Photo

Reloading Some 3" 1-1/2 Oz Hd Bb Coyote Loads.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

Since I have to shoot lead free shotgun pellets at coyotes in the area I live and hunt in I have stocked up on the Rem HD UHD 2-3/4" shells that Bass Pro Shops has been selling for only $9.98 per box of 10 shells.
http://www.basspro.c.../10215215/44043
I can't believe that BPS still has these loads at this price. I don't think any other 2-3/4" shells can compete with these HD BB loads for coyotes or geese.
These 2-3/4" 1-1/4 oz HD BB loads work pretty good on coyotes just the way they are but I wanted to reload some 3" 1-1/2oz loads to get 10 to 14 more pellets per shell.

After removing the HD shot from the 2-3/4" shells I have been putting a fiber filler wad in the cup wad and 1-1/4 oz of lead shot in them and re-crimping them. I will use these shells for dove , quail & chukar.
Posted Image
The wad that is in the 2-3/4" Rem UHD shells looks very similar to the Ballistic Products Incorporated TPS1275 wad.

These 2-3/4" UHD crimps open up real easy with a small Phillips head screw driver and the screw driver handle opens up the hull to almost wide open.

I have to open up eleven boxes "110 shells" of the 1-1/4 oz loads to reload 100 shells of the 3" 1-1/2 oz loads. Since I am using the wad, powder and primer in the 2-3/4" hulls that I am taking the HD BBs out of, I figure the cost of 8.5 lbs of Tungsten-Bronze-Iron HD shot is about $92.40. Right now some places are selling Hevi-Shot for over $200.00 for 7 pounds.
Posted Image

I got the reloading data out of BPI's "Handloading Hevi-Shot" manual. I am weighing the powder and shot charges for every shell that I am reloading.

After buying new primed Fiocchi 3" hulls, Steel powder and BPI TPS1275 wads it looks like these 3" 1-1/2 oz HD BB loads will cost me right at $1.24 per shell to reload.

Similar 3" Hevi-Shot loads are now going for $3.00 to $4.50 per shell right now.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#2 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:21 PM

Man that's a lot of work, but a lot of savings too. I looked for the 2-3/4 HD UHD at BPS last weekend but they were out :504: . May have to order it online. Looks like fun. I am going to eventually get around to ordering some of the BPI multi-shot wads for plain old lead #4 buckshot just to help keep it patterning tighter and farther than with a standard wad. My last attempt with a standard shot wad did not do well :rolleyes: . Hope you have better luck.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,054 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:29 PM

Bob, if you were to get stopped by fish & game how would you explain your reloads? I was told it has to be a known brand for them to allow them as non lead. I load all of my own ammo too and am curious. I have been told this is a problem area. Just curious if you've talked to anyone at fish & game about shotgun shell reloads?

Certified ammo http://www.dfg.ca.go...tifiedammo.html

Certification process for non lead ammo http://www.dfg.ca.go...lead/index.html

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:32 PM

Hey John, is it a known brand, or just known "projectiles". I am not sure about shotgun, but the rifle rule is listed as a known bullet. I also do know that they have the right to seize your ammo and take it back for testing, maybe that would be how they check his reloads if it is of any question?

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,054 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:36 PM

I'm not sure either but if you are loading ammo their is a certification process for ammo does the average guy fall into that area? I think we do because we are manufacturing a shell.

Time waits for no one--

#6 dabob

dabob

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

Bob, if you were to get stopped by fish & game how would you explain your reloads? I was told it has to be a known brand for them to allow them as non lead. I load all of my own ammo too and am curious. I have been told this is a problem area. Just curious if you've talked to anyone at fish & game about shotgun shell reloads?

I have part of the lead free bullet boxes and the shotgun shell boxes in my truck glove compartment. Quite a few of my reloaded rifle ammo boxes have part of the lead free bullet box scotch taped on the inside of the box lid.

If you don't have lead free rifle or shotgun ammo in the factory box F&G Wardens won't have a clue of what we are using. On the rifle ammo and shotgun ammo it does not say lead free on the ammo itself.

For lead free shotgun shells anything that is approved for Waterfowl Hunting is legal in the Condor zone.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#7 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:06 PM

I would sure assume so. And loading shot should (at least to me) be considered the same as loading a typical "bullet". As long as he is using approved material in it of course. I can't help but think that this may be why they inserted that rule about being able to take some of the ammo from you to test with. If thr DFG Officer were willing, it would be easy to prove it wasn't lead, just open a load and let them try to smash the shot. Steel or tungsten, as you know, will be much harder. And bismuth looks nothing like lead..

That is definitely an interesting point you got there though John. with any luck next weekend while scouting or the weekend after while rabbit hunting I will see the young Officer that usually hangs around one of my favorite spots. He is always very,very friendly and knowledgeable, he is also one of the few Officers that hunts :good: . I will ask him for the "text book" answer if I see him.

#8 dabob

dabob

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:32 PM

Thanks for making me paranoid John! LOL

I just went out to my reloading room and cut some more Rem UHD HD 12 ga boxes apart and some of my Hornady NTX and Nosler BT Lead Free bullet boxes so I could tape them to my plastic ammo boxes.

While I was doing that I thought about making copies of this post. A copy of this thread with the pictures on it will be in my glove compartment. What more proof could they want? If I got it off of the internet it has to be true! LOL

Thanks for the reminder John.

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,054 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:47 PM

Yeah Bob, I just know how they can be sometimes. I'm sure they would never say anything but then there's always that one guy looking for something that really isn't there.

Time waits for no one--

#10 dabob

dabob

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:30 AM

The last three mornings have been pretty cool for this time of the year so I ended up reloading right at 230 of the 3" HD loads with the shot that I have taken out of the Rem HD UHD 1-1/4 oz loads.

I wish I would have bought more of the Rem UHD 2X4 HD Duplex loads when BPS had them. It was pretty easy to separate the #4s from the #2s once I figured out how to do it.

I ended up reloading about 90 shells with 1-3/8 oz of HD #4s, 30 shells with 1-1/2 oz of HD #2s and 110 shells with 1-1/2 oz of HD BBs. I had to trim off about 1/8" of the petals on the BPI TPS1275 wads because the wads were too long. With the petals trimmed off all of the HD BB pellets were sitting inside the wad.

I will probably use the HD #4s and #2s on ducks and geese.

#11 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:37 PM

I didn't see the DFG Officer today, but I did see the (BLM) Ranger, so I asked him if he knew anything about the the lead-ban law and such and about reloaded non-toxic. He mentioned that one the Officers explained to him one time how they can check and tell if it is lead or non-toxic in the shells in the field without taking them apart, but he could not remember exactly how he said they do it. But he does remember having that conversation with them. I would have preferred to have spoken to the very nice young, knowledgeable Officer that is usually out there, maybe here soon I can catch him again. But that is what I was told thus far, for what it's worth. I will definitely let you know if/when I get the chance to speak with the Officer himself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users