• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BCF

BCF

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Dirtbike riding. Anything outdoors. CNC programmer by trade.

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:59 AM

I need help guys. I want to start bow hunting. Never done it. I have shot a decent amount of archery, though, because every summer my wife, son, and I take a vacation to Corsica where we shoot archery. I even won a contest last year, so I'm not too bad at it. We only shoot recurves.

I'm thinking I will still prefer rifle hunting, since that's the only type I've done, but I want to extend my season. I will mainly be hunting coyotes, rabbits, hogs and deer.

I am thinking that I want to go with a recurve, because it's not as complicated to learn about, and I can practice in my backyard, as my understanding is with recurves, you need to make closer shots. I also like the idea of taking game with a recurve. For me, less moving parts=less to go wrong. I figure I can get a compound bow, as I save money, and get more interested in bow hunting. Wrong thinking?

I am 5'11", 175 pounds and have a small/medium frame. I have no idea what bow to get, and how many pounds pull (40, 50, 55 pounds?). I've done a lot of searching, and see that I can get a (decent?) bow for around $200. What I don't understand is how strong a bow I need. If I get one that has too heavy a pull, I believe it will be too difficult to be accurate, but I need one strong enough to take a hog. I was going to wait until this August when I take vacation, and experiment with all the different recurves they have over there, but I'm thinking I want to get a bow BEFORE august.

Sorry, if you guys think I should search, instead of ask, but I need help!

THANKS!

#2 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,735 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:49 AM

PM sent.Get the heaviest bow you can shoot comfortbley sp? A 50 lb bow will kill any thing in north america. I would use one a bit bigger for moose grizzly ect.
Also not all bows are made the same . you have tempos and you have formala one bows.. Your better off getting a used good bow than getting a cheap new bow. Also there are arrows and then there are arrows. Hey Be carefull if you go to far theres no return. You will be lost and out of your mind. :crazy:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#3 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,707 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

Check out Cabela's,
They have ready to shoot packages, that have a descent price
Just add arrows.
For deer hunting, I would use a compound bow.
With sites, and a wrist release, they can be as acurate as a gun.
After shooting your first deer with a bow, you will be hooked.
Tom
ps. If you are left handed, I have a very nice Darton for sale.

Attached Files

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#4 BCF

BCF

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Dirtbike riding. Anything outdoors. CNC programmer by trade.

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

Thanks guys. I read a lot about customizing to the shooter's preferences...length, draw, etc...handle position, and much more. I'm thinking I better buy a less expensive bow- maybe something from Cabela's bow, figure out what I like, then get a nice bow customized to me, once I know more.

I'm just a little intimitaded by all the info about compound bows- is why I'm looking at the traditional bows. It's complicated stuff to me and I get lost in it. I think I'm going to pay a visit to an archery shop in Orange county and talk to the guys down there- have them take measurements, etc...and make a recommendation. Hopefully they have something there that fits the bill.

Ever since I was a kid, I dreamed about traditional archery, and having a good bow. I made a bunch of them as a kid...I have a feeling that if I start bow hunting, I'll put the rifles aside...

#5 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,707 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:37 PM

Good idea about checking out the archery shop,
But you will not get away cheap there,
Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#6 BCF

BCF

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:04 PM

haha--that's what I'm afraid of. I remember about 4 years ago when I decided to get into fly-fishing. I'd been- but never with my own equipment. Had no clue....went to a fly fishing shop in Orange county. Walked out $500 poorer...but had an awesome trip in the Sierra's with my (then) 9 year old son on a 3 day backpacking/fishing trip out of Lone Pine. The memories were worth the money and more, as you guys know. Now my son is 13, and hopefully, we'll have the same kinds of memories with the bow. I just hope it doesn't cost toooo much...

#7 'Ike'

'Ike'

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:Bowhunting, Upland birds with my Labs and Shooting...

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:24 PM

Shoot as many bow's you can..Have a shop measure you for correct draw length, this is a biggie! Don't over bow yourself, meaning you don't have to shoot 70# and 80# bow's to be a good bow hunter....Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I've seen a fair share of guys hurt themselves after time...Don't be afraid to buy used, but only after you've shot some of the bows out there and know what you're looking for....
17HMR, .22Cal, 22WMR & .223 - Don't run, it only excites me... :smiley-outta-here:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users