#1 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:51 PM

Yesterday I went to check on some trail cameras and do some pig scouting with a friend of mine that guides pig hunts. We are going to have to change the way we are setting up the trail cameras so the cattle can't rub up against them.
Posted Image
The above picture was taken after a cow broke the strap brackets on one of my trail cameras.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

We shot squirrels for about 3 hours. At around 6:00 pm we went looking for pigs so the guide would have a better idea of what he wanted to do for this mornings hunt "Thursday 5/31/12". We watched some pigs drink water from about 1000 yards away so the guide had a good plan on what he wanted to do this morning.

On our way back to the ranch bunkhouses we saw some more pigs and the guide told his friend that was along with us that he could shoot at them if he wanted to.

There was a sow with 6 piglets in the front and what ended up being two dry sows following the sow and piglets. The shooter hit the first dry sow in the head and dropped it. The second dry sow stopped pretty close to the dead sow and then the shooter shot that dry sow in the head. The Rem 700 223 squirrel rifle dropped both pigs in their tracks at about 50 yards away.
Posted Image
These two pigs ended up being this guys wedding present. He is getting married this weekend.

Posted Image
This is the guide quartering out the two pigs in front of the truck headlights. I was impressed with his skinning and quartering job on these two pigs. It only took him about 25 minutes to have all the meat from these two pigs bagged up.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#2 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, guns, and saddles,
    self appointed GURU of squeek shooting in Modoc County

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:01 PM

Great pictures!

#3 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,437 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:09 PM

Sweet :smiley_green_with_envy:
Them guides do know their Posted Image . I remember old Eldon gutting ours in short time with just a little old Buck 110 (with about a 2-1/2" blade). That's another reason they sure earn their money.

#4 rustygun

rustygun

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Interests:All types of hunting, but mostley small game, varmints and predators. X-Military (Army) 20 years. Been away from the hunting game for almost 22 years

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:58 PM

Great pic's, right up and Bacon to boot. Keep it up.

#5 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:22 PM

Bisley, I hunted with Eldon Bergman about 15 years ago and I too was impressed with how quickly he gutted our two pigs with that little pocket knife of his. I also noticed how much of that little blade was worn away from constant sharpening over the years.

#6 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,437 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:29 PM

:rofl2:Yeah, when he first pulled out that little 2-1/2" blade I started looking for the Candid Camera crew :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: . I remember thinking "This is some kind of joke, right?". But boy did I sure get schooled on what those old guides can do! I had a whole new found respect after that one.

Tell me the truth, if someone had told you about it without seeing it with your own eyes, would you have believed it? :D

#7 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:03 PM

Bisley honestly....If I hadn't seen it for myself, I would have asked what you had been smoking. LOL

That knife was so small, and the blade so worn, that I almost sent Eldon a new knife as a thank you gift for a great hunt. After thinking about it though I thought my gift my come across as a insult. I figured that Eldon had probably had that knife since he was a kid and the sentimental value and history of it was priceless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users