#1 DJBurns

DJBurns

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and shooting

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:16 AM

Need some help guy's. I have a Remington 770 with a synthetic stock. My grandson finds the recoil a little to much for him. I would like to replace the recoil pad to see if that might help with felt recoil. I've asked Remington if they have a replacement pad for the gun but they don't. Do any of you have an idea of what I can replace the recoil pad with. This rifle shoots great, so please don't recommend I replace the rifle. Thanks

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,391 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:48 AM

I'd look at a Limbsaver recoil pad. http://www.limbsaver...ms/38-39-40.php
  • docskinner likes this

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:56 AM

You don't mention what caliber the gun is but I think first I would try a wearable PAST recoil pad. They are economical and require no modification to the gun. I've used one for 15 years in Argentina shotgun shooting. They make them for rifle shooting and I think they are around $30. The other option is the old reliable Pachmeyer Pad. If the young man is having a problem with the recoil at the range you may want to have him shoot it with a lead sled shooting cradle. Many times the problem is at the range not the actual hunt. Adrenilin (spell?) seems to make the recoil not much of a factor. Another option is a muzzle brake but ear protection is a must and difficult while hunting big game. I've seen some guys use a screw on muzzle brake at the range then remove it and replace with a short cap but it is also big $ to do.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#4 NaCladdict

NaCladdict

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:27 AM

Love my limbsaver on my Tikka Light. Way better than the factory pad. Easy to install and can't be forgotten.

#5 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:39 PM

Forgot about the limbsaver, they are great.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#6 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

You could also try a slip-on recoil pad first to make sure it will work. No sense working on a perfectly good shooting gun if you don't have to and it's not going to cure the problem. With the slip-on pad, it may not necessarily fit him perfectly, but it is sure a cheap ($20) way to know first before doing any mods. Plus, you can use it on other (hard kicking) guns afterward as well B) . I use one on my single shots and even the pump and auto shotguns when I try some really, really heavy hand loaded field loads. They hurt when you are just messing around and you have no adrenaline like when hunting :014:

#7 microtus

microtus

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Interests:About average for everybody else in here.

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:33 AM

Excessive recoil at a young age was a tough one for me, at age 12 I had a Winchester model 70 in 30-06 with no recoil pad. The shooting range was murder and probably brought on many poor shooting habits. The really bad part was I just liked to shoot, my dad had a .300 WM
Watching the government rape the 4th to pillage the 2nd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users