• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Outdoor activity. Diving. Fishing, Hiking, Hunting and Camping.

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:03 PM

Finally have chance to go out trying my air rifle. Went to friend's farm in Riverside area and she told me that she have squirrels and rabbits stealing their vege and orange. I asked her if she don't mind I bring my air rifle to help and she said. sure.!!
arrived at 9 AM ( she does not living at the farm so I have to wait for her to open the gate), by the time many of squirrels already hiding under ground. Saw couple of cotton tail and she asked me to take them out too. I was not sure if I could do it even at private proprety and those rabbits ate all her new vege plant. I told her I will check before I begin to shoot them.
Begin walking around and saw couple of squirrel on the wood pile.
Posted Image

sit down and get my first shot. Saw the squirrel came down from the tree and man.. that feellllllllllllllllll so good.
Posted Image

I sit under the tree and total got 6 today by 11 AM. Got too hot and call it a day to beat the traffic home. She said she is going to make a copy of key so I can go there early in the morning to hunt the squirrels and rabbits. lol..
My son took this picture of me.
Posted Image
He shot couple of squirrels too with my benjamin all weather .177. Can't wait to go back next Saturday.

Question. If land owner asked me to get raid of cotton tail rabbit in their farm. Can I shoot it off season?

Ken

#2 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:21 PM

Ken,
You can do any thing you want, But shooting Cottontail out of season is against the law.
Fish and game can give you a very expensive fine.
Tom

#3 Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

That is what I was thinking too. I told her that by the end of June I will be all over to getting those cottontail for her. But now I am going to stick with ground squirrels . She said she also have Coyotes at night and that was the reason she is afraid of raise chicken, Not sure if my .22 is enough to get thes coyotes but I am going to try camp there couple nights to see. Thanks for the info Knocked up ^^

Ken

#4 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

Nice job getting those 6 ground squirrels. They are tricky little critters. Come July you'll be able to take out those cottontails for her.

#5 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:41 PM

Nice job. Be sure and get there Sunday July 1st bright and early so you can have yourself a nice (rabbit) dinner that night too :drool:

#6 Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:31 AM

Thanks ARH and Bisley. While I was walking around the ranch I saw more than 12 cottontails jumping all over. One was huge and very colorful. She said that neighbor is organic vege farm and those rabbits eats very good. I couldn't take picture from my phone camera yesterday but next Saturday I will bring better camera with me.
during the visit I did not hear the gunshots but saw some oil barrel with many bullet holes. She said last Summer she hire some amigos to help clean and they were target practic and shooting some rabbits too. Maybe I should bring my shotgun with me in July just in case.

#7 rustygun

rustygun

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:All types of hunting, but mostley small game, varmints and predators. X-Military (Army) 20 years. Been away from the hunting game for almost 22 years

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:55 AM

Good job on the squirrels and nice pic's. Sounds like you have a good place for the first of July and looking forward to your report with pictures. :good:

#8 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:41 PM

Maybe I should bring my shotgun with me in July just in case.

Absofreakinglutely B) . You're in for a yummy treat this July :drool:

#9 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:57 PM

You don't have to wait until July 1st if the cottontails are causing serious injury or damage to the plants and you have the landowner's written permission.

California Fish and Game states: "A ruling by the Attorney General in 2006 now authorizes that cottontails and brush rabbits may be killed at any time if they are found to be damaging landscaping, ornamental plants, crops and/or gardens (FGC Section 4186.)" https://californiaou...ation-2/page/4/

Here's the initial California Attorney General's opinion dated April 27, 2004. Note that "material harm" to plants is required, not just nibbling on the lawn. "We conclude that cottontail and brush rabbits that are eating landscaping, ornamental plants, or gardens may be trapped or killed if it can be established that they are materially harming such plants." http://ag.ca.gov/opi...pdfs/03-806.pdf

In a later opinion 06-109 published on January 5, 2007, the California Attorney General said that it was lawful for a homeowner's association to control an infestation of cottontails that was materially harming landscaping by hiring people to shoot the rabbits with high powered air rifles even though it was not hunting season. If it's part of a pest control effort, no hunting license is required from Fish and Game because it's not hunting -- it's pest control. http://ag.ca.gov/cms...1-11_06-109.pdf

"In essence, we reasoned that if rabbits are causing material harm to crops, including ornamental plants, they constitute "pests" rather than "game." (Id. at p. 47.) Consequently, the restrictions on hunting birds and mammals contained in the Fish and Game Code, as implemented and enforced by the Commission and Department, do not apply to the trapping or killing of rabbits as part of a "pest" control effort. No hunting license or other specific authorization from the Commission or the Department is required to control an infestation of rabbits. (Id. at p. 46.) By the same token, the Commission and the Department do not have the statutory authority to prohibit the use of pest control methods to eradicate an infestation of rabbits."

California Fish and Game Code Section 4186 (last modified: February 13, 2012) states:

"Nothing in this code prohibits the owner or tenant of land, or any person authorized in writing by that owner or tenant, from taking cottontail or brush rabbits during any time of the year when damage to crops or forage is being experienced on that land. Any person other than the owner or tenant of the land shall have in possession when transporting rabbits from the property, written authority from the owner or tenant of land where those rabbits were taken. Rabbits taken under this section shall not be sold."

If you shoot the cottontails before July 1st in order to prevent or control depredation, make sure you have in your possession written permission of the landowner stating that you are authorized to shoot the cottontails to control depredation and prevent material harm to crops or landscaping.

#10 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:14 PM

Wouldn't it just be easier to wait the 30 days and have absolutely no problems or slips to be filled out or forgotten? A month is child's play :rolleyes:

#11 rustygun

rustygun

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:All types of hunting, but mostley small game, varmints and predators. X-Military (Army) 20 years. Been away from the hunting game for almost 22 years

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

I would agree with Bisley on this. Besides they will get used to see you around and not a threat, then wham dinner in the pot. :pot:

#12 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:54 AM

Exactly as Rustygun put it... if the cottontails get used to your presence, you will lull them into a feeling of calm and being secure to you being there. Then when they least expect it you'll put the smack down on them and onto the stove they'll go. :653:

#13 Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:55 PM

Thanks for all the advise. I have speak with the land owner and she said she is welling to sign off a permission for me if I need. I am going to bring her sweet potato branches and some seeds of Veges for her to grow at her farm. I will see how thick of population they are ( she said were a lots of them) and what kind of damage they cause after she plant those sweet potato branches. The farm is only 32 acres of Orange. Avocado and walnuts trees. Out side of her fence are some kind of animal protection area ( Mockingbird reservoir like 8 or 9 miles away I think). Once it is legle season to hunt I can hunt other places but I think if I could do it as pest control as she asked to help the problem. That might be a favor for her not for me. ^^.

Maybe a dumb question. If I go there just hunt the squirrels for now and don't shoot the rabbits. Will they know that I wasn't targeting them?
Also if she asked me to kill the coyotes for her farm that coming to kill her chicken. Night vision scope can be use or it is still ilegal ? ( as I wasn't use it as hunting but pest control? )

Ken

#14 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:45 PM

Also if she asked me to kill the coyotes for her farm that coming to kill her chicken. Night vision scope can be use or it is still ilegal ? ( as I wasn't use it as hunting but pest control? )

Ken

Uh-uh, nope, no way, don't do it :huh:

#15 Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:53 PM

Okay. Understood.. Thanks Bisley

#16 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:54 PM

Bisley's right. Don't risk it. You don't want to be the test case in an enforcement proceeding trying to rely on that argument for the use of night vision.

#17 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:24 PM

Yep. I would definitely trust what Bisley is telling you. :good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users