Jump to content


Started Shooting Nra Silhouette

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 homemade


    Big Shooter

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Madera,Ca

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

Well I started shooting NRA silhouette and I am borrowing a pistol from a friend while I get a pistol ready.
My question is what is the most economical way to get a tank and fill station for a pcp pistol?

I have a springer pistol I'm fixing up to use but it's for the scoped class and I want to build the new crosman silhouette with peep sights so just checking to see what it's going to cost to fill it.

#2 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

    Wildlife Sniper

  • Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:CA
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:02 PM

Depending out how extreme you want to get, you can get the following:

For a tank, you can either get a 17CF "Guppy" sized tank, a 66CF tank and in some instances a 88CF tank. The tank options depend greatly on where you purchase yours. Make sure to get a 4500PSI tank so that it will give you plenty of fills. The larger the tank, the more fills you will get. I have a 17CF "Guppy" tank from Joe Brancato at airtanksforsale dot com and I really like it. It makes filling out while I'm hunting easy and convenient.

For filling your tank, I would recommend getting an Oil-less Pancake Compressor that will pump to 100 or 150 PSI minimum. Then purchase the ShoeBox Compressor. This acts as a booster to compress the air further so that you can pump your tanks up to 4500PSI. The ShoeBox runs around $550 or so and the Oil-lessPancake Compressors can be purchased at your local Harbor Freight stores.

The other option for filling is just to get the tank, making sure that you have a place that will fill to 4500PSI and take it there to fill it when needed. I take my Guppy tank to a local Paintball shop to get it filled. Many paintball shops won't fill the big tanks though to 4500 PSI so you'd need to make sure that you have a SCUBA shop near you that would fill it.

Perhaps some of the others have some suggestions too. :)

#3 Brant



  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Missouri
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:31 AM

I agree on the Shoe box compressor. For the tank you can get used SCBA tanks from the fire depts for a few hundred dollars that often have most of their useful life still left.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users