7 replies to this topic

#1 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:10 PM

I am hoping some of you older folks on here might have had one or still have one & can answer a question .

Did / does your gun have a firing pin spring ? I have had my gun since 94 . My dad had it since the mid 60's . He would have never taken it apart .

The reason I ask is that the other day it failed to fire but had a " light " strike . I have seen this happen before in other rimfires , broken pin / spring , soemtimes , was the problem . So I popped out the pin expecting to see a broken firing pin & spring . But what came out was the firing pin , in 1 piece , and no spring but a series of bushings ( 2 were metal 1 was "plastic/synthetic " , yellowish ) .

I have not seen a schematic for my Lever take down , just the push buttons & they all show a firing pin spring .

I sincerly doubt it is the ammo because I only use PMC " Moderator " & when I found out about it being discontinued I bought 4k of it , in 2 different lots . The ones not firing ( 4 out of 70 ) were from the 1 lot of 1500 . never had a miss fire with the other 1496 rds .

Any info would be appreciated ,

Andy

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,687 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:01 PM

Here is a break down of the gun and no spring.

http://www.gunpartsc...aspx?catid=8402

#3 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:55 PM

I knew you , SJ , would have some info . You know WAAAAAY too much about most everything on here , and I THANK YOU for that .

But the schematic makes me wonder where did the " bushings " come from ? They actually limit how far the firing pin protrudes .

Do I need to shorten a bushing , to further protrusion ?

or

Check into replacing the " hammer spring " ?

I have 2500 more rds for this gun .I need to keep it running .

Andy

#4 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:20 PM

I have put it on here before, but will put it up here again. This site has tons of OEM manuals, which have schematics in them. including what you were looking for. Many times the guns I'm looking for don't have the schematic on Numrich's which is what lead me to this site:

Gun Manuals

#5 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:15 PM

Actually Bob , that was were I found the manuel for my browning " competition " .

i hit Numrich but did not find my " series / gun " on it .

Which still brings me too , ifthere is no spring , what are the bushings doing in there ?

I will try to post a pic of them .

Andy

#6 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:06 PM

Yeah, please post a pic if you get the chance. None of the schematic show any springs, let alone bushings. Only thing I can think of is if the bushings help to center the firing pin??? It would help to see what they look like though before I make any assumptions. If that is the case, maybe just a little lube on the bushings is necessary, If it is really dry, it may be making it hard for the firing pin to slide through the bushings causing the light strikes. I would try this first since it is both easy, and free, plus it requires no mods to the gun (yet) and then go from there. I know my brother bought a used Marlin lever gun that was hit and miss (light strikes) until I cleaned and lubed the firing pin on it too.

#7 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:19 AM

Bob,
I can not figure out how to post pics on here but I will send them to your email .

Andy

#8 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:07 PM

No problem, I went ahead and posted them on here so anybody else with an idea also can maybe help get it figured out. You are correct, there sure as heck isn't anything like that in the schematics!!! After seeing the pics and how the diameter of the bushings match that of the pin, I am all but positive they do two tings. One is that if they are in fact from the factory, they are there to support and center the pin as I thought. The other, I,m going out on a limb here, but I think the plastic bushing may also help as a buffer stop for the firing pin. Looking at the pin itself, it shows no damage as far as mushrooming where the hammer hits it. It also still looks well rounded, not flat and worn, where the pin strikes the rim. This means the pin does not look as tough it has shortened, which leads me to my original thought, just a bit of resistance hanging up and no need to shorten any bushings. You can see the wear marks (shiny spots) where they have obviously been rubbing. You may want to try just running some steel wool or a very, very fine emery cloth over it to see if there are any burrs, then oil it up real good and try it. Another thing you can do is to remove one of the metal bushings, since the pin does have a retaining slot also on the hammer side, then pull the powder and lead from a .22 and fire it with just the priming mixture and see how hard it hits. If the bushings do act as a stop, the rim will mashed and you will know what the bushings are for. If it has no effect on the length of travel of the firing pin, you may also want to consider removing them all (or at least one) and see how this affects it and how it fires now. And if it ends up just being that the firing pin is too short, you can either purchase a new on, make one as I have done for guns, or lengthen the slot in which it travels on the existing pin. At least that is what I would do.

Anyway, that is just the thoughts from this raving lunatic. Let me know what you think, and what you end up doing. Best of luck. By the way, you still Southern, or are you in the Central portion of the state now?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users