7 replies to this topic

#1 asquirrelsworstenemy

asquirrelsworstenemy

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:22 PM

I'm going to a buddies rice farm to get some crawdads and was wondering what kind you guys have made. Been looking some up online, but I wanted to know what worked best. Measurements and such for the opening for them to get in the trap but not allowing them to get out. Thanks!
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyways. -John WayneGod made man, Sam Colt made them equal.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:46 PM

I used to make my own but bought a half dozen of these and am very happy with them. http://www.terrybullard.com/Here is the regulations on crayfish and just don't make the traps larger than three feet in any dimension.

5.35. Crayfish.

• ( a ) Open season: All year, except for closures listed in subsection (d) of this Section.
  • ( b ) Limit: No limit.
  • ( c ) Methods of take:Crayfish may be taken only by hand, hook and line, dip net or with traps not over three feet in greatest dimension. Any other species taken shall be returned to the water immediately. Traps need not be closely attended.
  • ( d ) Closures for Protection of Shasta Crayfish: Fall River upstream of Spring Creek Bridge, Lava Creek, Tule River and all connected waters upstream of Little Tule River, Sucker Springs Creek, Crystal Lake, Rising River and Rising River Lake are closed to take and possession of crayfish. (See Section 4.30 for prohibition against crayfish use for bait in sections of the Pit River).
  • ( e ) The season closures in Chapter 3 (District Trout and Salmon Special Regulations) do not apply to crayfish fishing with methods other than hook and line (see sections 7.00 and 7.50(a)(2)).

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:21 AM

When I was a kid we had an old spring up behind our house. It was full of crawdads (and stinging nettle). I used to use a piece of string, a couple washers for weight and a hunk of bacon tied to the end for bait. Throw it out, let it sit for a couple minutes and slowly pull it in. Them crawdads wouldn't let go of the bacon. Caught a ton of them like that. One day we found an old screen door (I know, not to regs) tied some bacon and hot dogs (I preferred bacon) to it and lowered it in the water. Came back 1/2 hour later and pulled it up. It was like hitting the mother lode lol.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#4 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:41 AM

I make my own. Literally, they are a copy of Terry Bullards. Just this weekend though, I had a fishing buddy throw mine over the edge of the boat without letting them down slowly to find the bottom...guess my lines were too short and he was too dumb to think it might be too deep. Both my traps are now somewhere in the Sacramento river if you want to go try to find them.If you make your own, I highly recommend the soft entry traps, rather than any sort of hard material for the ramp. If you put two traps side by side, one with a soft entry and one with a hard entry, you will have more in the soft entry trap, guaranteed.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#5 Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Outdoor activity. Diving. Fishing, Hiking, Hunting and Camping.

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:02 AM

I used to use the mesh bag that packed garlic or onion that you get them free from supermarket. Fill in with expired ham or hot dogs . tight a rope and throw into the water. Come back check it for every 20~30 mins. Their little legs stuck on the mesh bag so you don't have to worry pull them out slow, I got tons of them to make a Louisiana style crawfish festival party at our camp ground. Kids love eatting the small "lobsters" .

#6 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

We would poor dog food into nylons and tie it to a fishing pole to catch them on the runoffs of the Owens. Too much fun.

#7 howdy62

howdy62

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:27 AM

i use a combination of Terry Bullard and Trapper Arnie traps....each seem to catch the same amount....http://www.trapperarne.com/

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

I had some trapper Arnie traps but someone stole them. I thought I had them pretty well hid but once they found one line they must have search for the others. I tried baiting them again with just the line but no takers. But then I'd probably be in jail for using them for crawdad bait.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users