modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, guns, and saddles,
    self appointed GURU of squeek shooting in Modoc County

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:55 PM

Bought me a new hunting rig. 1988 susuki samuri lol, copper colored, good shape, little and will go anywhere. It is small enough so if it quits me I can just pack it out or bury it lol. I took it up into the forest this morning, it is fun to drive. Ed
  • Jamesjeff44 likes this

#2 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:24 PM

Like an old original flat fender jeep! (or even the CJ5s)

#3 fyrewil

fyrewil

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:37 PM

I have 1986 and love it, nice and small to get in the good places too!

#4 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:21 PM

I didn't know much about them, but my son said they will go damn near anywhere. Lol now I will spend money on it, bumpers, winch, gun racks, etc, etc lol. Well I guess I can put off buying a new rifle lol. ED

#5 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:29 PM

Well I guess I can put off buying a new rifle lol. ED

May as well, because if your even half my size, there won't be any room for you and a rifle in there :rofl2:
A winch is a good idea though, it never hurts to carry a spare motor around :pot: :bleh[1]:
I kid, the narrow width can be nice at times, but myself, I find I need that narrow width about 1/100th of the time I need the extra space of my extra cab longbed truck :D . But I would love to trade gas station bills with you any day of the week! :rolleyes:

#6 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:51 PM

Bisley, I was surprised, it has a lot of room in it. I am almost 67, crippled up from to much fun in my life lol, over weight, but I can get in and out of it easier then I can get into my 02 Dodge 3/4 ton truck. Since I fell off my pony I won't be riding him for a couple more weeks, so this little rig will suit me just fine. ED

#7 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:22 PM

Yeah, I've been surprised by a few small vehicles in my life that had more room than I thought. Never been a a Samurai though. Is that a 3 cylinder motor like the Geo line, or a 4 cylinder? I was talking with a guy at work the other day that is pulling 45mpg out of his 250,000 mile Geo. Kills me. I can't even pull that kind of mileage being towed on a trailer :rofl2:

#8 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:29 PM

It is a 4 cyl. Not sure what kind of mileage it gets. Been told it would get 25 plus. Ed

#9 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,992 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:58 AM

Ed, good score on the Sammi! They are pretty good little vehicles. On the Highway they lack a little in power but they are great huntin rigs. I tried to find a clean one to no avail, and bought a Suzuki sidekick instead, Even with 4wd it got 30 MPG on the highway. So if you ever need a motor for the Sammi, get a Geo Tracker/Sidkick motor. They bolt right in, but they have 35 more HP than the Sammi engine. Good luck with the new rig!
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#10 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:12 AM

Thanks Grant, thats good to know about the Geo Tracker/Sidekick motors.

#11 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,739 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:39 AM

Why would you buy a truck that will give you 35 mpg,
instead of one like mine that will give you 10 mpg?
Tom

Attached Files

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#12 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:Predator Calling, Squirrel Shooting, Reloading

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:18 AM

Ed, shoot Rabbidog a PM. He runs a Samurai & it does great, he had some carb issues but he got his rebuilt & now he's getting great mileage again.

It really is a go anywhere do anything rig. A little cozy, but for a single guy its perfect.

Lee

#13 204destroyer

204destroyer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:18 PM

Had one for several years, great little rig. I spent alot of money upgrading everything --Lifted it 4 inches--large tires--put a gear reduction in the transfer case so it could handle the big tires--put ARB air lockers front and rear--8000 lb winch--and on and on and on. Do yourself a favor and just put good rubber on it and it will go anywhere you want it to. Dont spend alot of money like I did. It would go wherever you wanted to, but for most hunting situations they will anyway. I had mine for about 10 years, any questions shoot them my way, not bragging but I know them inside out. Congrats its a good hunting rig. :good:

#14 lepcur

lepcur

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Bear hunting
    Hunting preds.
    Bird shoothing

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:55 PM

• I think you'll really like it has a woods rig, they get around good and seem to take a beating. I have had a 86 for about 7 years now and I use mine as a dog hunting rig for bear so I usually have alot of x-tra weight in mine, I can haul from 6-8 dogs and throw the bear on top of the box. I get about 30mpg and when I hunt local I can run all day on 3-5 gallons of gas. Here's a pic. for ya so you can see what I did to make it a dog rig, heck it work good for any kind of hunting with all the added storage it has. Mike
Posted Image

#15 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:04 PM

Good looking rig Mike! Think I saw your rig on a different forum. Mine is a rag top, thinking of building or buy a roof rack. Ed

#16 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:12 AM

It still gets good mph, being lifted with big tires, wow. nice
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#17 rabiddog

rabiddog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:02 PM

Ed, shoot Rabbidog a PM. He runs a Samurai & it does great, he had some carb issues but he got his rebuilt & now he's getting great mileage again.

It really is a go anywhere do anything rig. A little cozy, but for a single guy its perfect.

Lee

Fact is I just sold mine and the only reason is space. My son will be deer hunting with me next year and I needed more room.....Sammy went to a good home and I'm going to look at a Jeep Cherokee in the morning.
Sammy will be missed and my son was sad to see it go but the last hunting trip we took it was real cramped with Colby,Don and me 3 rifles 2 back packs and a lunch box+ jackets stuffed in every crack in the pm when it got hot.
I realized I needed to get bigger so I'm shopping.
HISTORY, IN GENERAL,ONLY INFORMS US OF WHAT BAD GOVERNMENT IS. THOMAS JEFFERSONANYONE WHO TRADES LIBERTY FOR SECURITY DESERVES NEITHER LIBERTY OR SECURITY. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

#18 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:30 PM

Just got my Sammy to pass smog, 500 dollars later. I bought it in Oregon, their smog laws arn't as bad as Calif. Nice thing about Modoc county is I don't have to smog it again unless I sell it, that just one of the benny's for living here. It had passenger car tires on it, not good in the rocks. So I bought tires for it today, another 650. Damn thats aready 2 rifles lol. Anyway I sure am having fun with it,Ed

#19 Switch

Switch

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • Interests:My daughters tell me I'm like Dr. Doolittle because I talk to the animals...too bad they don't always like what I have to say.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

Bought a new one in 1986. I put 100k on the motor and then had to rebuild it. Great little rig that went anywhere I pointed her. Enjoy the Sammy!

#20 Jamesjeff44

Jamesjeff44

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:54 PM

I had an 86 Sammy and it would go anywhere. snow, mud, deep puddles, I loved it. Downside was most of my hunting spots are a few hrs away, and on the freeways, you really feel vulnerable cause they are so light. The wind can make you do a complete unplanned lane change and that's scary. Towed it to Oregon and of course that cost a fortune in fuel. Definetly fun after getting there but not cost effective getting it there.
One thing I did do to make it really dependable, was to put in one of those Japanese engines that are switched in Japan when they have so many miles on them. A relatively cheap fix and not that hard to do.
After retirement, I got the ultimate hunting vehicle. A Toyota 4x4 TRD addition that is quiet and solid. But thinking back on my Samurai, it was fun while it lasted. jamesjeff44

#21 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

supposed to be the best 4wd ever made according to one of those 4wd magazines.  I sure want one!

#22 superlucky

superlucky

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Varmint Hunting, Coyote Hunting, Fishing

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

Ed

Congratulations on the new rig. I hope it gives you years of good service!

Bill

#23 microtus

microtus

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Interests:About average for everybody else in here.

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:27 AM

Anything and everything you might ever not want to do to a Sami :pot:

http://www.pirate4x4...orum/13-suzuki/

Watching the government rape the 4th to pillage the 2nd.

#24 Jamesjeff44

Jamesjeff44

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:14 AM

I had one and found that it would go places my sons CJ wouldn't make it. Especially through real wet mud. Seems it was so light, it wouldn't sink if you kept up the right speed and it's only down side, was most of my favorite kill zones are over 200 miles from San Jose where I live and you either have to tow it, or drive slower than most traffic to get there. I miss it to this day and am always looking for an 86-88 to restore.

#25 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:32 AM

I love my Sammy lol. Only thing I don't like about it is the leg room. I can only drive it for about an hour then I have to get out and walk around, lol should say hobble around. The little sucker will go any were this old man wants to drive it lol. ED

#26 Graystone

Graystone

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Hunting - rifle or archery for deer and elk. Also hunt pig, ground squirrel, coyote, duck...
    Reloading, Gunsmithing (amateur)
    Fishing

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:23 AM

Hi ED, congrats on the Sammy. I have an 88, love it. I tow mine to where I hunt. It's scary driving it on the freeway. If you tow it is critical that you put the transmission in second gear and the transfer case in neutral... learned this the hard way. I modified my door hinges so the doors can be removed when desired. Also installed a windshield fold down kit.

disk006.jpg

#27 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:58 PM

Yeah Jim they are a little scary at times, like when a big truck passes you and almost blows you off the road lol. I love the little rig. It goes anywhere I point it lol and it is cheap on fuel too. Ed

#28 StoneTower

StoneTower

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Pulling the trigger and setting the hook!!!

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:43 AM

They do tip. In the middle of January on a Sunday (I had to choose between duck hunting that day and going to the Rubicon) I went with a friend in his Zuke to run the trail into Loon Lake. He did well most of the day keeping up with the Jeeps and Toyotas that were much more modified to specifically run the trail. We made it up and down some rough stuff without incident until we came to this little rock ledge.

Zuke.jpg

I could not believe how little damage was done.  His external cage took 99% off the damage. I am going to keep my CJ7 on fire roads and hard pavement.

#29 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:45 PM

Lol I am not a rock climber. I don't ask my Sammy to do that kind of stuff, hell I wouldn't ask my Jeep to if I had one. Then again I am an old man lol. Ed

#30 HogHunter714

HogHunter714

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:13 AM

Love the Sammys. My buddy has an 86 and that thing will go pretty much anywhere. We have taken it 7 hrs on the road to get to our hunting camp (Which I dont recommend). It's easier to just tow the damn thing! Pretty decent on gas! When you remove the back seats it holds most of your camping gear as well.....Few years back it held a nice California Black Bear! That was fun trying to stuff him in there......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users