• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

Man... I am super stoked today :lol: . FedEx delivered my new Joe Brancato 17CuFt (110ci) Guppy Tank today. What a nice little tank! I'm going to head on out and get it filled at a local paintball shop today so I'll be ready for the next time I head out hunting. It is going to be so nice to not have to worry about my air usage while I'm out hunting with my airguns now. :good:According to an Air Fill Calculator that I found on the web I should get the following quantity of fills per full tank (based on filling only that gun starting with a full 4500PSI tank fill and depending on each reservior size, optimum fill pressure and average air usage before refill is needed):(10) fills for my .25 Sumatra 2500 Carbine (has a 290cc air reservior and a starting fill pressure of 3000PSI)(Not sure how many shots. Haven't tested it yet)(13) fills for my .25 M-Rod (has a 215cc air reservior and a starting fill pressure of 3200PSI as tuned. That will give me approx. 208 shots if needed)(16) fills for my .22 M-Rod (has a 215cc air reservior and a starting fill pressure of 2900PSI as tuned. That will give me approx. 480 shots if needed)(36) fills for my .22 Disco (has a 135cc air reservior and a starting fill pressure of 2000PSI as tuned. That will give me approx. 720 shots if needed)(66) fills for my .22 P-Rod (has a 65cc air reservior and a starting fill pressure of 2500PSI as tuned. That will give me approx. 1,584 shots if needed)I know that fill count is probably a little off because a little air will be wasted with each fill and I may not always be able to get it filled all the way up to 4500PSI, depending on what the paintball shop has in the tank I suppose. Still, I'm thrilled to have a portable air source for those long day air rifle hunting trips or for a camping trip where hunting will be occuring. :)Anyway, when I get a chance I will take some photos of it and post them. I'm also going to see about a cover to protect it while I'm at the paintball shop today. I hoping they have one large enough. :rolleyes:Watch out critters... Here I Come! :rolleyes:

#2 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

Cool. :rolleyes: I don't quite get what they advertise I guess because of hose loss, bleed off, etc. I get right at 26 fills of the Marauder from a full 4500 psi 44 cu ft tank. 13 fills with the Air Ranger and Condor, Stubby (500 cc tanks). I am sure over 100 P-Rod but never counted but thats a lot of shooting. The big bores really suck down the air. My Condor has an R&L Extreme valve on it and only gets 20 full shots (but at 110 fpe with Surefires).

I'm an airgunholic

#3 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:10 PM

Yeah, I agree with you Brant. I doubt I will get that many fills out of the tank, but that's what the fill calculator came up with when I entered the different factors.I took the Guppy to get it filled today. Unfortunately the Paintball shop could only fill it to 3500PSI today (it read about 3800PSI when the tank was warm after being filled and then after it cooled it was down to 3500PSI). The guy said I should come on Monday or Tuesday in order to get a fill up to 4500PSI. They have tanks with a PSI Compressor/booster (kind of like a different version of the ShoeBox) and the salesman there said that they get newly filled tanks every Monday or Tuesday and that Tuesday of any week would be the best day to come in for a 4500PSI fill. So I'll head over there on tuesday of next week if I happen to use some of my air this weekend, otherwise I'll wait until the following week. :)Even with the Guppy having a 3500PSI fill, the fill calculator says that using my .22 M-Rod with a starting fill of 2900PSI I should get 8 fills on that gun before the pressure is down to where it won't fill that one all the way up anymore. To bad my P-Rod is out of commission right now (dang sear broke (sear is made of cheap pot metal!)) or I wouldn't have to worry about fills because I would use the P-Rod instead of the M-Rod. Oh well, in a couple of weeks the replacement sear will arrive and I'll get the P-Rod all fixed back up.The main problem I'm finding is that I can't find anyone that manufactures a cover for this size tank. I'll have to keep looking.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,008 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

Do you have a picture of the new tank?

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:21 PM

To bad my P-Rod is out of commission right now (dang sear broke (sear is made of cheap pot metal!)) or I wouldn't have to worry about fills because I would use the P-Rod instead of the M-Rod. Oh well, in a couple of weeks the replacement sear will arrive and I'll get the P-Rod all fixed back up.The main problem I'm finding is that I can't find anyone that manufactures a cover for this size tank. I'll have to keep looking.

I have seen covers for the 17s. I just lightened the trigger on the P-Rod but only turned the back wheel. I am surprised to hear the sear broke and that it was pot metal.VarmintAirs Pigmee is about the same size I think. Looks like maybe an Air Hog cover. A 90 cu in tank holds 16 cu ft and isnt too far off.http://varmintair.ty...blog/air-tanks/

I'm an airgunholic

#6 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:39 PM

Here are some photos of the tank:Guppy Tank w/Homemade Foster Conneciton Cap Cover:Posted ImageGuppy Tank w/ 3ft Long Quick Disconnect Fill Hose (hose is10,000PSI burst pressure):Posted ImageGuppy Tank - Tank Air Pressure Gauge Side:Posted ImageGuppy Tank - Glycerin Filled Outgoing/Fill Pressure Gauge Side:Posted ImageGuppy Tank - Different View of Gauges and Fitting:Posted ImageI tried to get enough different views of the tank so that it shows it clearly. :rolleyes:

#7 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:44 PM

I have seen covers for the 17s. I just lightened the trigger on the P-Rod but only turned the back wheel. I am surprised to hear the sear broke and that it was pot metal.

Where did you see the covers Brant? I really want to protect this thing to keep it in the best condition possible and keep it safe.Yeah, I have lightened the P-Rod trigger as far as I can by turning that wheel back too. As far as the sear material goes, I'm pretty sure it is pot metal or something similar. It is extremely light and feels like if you had a pair of pliers in each hand that you could grip it and snap it like an oreo cookie. Anyway, here's a couple of photos of the broken sear.Posted Image Posted Image

#8 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:54 PM

Looks like pot metal but I am still surprised that broke there. I added Varmintairs link above.

I'm an airgunholic

#9 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:18 PM

I looked at AirHog's website and didn't see any of those covers for sale. I'll keep looking.

#10 rws fan

rws fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:My kids, shootin' stuff, hunting, hiking, scenic beaches, weather, running, imported beer, science, technology, fast cars, fast women, guns etc.

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

I plan on picking up a guppy too next month from Joe when I get my big carbon fiber tank hydro'd.Here are 2 cases for the guppy i've seen recommended. I'm going to get a hydration pack for it while hunting on top of the guppy tank cover:http://www.caselogic...ELAID=237947459http://3gungear.core...-Cover-p96.htmlHenry

#11 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

How about a tank pouch? This will do up to 114 cu in.http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B000VV9EUK

I'm an airgunholic

#12 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for posting those links Brant and Henry. I actually already ordered one of these:http://www.discountp...amo_p_1618.htmlI'll see if it works and if it does I'll let you know and take a photo. I like the fact that it has the hard backing that will keep the valve from poking into the water/liquid/hydration bladder that is in a pocket inside of my backpack. Anyway, I'll report on it when it arrives (probably by next Friday).Once again, thanks for those links! :sport037fn4:

#13 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:41 AM

I like the camo - cool. I went to post over on the Yellow Forum about this and was surprised to find out I had been permanently banned with no reason or notification given. Apparently, I broke an unwritten rule. A while back someone was looking for someone else with a post and I answered that they had moved to the GTA forum. That was all she wrote. Now I find there is a war and many YF members are moving to GTA. GTA has many more airgun postings than YF at this point.

I'm an airgunholic

#14 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:22 PM

If that trigger sear is cast metal like all the newer firearms are, it is totally weldable. A friend with a wire feed welder is your friend :) . I just welded a a hammer sear on the nephews O/U shotgun the other week, worked flawlessly. Just put a root opening where it meets (grind a bevel so the weld can go in), then just redrill the hole to clean it up and grind the sides smooth. Cheap, and easy and you can finish and shoot it in an hour or two.

#15 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:47 PM

Thanks for that information Bisley ;) . I have a neighbor that is cool and does some welding. I'll ask him if he thinks it is something he could easily fix. If so, I'll have him fix it and I'll keep it as a spare in case the others break again. Anyway, that's good to know. Brant, yeah... I've never bothered joining the YF because the politics are way out of control. Besides, the format is antiquated and extremely difficult to navigate compared to so many others. I'll stick with the CPC and the GTA. That's good enough for me. :)

#16 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

Here's a few pictures of the Guppy in the cover that arrived today for it. It was a snug fit, but it works well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It seems well constructed and should last as long as the tank... I hope. ;)

Oh, and concerning the P-Rod's trigger sear, I found out that it is called "Sintered" steel. It is a process with which they take various powdered metals and put them into a mold and heat them at high temps to get them to "fuse" together. Regardless... still feels cheap and brittle. :)

#17 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:11 PM

I like that.

Sintering like turbines? Dont know much about it for this stuff. I thought it was supposed to be strong.

I'm an airgunholic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users