• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:44 PM

Well, my quest for a (better than) good, NON lead load for my 22-250 is now over. I Hope! lol

My 223 non lead loads have been solved for a bit, & has been my 250 causing me work. Until today!

I shot 2, 5 shot groups with a 35 gr Non lead Nosler & Benchmark powder. The best target (posted below) put all 5 shots under 3/8" @ 100 yards. My 2nd target put 5 shots in 5/8" & thus unfit for a pic.

Oh, & of course it is F A S T ... lol Estimated velocity at 4500+ fps from 26" barrel; and going by some of my other previous chrono'd loads. But we'll see

Attached Files

#2 True2ThySelf

True2ThySelf

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

Just seeing a group size that small makes me :smiley_green_with_envy: and makes me realize that I definitely need to practise more. Now that you've found a good load, go find some good coyotes to use them on :D

#3 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:18 PM

Very nice Frank .

I had a .22-250 once but it drove me nuts . Not sure if the barrel was " off " the rec or what . I ended selling it as a " usable " 700 action .

Andy

#4 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:33 PM

That's a nice group, but you missed both the bullseye and the dime :rofl2:
An estimated 4500fps from a 26" barrel!!! Heck, even if you miss, the wind from that speed should knock it over. And if not, you can just reach out and hit it with the barrel without even getting up :bleh[1]:

On a serious note, don't you just love that feeling when it all comes together? :signs1180lq:

#5 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,889 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:00 PM

I dunno Frank.. You barely nicked the Big Bullseye, Missed the dime completely... I think more load testing is necessary... :rofl2: Of course Im Kidding! Very Impressive! That was the new Savage wasnt it? :tease: Indeed a good group Frank! Keep it up!
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#6 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:39 PM

Nice group, Frank. What rifle are you shooting? Rem 700 VS?

One of the guys at the range was shooting an old style Rem 700 VS .308 last weekend with blued heavy barrel, black and grey HS stock and original Rem trigger. He was printing consistent .50 MOA 5-shot groups with 42.0 grains of IMR 4064 and SMK 168's. Nice to see that rifle out there.

My .204 Ruger is the one that's been challenging for me to get a load worked out for lately. I put it into an HS Precision Rem 700 5R stock last weekend and it shot a .661 MOA 5-shot best group with Sierra Blitzking 39 grainers and 25.7 grains of Benchmark. Or I'd see 3 touching and 2 touching elsewhere but an overall .8" group. I think I'm going to have to go to 32 grain bullets to get it down below a half-inch, SBK's or maybe V-Max flat base. My .223 and .22-250 are pretty consistent .45 MOA shooters but I haven't seen that kind of accuracy yet from my .204.

#7 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:44 PM

Yeah, True, while friends & I have slain a few coyotes with the 40gr non lead from our 223s with instant kills, it will be interesting to see how these 35 grainers do, especially in the ultra fast 250. I'm a little nervous, but look forward to it & will keep everyone posted.

Ya know, Andy, I've owned 5 or 6(?) 250s, & did have one (non Remington) that I never got to shoot straight. How do you like the non-Remmy line, instead of me saying Savage? :rofl2: (true story). Plus all this non lead cxxp has complicated things now. Ugh!

Bob & Grant, MANY years ago I was showing a semi new shooter a similar target, & would you believe those were the exact words he used. Only difference was, he was Serious! I even tried explaining it to him, only to see him get more defensive, figuring he was right. OMG, I still haven't gotten over that one... obviously! :signlol2iu:

Mike, I'm down to only 2 predator rifles these days, & both are Remington 700s. 223 was a VLS & 250 a SPS. I put H.S. Precision stocks on both & love 'em. I totally belileve it on that 700 308. I've seen the same thing with that rifle & caliber AND 4064 powder.

Not sure about the 32 grainers, Mike. When I had my 204 for about 2 years & approx 800 rounds through it, the 39gr Sierra Blitzking was not only best in my rifle (a Rem 700 of course), but also best in 2 of my friend's 204s. Those are still excellent groups you're getting. The 32 gr may be worth a peek at btw? I think we sometimes get to expecting too much, & then believing we can take on Desert Fox or someone. Sometimes! LOL

I have to admit though, due to the 204 extremely limited # of bullets it likes, & to a lesser degree, powder, along with seldom, if ever, obtaining advertised velocities, is why I got rid of mine. Please don't misunderstand, as the 204 is indeed a great round,

Another load in my 204 was with 23.5 25.0 grs of RL 10X and the 39gr Sierra Blitzking. Just a thought.

Thanks All

#8 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:56 PM

Bob & Grant, MANY years ago I was showing a semi new shooter a similar target, & would you believe those were the exact words he used. Only difference was, he was Serious! I even tried explaining it to him, only to see him get more defensive, figuring he was right. OMG, I still haven't gotten over that one... obviously! :signlol2iu: (Grant see my next "Savage" remarks. LOL)

Sadly, I believe it. What's even scarier is that people like that are allowed to handle guns :rolleyes:
And just so you know, every rifle I own shoots like that every time I first get to the range. It isn't until they all start talking and pointing and laughing at me that I then take my stand off the 25 yard line and the groups start to open W A Y up :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

#9 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:02 PM

:smiley-funny-post-sign: That (25 yd line), or I usually blow the group with the 2nd shot. LOL

And so true, Bob, on folks like that shouldn't be allowed to own firearms. Scares me!

#10 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:04 PM

Frank...very impressive for the 22-250. What kind of life to the barrel do you expect shooting at 4500 ft/sec.
I've got some 40 gr. Noslers going 3600 ft/sec with dime size accuracy from my Remmy...but none in the same hole.
Guess I'm restricted to adult varmints.

#11 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:27 PM

Too funny, Rob...

Anyway, barrel life would likely be quite short. I'm guessing 1,000 - 1,200 rounds max. But won't know until I get there of course. LOL I have 368 rounds through it right now, most with the 50 gr lead at 3915 fps. Good point btw!

So far the 40 gr Nosler lead bullets, although accurate, have been the least accurate in my current 250. But I feel like I'm almost there though. I have had excellent results with other 250's I've owned & the 40gr lead, so believe it is just a matter of finding the sweet spot. And again, I think I am close. We'll see next week! Btw, the 50gr lead & 35 gr non lead are the most accurate so far.

If it were not for the non lead, Condor range, I would not be going through all this extensive load testing, and of course would extend barrel life. Once this barrel is shot out, I will put a custom Douglas Premium barrel on it, as I have done a couple other times in the past. We'll see!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users