• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:39 PM

I bought a couple of cigar boxes full of call parts with the idea of making a few of my own. In one box is some molded plastic open reed mouth pieces, some with the reeds on them and some without. In playimg with them I have been able to do a pretty good impression of a pup in distress. And by adding a small plastic funnel I can do a fair impression of a howler. [still has a plastic twang to it but Ill get past that with a wood or cow horn chamber later]. The problem is the reeds lock up. Not every time but often enough to be anoying. I want to be able to pick it up and play the right song on demand. Ive tried adjusting the reeds in and out with no real help. So maybe the mouth pieces need some tuning before putting them in service.

So my questions are... Is there a way to adjust the reeds to stop the lock up?
Do I need to make adjustments to the mouth pieces?
Or is there a good book that you could point me to that will help me figure it out?

Thanks all, DR

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,391 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:09 PM

DR it's more the quality of the reeds than anything else. There are cheap and then their are good quality reeds. I'm sure Braz or Jawbreaker can tell you more. But my quality calls only stick if they get lint or some other debris in them. If that happens I blow threw them backward to remove the obstruction.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

There are so many variable in reeds and tone boards that It isn't something that you learn easily. I am still learning how to tweek the noise. With tone boards, if you have a flat spot the reed will lock up on you but if the reed is too long( meaning sticking out past the air channel then it can lock up too) and there is the thickness of the reeds the amount of back preasure and so on and so on...

Play around with them and you will figure out the way that works best for you.

#4 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:56 PM

Thanks, I do have them pulled out near the tip of the Toneboard[?]. that may be the problem. Should the tip of the reed just expose the very end of the air channel? DR

#5 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

flush with the end of the air channel or just a unt hair over.

#6 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:08 PM

did you try a heavier Reed Return Spring?
Hic Ego Statio

#7 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,735 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:40 AM

Sounds Greek to me.
Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#8 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,793 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:11 PM

Jawbeaker and I both belong to a national Call makers forum. An awful lot of the discussion on that forum is how to tune a call. If you are interested in making calls that is the place to go. Besides all the discussions there are a lot of tutorials that are very well done. Here is a link. http://thogamecallsf...s.com/index.php
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#9 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:32 PM

Thanks Ill check it out! DR

#10 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:46 PM

Thanks again guys, I think Ive fixed the problem. I trimed the reeds to a rounded profile, and readjusted the length. So far no more lockups! I have some thicker reeds but I didnt like the sound they made. Thanks also for the web sight,Theres alot of good info in there.DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users