11 replies to this topic

#1 45user

45user

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:33 AM

So I took out my new Mac-1 tuned discovery out for first time yesterday to try out and I was little disappointed with accuracy. But I'm thinking it's probably the shooter :(As I was sighting it in it would make a nice group at 14 yards then I started shooting at 23 yards target and it would not group. I'm not totally new to rifle shooting. I am not that bad shot but it wouldn't group sometimes even at a closer range. I was shooting off of a sandbag from the bench. So what's the secret to shooting air rifle accurately?Thank you for your help!

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:59 AM

First what pellets are you shooting? Did you clean the barrel before you started? Next would be possible scope or rings problem?

#3 45user

45user

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

Ring or mount should be good to go as they were installed by Mac-1. But I found scope to have very sensitive eye relief (utg 4-16x40 ao). And also the grip on discovery is not fitting my hand well and can't seem to get a steady trigger pull (I'm used Macmillan A3 grip on my remington 700, I guess)And it seems like there's fluctuation in velocity in shot to shot. <_< It just seems like there are too many variables to consider. Brian

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:16 AM

What pellets are you using they make a huge difference.

#5 45user

45user

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:29 AM

Oh ;)JSB jumbo diabolo 15.9gr.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:04 PM

Well that's a good pellet and one of my favorites. If you had Tim work on your gun and you don't get it to shoot contact him and get it back in. Some short eye relief scopes can be a bear to work with. Adjustable objective scopes need to be set pretty close to prevent parallax also. Use a good sandbag rest and try it some more and see how it goes. If it was a springer and not a pcp I'd be sure it was your hold but not with the Discovery. Mine I got from Tim and it shoots one hole groups at 25 yards in my house range all day long. Let us know what you find out.

#7 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:59 PM

Like SJ said, the pellets should be good. However, I have heard of a few Disco's not liking the 15.9 JSB's. Almost all do, but for some reason there are those odd few that buck that trend. If you have some simple CPHP's, try them and see how they compare. Also, depending on how the power adjuster is set on your Disco, it will either create a good curve or a horrible one. I had one in mine and I removed it because I couldn't get a power curve. It was just a constant drop in FPS. Once I took the power adjuster out and shot it like it came from the factory I got a good curve using the H & N FTT 14.66 grain pellets starting with a 2000PSI HPA fill my velocity would start at 819FPS and Peak around 844 FPS and by the 20th shot it was back down to 813 FPS. While you can shoot air guns (especially PCP's) without owning a Chrony, having one takes all of the guess work out of what your air pistol or rifle is doing and help to solve the issues. If I didn't have mine I would be frustrated and have no clue as to what my guns were shooting or capable of. Even if you just get the simple F1 Chrony (which you can get at some places for $69), it will help you to know how the rifle is performing. Another thing that SJ eluded to, is the AO. If you are shooting at an intermediate distance (one that is not noted on the scopes AO Bell) then adjust it one way or the other closer to the distance that you are near. Then look through and see how in focus it appears. If it looks out of focus still then adjust it one way or the other until your sight picture is clear. I would agree with you that sometimes it seems difficult with the Leapers to get a clear sight picture. Especially if any glare is getting to the lens. Shoot the gun a bit more and try a couple different pellets and see if it still performs poorly at further distances. If you can, definitely get the Chrony or another brand of chronograph and you'll begin to see what I mean. :)

#8 45user

45user

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:17 PM

Thank you all. I'm going to try different pellets to see if it is any better. It seemed that the gun shot nice groups at around 1500psi and down.I might have to get a chrono. I've been meaning to get one to test my 308 Winchester relaod so it may be a good excuse to get one Thank you all avian and I will report back.Bria

#9 45user

45user

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

Ok,
Here's something I found out so far. My gun shoots very consistent between pressures around 1600psi down to right around 1000psi
No chrono yet but anything above 1700-2000psi, I cannot guess where the pellet is flying from shot to shot. It seems the sweet spot pressure is too low, yeah? I forgot to count how many shots between the sweetspot pressure :(
Brian

#10 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:19 AM

It sounds like with the power adjuster that it is shooting the pellets that you are using way too fast for the weight or type of pellet between 2000PSI and 1700PSI. I would wager that if you try a heavier pellet, like a 18.1 grain JSB that your accuracy would hold pretty consistant. I've read that some guys have gotten the power adjuster and power and accuracy prep from Tim and their Disco's were shooting over 900 FPS easily. If that is the case, then that could be the culprit for your erratic pellet flight from 2000 down to 1700PSI.

Anyway, that's just a though. Like I mentioned though, get that gun shot over a chronograph and that will tell you alot. Then you can go from there because there won't be anymore guessing about how fast it is shooting each pellet type and weight. ;)

#11 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:09 AM

My MAC 1 Discovery .22 is very accurate....906 FPS avg using JSB 14.3 GR....

#12 45user

45user

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

Crazyhorse,
Does your disco shoot well in all pressure?
As I mentioned mine shoots erratically in upper psi..calms down around 1700psi and below
Brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users