2 replies to this topic

#1 Marlin55

Marlin55

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

I have a simple Mossberg 500. The kind Big 5 sells often on sale it holds 9 shells and has a 20 in barrel. Any how some times when I go out to target shoot it will spit a un used shell out the bottom. It is as if it misses the elevator and just falls out. It does not happen often and over all it has worked fine for over 500 rounds. Was just curious what may cause this.
MEMBER OF THE CLUB TO REDUCE REDUNDANCY.

CLUB MEMBERS WORKING TO REDUCE REDUNDANCY!

#2 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:38 PM

I have an old 1400 Winchester (grampa's) that would do the same thing, but my problem was age and wear. The shell stops (on the side of the trigger assembly) had press pins that were worn out and loose, a couple tacks with the wire feeder kept them in place and it now works 100%. What happens (at least to me) was that the stops did not keep the shell far enough in the mag tube to let the lifter drop all the way down and pick it up, thus, one round would fall to the ground, then the lifter would come down and the second (actually third) round would get picked up by the lifter. I essentially had a two shot semi-auto and was not going to live with that! I would start there myself.

These are what the shell stops look like, and you will see how they hold the shell in place with the bent lips on the ends of them near the magazine B)
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 True2ThySelf

True2ThySelf

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:58 PM

I don't know what's causing your problem but I have a similar one with my Mossberg 500. After firing a shell I will try to eject it and more often than not it will not eject fully preventing a new shell from being loaded. If it's not that problem then the shell will fully eject but the new shell isn't aligned properly and will not load. It's frustrating but I think I've become used to it because I usually only try fire one shot while target shooting or hunting (unfortunately it doesn't mean I often hit my target). Once you figure it out, let us know, maybe it'll help solve my dilemma.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users