Photo

What's Your Favorite Air Gun Hunting Rig?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:39 AM

I thought I'd find out what everyone's favorite air gun hunting rig was to take out when on the hunt for small game?

My favorite (if it is still shooting straight this next time out) would have to be my .22 Benjamin Marauder. The last few times out it wasn't shooting straight and I won't know if I fixed the problem until I get out again, but up until that time it was my favorite air gun to take out hunting. It was accurate, quiet and gave me the confidence to make the hard shots.

Now, if I need to get a new barrel for the .22, then my next favorite would be my .25 Marauder. Actually I like both of my Marauder Rifles equally, but sometimes the .25 seems like overkill. However, it's dead accurate at long distances and hits with authority for an air gun.

I really like almost all my airguns, but those two get the most use. I also like taking out my .22 Marauder Pistol Carbine and my .22 Discovery too. Both of them shoot very accurately too and during Cottontail season I'll probably take out the .22 Marauder Pistol Carbine for it's first rabbit hunt. It is light, quiet to shoot and accurate out to 50 or 60 yards and can still deliver a kill shot at those distances.

The only air guns I own that I'm not crazy about are a Crosman 1008 RepeatAir, but it's just a plinker pistol. The problem is it is crummy for accuracy. The other air rifle I own that I don't use much at all is a .177 Ruger AirHawk Rifle. I just don't find much use for a .177 where I'm at and for my needs, but I'm holding onto it for when my daughter gets older in case she shows an interest in shooting her custom 1322 carbine I built her.

Anyway, let's hear what Y'all's favorite (or favorites) are. :D

#2 True2ThySelf

True2ThySelf

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

I'm just starting with air guns but this weekend I'm going to try to find what the .22 RWS 350 Magnum likes most. I may be using this instead of taking the shotgun out :D.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,161 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:32 PM

My favorite is my FX Monsoon. Semi auto and great for turkey, squirrels and any other small game. While their friend is setting there wondering why their buddy just dropped no additional movement on my part except to pull the trigger again. It's an excellent skunk defense gun too.

Posted Image Posted Image

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 STPilot

STPilot

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Flying, Jet Ski's, Photography... Oh and Shootin' Stuff!!

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:57 PM

FX Royale 500 .25 Shooting @900fps. Hawke Sidewinder Tactical 6.5-20 :)
Overall I love it, shoots incredibly well. The only drawback (well, other than the $$$) is the cheap plastic stock. I really like the .25 caliber for small game.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Tim

VMAX... The only bullet Squirrels ask for by name!

#5 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:08 PM

ShooterJohn and STPilot, those are both super nice air guns! Someday I hope to own one as nice as one of those. :)

#6 rws fan

rws fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:My kids, shootin' stuff, hunting, hiking, scenic beaches, weather, running, imported beer, science, technology, fast cars, fast women, guns etc.

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

I'll use what ever gun I have that is shooting best. That's either my .25 or .22 marauder. I plan on getting a high end gun soon and actually am on "the list" for a .25 Edgun (lol) since I prefer single shot guns..

Henry

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,161 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:11 PM

I like my Air Arms 410 also because it's my only true left handed airgun. She's pretty to look at too.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Time waits for no one--

#8 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:49 AM

Nice stock! Skunk defense gun? :lol:

I hunt mainly the woods close to my house with any of my airguns with my Air Ranger being mt favorite but for lugging into the field I mainly use Stubby for the compact size.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I'm an airgunholic

#9 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:15 AM

Man, some of you guys have some purty air rifles.

Growing up I used to take my dads ol Sheridan Blue Streak out in our local field. It was like a big game rifle compared to my 760 Crossman. I remember when I got big enough to pump it up 10x...haha. Look out ground squirrels.

I bought an RWS model 48 22cal back around 91'...still have it and the tasco 4x scope on it. And it still shoots pretty darn good.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,161 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:42 AM

Ed, when I was a kid I was the envy of all of my friends because of my Sheridan Silver Streak. It was at the time by far the most powerful airgun you could purchase. I didn't know that when I got it as I just wanted a pellet rifle and my aunt bought it for me while we were shopping at the local Air Force base Exchange. They had a good selection of guns but only one airgun the Sheridan. It still shoots well and has killed more things than any other gun I own I'm sure.

Posted Image

Time waits for no one--

#11 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:17 AM

That's cool John. I wish my parents had allowed me to learn to shoot and own an air rifle when I was a kid. If they had I'd probably still have one from back then too. :)

Growing up, in our house guns were not allowed. I understood why and in a way I agree with my Dad's decision to not allow us to have them as kids and his decision to not own one himself. It was his choice and I respect that. Today though, he has a .177 Ruger AirHawk that I purcahsed for him and he keeps it and shoots pest birds and gophers with it. ;)

Now that I have a child of my own I am making sure to teach her the importance of safety when handling, shooting and just owning any type of gun (whether it be air or powder that projects the projectile). That is part of the reason why I built the little 1322 Carbine for her to be able to shoot. Hopefully she'll have good memories about her times shooting her carbine and have it to hand it down to her children and help teach them too. :)

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,161 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:40 AM

Things were definitely different when I was a kid not like today or even when allot of the membership were young. I started with a sling shot and had a BB gun as far back as I can remember. I still have my first Model 25 Daisy. I wanted the Model 25 as it was the most powerful BB gun made at the time and even though many of my friends had the Red Ryder lever action rifles they rattled with all of the BB's and weren't near as powerful as the Model 25. It was sort of a pain reloading but allot of birds fell to this gun.

Posted Image

I rebuilt it awhile back and it still works on the English Sparrows. :rolleyes:

Time waits for no one--

#13 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:43 AM

I didnt pick up my Blue Streak until the 8th grade as my third air gun but what a step up. It still shoots pretty well at nearly 40 years young. I have never seen a silver one in person yet.

A neighbor kid had that Model 25 but wouldnt let us touch it.

I'm an airgunholic

#14 STPilot

STPilot

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Flying, Jet Ski's, Photography... Oh and Shootin' Stuff!!

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:16 PM

SJ, my very first BB gun was a model 25 that my dad had kept for probably 20 years. Wish I still had it. You also reminded me of my Sheridan Blue Streak, still have it. Bought it when I was 17. Just dug it outta the closet for this pic. Dirty and beat up, but I just ran 10 JSB's .20's thru it and it still shoots the same as always.

Sporting the Williams Peep sight and a 1lb trigger... Lots of critters ended here...
Posted Image
Tim

VMAX... The only bullet Squirrels ask for by name!

#15 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:53 AM

I would say both my Crosmod .177 carbine and Sheridan .20 cal are my favorites. Both very accurate and effective out to 40 yards.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:46 PM

Wow Rich! That Crosmods .177 looks expensive. Is that a C02 version? Is there any parts left on it from the original Crosman gun?

#17 rustygun

rustygun

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Interests:All types of hunting, but mostley small game, varmints and predators. X-Military (Army) 20 years. Been away from the hunting game for almost 22 years

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:55 PM

Wish I still had my Sheridan (blue streak). Got a ton of use out of it in the 60's and it downed all kinds of small game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users