Photo

How Do You Carry Your Handgun? Holster Ideas?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Sanch

Sanch

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:44 PM

Hello everyone, I would like to announce that I've just purchased a new revolver, Ruger GP100 4in in SS to be exact :yahoo: . Can't wait to pick it up. Anyway, I've been shopping around for a good holster. I'll be carrying this ruger in the bush and would like something comfortable and easy to pull from, just in case I encounter a predator, drug trafficker, meth head, or a nice size jack rabbit. You know, the usual in good ol So cal. I've been leaning towards a chest holster, particularly the guide's choice holster from Diamond D customs or the chest holster made by blackhawk, but I'm open to other options. So what do you folks use? Shoulder, Hip, Chest? what do you recommend or currently use for this same gun or something similar.

#2 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:49 PM

A shoulder holster/chest holster comes to mind for Me. Because sitting down and calling, a regular holster may be awkward to reach for. It could be trapped against the ground. Just my thoughts. Good luck with your purchase.

#3 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

i carry mine loaded and close . . . . . lol

chest rig sounds good to me.

#4 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:18 PM

Congrats on the purchase, however, if you have any kind of binocular harness system (like most do) the chest holster will not work. And if you use hand calls with a neck lanyard, they will also get in the way. A 4" is easy to carry on the side even while sitting and calling, especially since the GP is not a super large frame.

#5 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:31 PM

I carry my pistols in crossdraw hip holsters. The main reason is because it keeps the butt of my pistol from banging up the stock of my rifle when I am carrying it slung from my shoulder. The other reason is because with a crossdraw you can draw with either hand. A crossdraw holster is also easier to sit down with and much easier to draw from the sitting position.

#6 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:03 PM

Yeah clampdaddy, but for guys like me it would take a half hour to reach around my gut and get it IF I could even reach it :rofl2:

I should have said earlier too, forget about getting to your sidearm fast. If you do have any troubles, two or four legged, they will be on you before you even think about pulling that thing! If you need something that fast, use the rifle or shotgun in your hands, then worry about drawing a sidearm B)

#7 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:29 PM

Depends on what other gear you are carrying or have strapped to you. I have a drop leg holster for my 1911, but I rarely carry it anyways.

#8 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

I use an IWB, but that is also what I normally use on a daily basis for concealed carry.

#9 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:34 PM

Bisley and Clampdaddy are right on this subject. Listen to thier voice of experience may I suggest.
Having a good bino holding system is essential. My neck got tired with the weight of the binos with a standard neck strap. Get the shoulder suspension systems for your binos.
Heck I even have a dead varmint counter around my neck as well...and a small type of shoulder holster for my range finder.
I used to lose consentration trying to remember just how many darn varmints I shot...so I got the counter.
Thus in my case, my ample torso space has been taken or reserved for other equipment.
My little 38 airweight SW snubby - with snake shot is in a Milt Sparks IWB cross draw.
For me it's hard to hit snakes with a 22-250 sighted for 100 yards when I find them on a trail....just a few feet ahead.
Doing the pistol carry on the strong side-right will bang into the stock of the rifle when it is carried...no doubt.
As the guys said...no need to reach for a pistol for two or four legged criters when you have a good shotgun or rifle in your hands.
Hope this helps....oh and factor in weather. How do you lug all this stuff around in the fields on a day when it's 90 degrees....?

#10 Sanch

Sanch

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:41 PM

Thanks for all the input, guys. Currently I carry a 1911 on the hip. It is kind of annoying when carrying my rifle on a sling or sitting down, so that's why I'm more fond of the shoulder/chest holster options. I do carry binos, depending on what game I'm after, but they are a small pair that fit inside a small pouch that I attach to my belt. I am due for a bino upgrade, something with a little more magnification, but I've never really put any thought into how I would carry it. I could see were a shoulder/chest rig could interfere with that. I would just use my rifle instead of a handgun, but there are time when I'm after birds or rabbits with only a 12ga and bird shot. I guess that's better than nothing. True be told I'd probably fire that first anyway now that I think about it. Looks like I'll just have to experiment and dress for the occasion :-)

#11 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:26 PM

Like Clampdaddy, I like a cross draw best. its easy to walk and sit in. DR

#12 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:36 PM

I do carry binos, depending on what game I'm after, but they are a small pair that fit inside a small pouch that I attach to my belt.

Hard way to go. First off, they are never there, handy when you need them. Then there's whole zipper or velcro sound as you take them out on the stand.

I do carry binos, depending on what game I'm after, but they are a small pair that fit inside a small pouch that I attach to my belt. I am due for a bino upgrade, something with a little more magnification, but I've never really put any thought into how I would carry it.

Magnification is not all it's cracked up to be. Get a good pair of 8x42's, you can see just as well as with 10x42's, if not better, especially for coyote ranges. It was what was suggested to me by many on here last year when I upgraded and I am sure glad I listened :D . And I would also suggest the same carry method they suggested to me, a bino harness. I have the Crooked Horn and love it. Don't know how I did without it for so many years :blush: . I also added the bino-sheld which help keep it covered and anchored to your chest. I would never think of going without it again, and suggest the same to you. Just make sure you buy the correct size, as there are three sizes.

And two and four legged troubles aside, don't worry about getting a quick draw on that rabbit with a sidearm, there are lots of other rabbits out there if you don't get that one fast enough. Not shooting a measly rabbit is a small price to pay for comfortably carrying your equipment all day, trust me :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#13 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:54 AM

For a day out calling coyotes I usually just carry one of my 22's. I'll holster them when it's warm out. During the cold winter days I'll usually just slip a small 22lr revolver in a coat pocket.

I have a couple different holsters for my mark 2 but usually use a Uncle Mike hip holster. I'll wear it cross draw to avoid it hitting the stock. Sometimes if I feel like it I'll wear a 1911 or maybe my Vaquero but they can be a bit messy for a coup de grace...I have a couple Milt Sparks holsters as well but usually just use Uncle Mike for those as well. They are a nice holster for the money IMO. Sometimes they get a bit dirty when you are sitting on the ground calling but it doesn't hurt a thing. Personally don't care much for shoulder/chest rigs.

I also never wear Binocs while out calling coyotes...tried them but found them unnecessary.

#14 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:55 PM

Used to carry a Taurus 99 in the military style with the flap (I think just Uncle Mike's) - Has the little spring loaded latch. Protected the gun pretty well, and was relatively quick access. (just pull down on the latch ring, and then sweep the flap up with the ball of teh thumb as you garb the grip with your fingers.)

Carried a Smith 14 in a Bianchi shoulder rig for a while as well. Also more that having it under teh jacket/coat protected it pretty well.

Usually just carry a pair of compact 10X24 binoculars, so pocket, fanny pack pouch, or the case they came in on teh belt always worked fine for those, so never really dealt with binocs on the chest.

Curious about holster again, though as well, as I want to carry my Vaquero. Figure it will go strong side, as I usually keep rifles in a left hand ready sling carry if I am walking, so would make it easy to draw either side. May look at cross draw. Mostly have to worry about when actually out in teh field, as certainly can't just put it on in the morning before heading out like I used to be able to do.

Anyone have any experience with this guy?

http://www.simplyrugged.com/

#15 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:07 PM

I"ve got several of them, an dlike them. Mine are for every day carry for concealed carry, so they are IWB type also. Seem to be well made and a decent price. All my evey day carry pieces are small ones, like the big ones have 3 1-2" barrels and down to 1 7-8". I can't speak to how they will wrk for bigger handguns.

#16 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:37 PM

Thanks Braz (sorry for a slight hijack OP!). I'm pretty sure quality would be comparable.

#17 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Farming, Trucks, Sprint Car Racing, NASCAR

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:19 PM

I Know what you mean about sitting down and it being awkward to get out with a hip holster. I have had that happen before. and it just depends on what else your carrying if it gets in the way or not. I have been lookin into chest holsters too

#18 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

I know this is a little older thread, but the OP mentioned the Diamond D Chest holster. Anyone on here use one of these? I'm thinking I might like this better for running Hog Dogs with my 357 on my chest rather than my drop leg holstered 1911.

#19 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

Personally you need to see what works best for you... IM comfortable wearing mine on my leg, on front of my waist off to the side a bit near my pelvic bone, also in a shoulder holster..depends which one IM carrying .... What works for someone else may not be comfortable for you.. So you need to try several positions out and figure out what works best for you. 

#20 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

I have used a Uncle Mike's for my 9mm and if you position it right it doesn't bother me.

#21 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

Dave

If you aren't carrying a long gun, a gut or shoulder (under arm) holster makes sense. When carrying a long gun, I prefer a mid height hip holster.  Cross draw may be more comfortable to some people.

#22 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,837 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

I know this is a little older thread, but the OP mentioned the Diamond D Chest holster. Anyone on here use one of these? I'm thinking I might like this better for running Hog Dogs with my 357 on my chest rather than my drop leg holstered 1911.

we used shoulder holsters when we hog hunted allot ,they worked great keeping up with the dogs. Mine is my dads old ww2 shoulder holster for the 45. He was an Mp with Patton. 3rd Army 6th armored div.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users