#1 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:53 AM

What kind of tools/machines would we need to make our own barrels and receivers and other small parts? And what is the cost of that kind of a set up. I'm completely new to that, but was thinking in a year or so, when we get our house of trying some of it out. Just for hobby.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#2 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

Major items: a metal lathe, a mill, a heat treating setup, and the knowledge. The first three are easy to buy (not cheap to buy), the latter you could always take some course work for (both machining tech and gunsmithing). Then a whole crap load of files, stones, fixtures, etc. depending on what exactly you are going to make, and how safe you want the prodcut to be. Some parts can be made with a drill in a vise and some files, or just files, but others...

Not a light endeavor. Machining/metallurgy knowledge to begin would help (and help understand the complexity of how much more you need to learn). One of my retirement goals is to get some machining tech knowledge.

#3 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:25 PM

It all depends on how good of a gun you want!

Before you laugh, John Brownings first guns were made with hand tools only. Even the barrels were hand made and hand rifled. DR

#4 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,529 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:02 PM

Don't forget about the reamer, drill bits, and rifling bits also $$$!!! Way more hassle than it would be worth, unless you hit the Lotto maybe :rolleyes:

#5 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:53 PM

Yeah the wife might night like the price tag on this. But still one never knows.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#6 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:57 PM

Not saying don't do it!! Its a dream of mine - but it takes major investment (money and traing) to do ina worthwhile manor. Not a hobby industry in this country where we expect our guns to last and not explode in our faces!

Something you can definitely work ona bit at a time (aquiring equipment and knowledge), just don't expet to be able to just jump in. There are a few gunsmiths on here - maybe ask if you can volunteer doing some clean up or something for a bit to see what is involved - could be a huge eye opener either way: 1) I GOTTA do this!! or 2) oh, maybe not quite for me.

#7 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

Making your own guns is doable, rifling a barrel can be done with hand tools that you have made yourself. But muzzle loaders are going to be a much easier place to start. Or you could start by rebuilding older guns into something you would want to shoot. Sporters have gotten a bad name over the years but my grandpa had built quite a few old military rifles into great sporters. Ive also built a few from parts guns for very little money.

Heres one I made for my grandson, the trigger and bolt are from a Marlin 120, the barrel is a cast off Remington, and the reciver and stock I made.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:42 PM

Here's another built from parts. A friend was restoring a Swede Mauser and this was built from the leftovers.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I traded a shotgun to have the barrel fitted and the bolt turned down.
after replacing the trigger it will be getting a cammo job. DR

#9 rustygun

rustygun

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Interests:All types of hunting, but mostley small game, varmints and predators. X-Military (Army) 20 years. Been away from the hunting game for almost 22 years

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

Years ago in Sonoma I lived acrossed the street from a retired Army Col. that had his whole garage set up for gunsmithing. He had all the toys needed. When I would go visit him I came home drooling. He had tons of $ invested.

#10 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

Well maybe one day. I know I want to restore some old rifles and also maintain my own as well.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#11 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

The only major piece of equipment I own is a good drill press. I can do small milling projects on it . And I use a lathe at work. My hydrolic press I made myself. and my sanders and bench grinders are all built from cast offs and parts. As I get closer to retiring Im looking for a lathe. thats probably the thing Ill miss most about work! DR

#12 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:47 AM

.......Or you could start by rebuilding older guns into something you would want to shoot. Sporters have gotten a bad name over the years but my grandpa had built quite a few old military rifles into great sporters.......

Yep. The term "sporter" once meant taking a suitable military rifle and taking the time to make a nice hunting rifle out if it. Now it seems to mean taking any piece of junk military rifle available, chopping a foot or two off the fore end, and adding a scope via some crappy clamp on mount.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users