Photo

Some Non Lead Conclusions - 223 & 22-250 (12 & 14" Twists)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

Well, found another 35 gr Nosler Non-lead load for my 22-250 that I may be liking better than my previous load & report a few weeks ago. Reason I say that is, today resulted in a more over all consistent load with nearly the same velocity & accuracy with less or closer flyers. No wild flyers!My previous 35 gr load was 39.5 gr of IMR 8208 @ a chronographed 4530 fps from a 26" barrelToday's more consistent load was with 38.5 grs of H4895 @ an estimated 4500 fps (pend chrono) Another new load was the 40gr Lead Nosler with 38.0 gr of H4895 @ an estimated 4200 fpsThe good part... My goal:The 40 gr Nosler Lead hits in the same spot as the 35 gr Non lead (just like my 223).So now both my 223 & 250 shoots the 35 gr non lead & 40 gr lead bullets to the same point of impact, & is why I am going to stay with these loads... for awhile!THE DIFFERENCE IS: I can obtain excellent to exceptional accuracy with almost any bullet from 35-55 grains in the 223, but the 250 seems a bit more finicky on what bullet it likes & doesn't like.In other words, it seems like there may be more compromises with the 250 than the 223? Having to give up something for something else. Velocity vs Accuracy or visa versa, etc.Finally, in both calibers, the 35 gr Non-lead is more accurate than the 40 gr Non-lead bullet. In fact, several 250's I've shot or seen shot, will not even shoot the 40 grain non-lead bullets accurately. I am talking about a 12" twist in the 223 and a 14" twist in the 250. DISCLAIMER: These loads are MAXIMITUS and above, and why it took awhile to obtain these loads in my rifles... in terms of accuracy, velocity & pressures.

#2 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:52 PM

Thanks for sharing your results, Frank. Pretty amazing speeds. I'll have to try those 35 grain unleaded Noslers in my 22-250.

#3 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

You sure you couldn't push it just a little bit faster with a bit more experimenting :yahoo: :pot:Isn't it a great feeling when you finally find a lead and non-lead load to hit to the same POA?! Gotta love it. Glad to hear it for ya.It is also funny that you mention the H49895, that and Varget are our go-to powders for most everything we shoot. You don't usually get the most spectacular speeds from them, but we are short to medium range hunters at best with our eyes and shaking hands, so it is not very critical at all as much as it is to others. But it seems like we can always quite easily get a rifle to shoot one or the other (or both) well. Even funnier since I got a call from pops last night after he got home from shooting in their place in Inyo County. He called first to tell me how many birds and rabbits there still are this year :504: , but also to tell me the .30-30 and .223 loads with H4895 are spot on. The fact that I finally cleaned the copper out of those two might have had a little to do with it also :D .Have you ever given any thought about how fast you could push those 35gr pills with a 30" barrel? :wacko: Of course you'll need wheels on your bipod for it :(

#4 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

Yeah, Mike, I think you'll be glad you did (trying the 35gr non lead). I'm sure the Hornady 35gr would do excellent also.Btw, 38.0 gr of IMR 8208 & the 40gr lead Nosler chrono'd at 4220 & also hits the same spot as the 35 gr non lead. I believe I mentioned that before, but just making sure. 8208 actually may be the best with the 40gr lead bullet, but need more tests to be sure.

#5 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:27 PM

LOL, Yeah, Bob, like I need to be encouraged (for more speed / 30" barrel).And you're right... H4895 and Varget both, are good, reliable stand-bys. Especially in the 223. But then again, what DOESN'T the 223 like, right?! lol I do test them semi-often in various calibers. And funny you should mention Varget, as I actually did try it, & it worked pretty well with the 35 grainers. But hey, I know, you know, that I ain't sacrificing 100 fps for ANY caliber. :D Believe it was stuck in neutral at around 4400 fps. lol

#6 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:52 PM

Believe it was stuck in neutral at around 4400 fps. lol

I only know of one person that thinks of 4400fps as being stuck in neutral. That is too funny. Before too long, at those speeds, you are going to be hearing the infamous thwack before you even pull the trigger :D . That must really be something to hear see/hear how fast the response time between your boom and thump on reactive targets at the range!!!

#7 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:18 PM

I only know of one person that thinks of 4400fps as being stuck in neutral.

:D LOL

That must really be something to hear see/hear how fast the response time between your boom and thump on reactive targets at the range!!!

Yeah, it really is pretty cool... It's amazing actually, when friends and I shoot at steel targets at various distances with various calibers & loads. SPEED really does matter! And of course energy too on those targets.One day, a friend was shooting a full house load through his 7mm mag & literally blew the steel pig completely off the frame. We almost fell over laughing. Perhaps the target was not on the frame as good as it should be, but that target was hit so hard & with such a LOUD THUMP. I think it was at either 2 or 300 yards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users