100 yards when I do my part, its all stock no mods yet. I'm still breaking the barrel in. It only has about 70 rounds through it. I'm new to the 25-06 but this gun seems to like the hotter loads. It seemed the higher grain of powder I used the tighter my groups were. And the trigger on this thing is awesome. It has the pro fire trigger and I love it. Was shooting of a block of wood too because I forgot to pick up a bi-pod. Need to check and make sure the barrel is free floated also.

From you more experienced '06 users how do these things shoot from 100-500 yards? Its gonna be a pig rifle mostly I was thinking what is the furthest you'd go? I'm comfortable shooting out to about 300 yards but just so I know what do you think the max effective range of this caliber is?

Seems like a decent rifle for the money though. Gotta get my toys now before wife has our 4th baby in 4 years :/

#2 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:10 AM

There is a way to solve the baby a year problem.

If you plan to use the 25-06 on pigs do not use the Nosler BT bullets. They partition bullets will be better. I use the partition bullets for all my 25-06(and 257Weatherby and 257Roberts) hunting. Or better yet Swift A-Frames I plan to use in Africa or my next pig hunt here. Try this load with a 100gr bullet. Use 56grs of IMR4831 and I get 3437FPS avarage with a SD of 30. Or with the 100gr bullet use 52.5grs of Hybrid100 for 3281FPS average and an SD of 10. Both are super accurate in my Ruger.

#3 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:59 PM

Forget about free-floating the barrel. Check the parts schematic that was in the box.

Otherwise, I love mine in .270

#4 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:50 PM

Its a great caliber and with the right bullet I'd have no reservations about taking a 400 yard shot at a big hog. I have two different loads that I use in my .25. For a big game load I use the Hornady 117gr SST over a hefty charge of IMR-4350. For a varmint load I use a 75gr v-max over a stiff charge of H-4350. It offers some truely amazing long range varminting power. I've hit ground squirrels with that load at almost 600 yards and even that far out it will chuck their shredded carcasses 10 feet in the air.

#5 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:08 PM

I loaded up some nosler spitzers 100 grain bt's to break the barrel in with. Bought and fired the first 100 so far. Also got some speer 100 grain bt spitzers I just loaded up for paper punchers.
For me the noslers I had down to about .8 inches CTC at 100 yards. But I've only put 100 rounds through the barrel. I'm wondering if it will tighten a little. I mean its just a pig/deer gun so its not too big a deal. It should do fine. But I'm still anxious to find out. Its 100% stock. I'm thinking about a boyds wooden thumbhole stock though. But my hunting bullets are going to be the 100 grain barnes ttsx once I work up the loads. Hopefully this gun will like them. I got another 40 to load up and I'll be taking 90 to the range tomorrow morning in Manteca if anyone wants to go burn some powder in the morning :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users