• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

Just a note listing 3 favorite loads for my 22-250 Remington 700 SPS Varmint with 26" barrel.

First, I've had my current 250 for 2 years now. I've owned 6, 250's over 30+ years. The one I have now is my favorite of all, for various reasons. 5 out of 6 were / are extremely accurate, with the least accurate rifle still producing decent groups, for most hunters I would guess?

I could not begin to count the thousands of rounds, numerous loads, powders & bullets I tested through all these rifles. Mostly due to whenever I sold a rifle the records went with it. However, most of these 250's did like lots of different powders & bullets. By using 1 or more reloading manual, one shouldn't have too much trouble finding a mininum, middle or max load to their liking. If you've been on the CPC very long, you know my need for speed, as it (speed) n e v e r has a bad day. lol

Anyway, this rifle will easily make 1 hole groups at 100 yards with 3 & 4 shots; Consistently! And as I did again today. The 5th shot usually opens the group up to approx 1/2 - 3/4", thus (almost) ruining my day. lol (j.k)... So with that in mind, the loads are:

1). 50 gr Nosler balistic tip... 36.5 grs of IMR 8208 XBR, chronographed @ 3915 fps. This "may" be the least accurate of the 3? Maybe! (well, at least (slower) velocity wise. lol)

2). 40 gr Nosler b.t... 38.5 grs of IMR 8208 XBR, chrono'd at 4300 fps (4290 to be exact). This "may" be my favorite coyote load. Maybe! (but what a laser)

3). 35 gr. Nosler Lead Free... 38.5 grs of Benchmark, "estimated" at 4500+ fps. (pending chrono). This of course is my Condor Range load, and only bullet not yet tested on a coyote. This scares even me, at these ultra high speeds on how, or if, it will do on a dog. It's the only non lead, of any brand, that I could get to shoot in my 14" twist tube. This is one extremely accurate load!

Accidentally omitted one of the best things about the 35 & 40 gr loads is that they both hit to the same P.O.I. at 100 yards, & is another reason why I switched from the 50gr load to the 40gr.

As a side note, the 40 gr Nosler lead free has litteraly slammed several coyotes for us from our 223's at approx 3800 fps. However, it is not as accurate as the 35 gr in either the 223 or 250. In fact we could not get the 40 grain Non-lead to work at all in our 14" twist 250's.

Oh, & of course the disclaimer... The above loads are MAXIMUM, & should be "approached" (from below) with caution.

Again, just sharing... Thanks!

Frank

#2 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:49 PM

So do you just fill the case with powder Frank, or do you go so far as to take a wooden dowel and and a hammer to compress it to get those speeds? :rofl2:
Man, those things are moving right along! It will be interesting to say the least at what the little 35gr pills do. It will also be interesting to the "thump" at those speeds :D

#3 STPilot

STPilot

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Flying, Jet Ski's, Photography... Oh and Shootin' Stuff!!

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:53 PM

Thanks Frank! Always enjoy reading your loading (and shooting) stuff. If I ever decide to get a 250, I'll be calling you first!! :)

#4 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:50 PM

LOL, Yeah, Bob, I actually do have other loads that have to be trickled in, more with my 223 than the 250. Surprising, eh? lol The 3 loads above do not fill the case. Believe one powder inside the shoulder area, & the other right at the shoulder, if I remember right?

Hopefully I will get a chance to report on those 35 grainers within the next few months. We'll see!

Thanks for the kind words, Tim. And look forward to that call should you end up with a 250. :good:

#5 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:34 AM

Frank, Are you spiking the powder with C-4 again?
Tom

#6 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:56 AM

So on average Frank how many rounds at those speeds till you re barrel?

#7 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:34 AM

LOL, Hey Tom, it's a (secret) homemade recipe that I'm spiking them with. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

Stan, I honestly don't know (yet) on what my poor barrel life will be at those speeds. Perhaps 1,000 rnds as a guess? We'll see! I'm at 386 rounds fired so far, but am done for the most part. Just going to hunt, and test zero occasionaly, especially after I drop the rifle while hunting like I always seem to do. :glare:

#8 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:03 PM

I can't wait until this time next year after Frank has dropped a few song dogs and gotten bored with that 35gr laser of his.. He will then build his own wildcat, The 22-250 FI (Frank Improved) Belted Magnum, which will be a 338 Win Mag necked down to .223 and loaded like a Black Powder cartridge where you fill it up with as much powder as it will take and compress it with the bullet :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Don't laugh, you know you want to do it :lol:

On a serious note, it is great that not only are you getting the speed that you like, but they are also shooting well for you. Glad to hear all of it worked out for you, that isn't easy with leaded bullets let alone the unleaded crap.

#9 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

:smiley-funny-post-sign: Bob, you don't know close to the truth that is... Then again, I guess you do. LOL

And Thanks for the kind words... As you say, it is always nice when something comes altogether

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users