5 replies to this topic

#1 True2ThySelf

True2ThySelf

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:41 AM

I don't think my wife would be happy with me buying $60 in pellets when I didn't give her an answer on buying a cooler with wheels so I need your guys' advice on pellets.My brother has a .22 RWS 350 Magnum (Break barrel springer) and I want to start using it for hunting.1. How do you select the appropriate pellet weight?I bought the "JSB Diabolo Jumbo Exact Monster" (25.39 gr) last year when I knew even less about everything since I read somewhere that heavier is better. How do you find the balance between speed (I was thinking of moving down to the lower ~14 gr weight) to maintain a flatter trajectory (I don't have a range finder and not very good on judging distances) and weight for long distance (50+ yd) stability and accuracy? Also how do you know if a pellet is traveling too fast and breaks the sound barrier (I do not have a chrono)?2. How do you select the appropriate pellet shape?Are diabolos the best shape? What about nose shapes? Are domed diabolos best for long distance? Will hollow points maintain accuracy with diatance?3. How does skirt deformation affect accuracy?I read somewhere that if the skirt is thin, when it gets fired from the air rifle, the air will puff the skirt out before leaving the muzzle and doesn't affect accuracy. The tin of JSBs are full of dented skirts, I'd be hard pressed to find a few good ones (bought off of amazon).Too bad no one makes a large selection sampler of 20 pellets of each. If you guys have other information regarding pellet selection, I'd be happy to hear it.

#2 STPilot

STPilot

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Flying, Jet Ski's, Photography... Oh and Shootin' Stuff!!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

JSB Diablos are excellent pellets, known for consistency and accuracy. However, every air gun will shoot every pellet differently... So unfortunately, that means trying some different brands/weights.. If it were me, I would shoot the JSB 18.1gr in a .22. Good combination of speed and weight. I shoot the 25.4's in my .25 Cal FX for everything, plinking and hunting. They will shoot 1/2" groups at 50 yards. But that's in .25 cal, I think that weight is just a bit much for .22 (just my opinion) but I think you'll find most guys don't use 25gr in .22. As far as speed and stability, most pellets tend to get unstable pushing 1000fps-ish, they start to wobble or even have a cork screw like flight path. You'll know cuz your accuracy will drop off. I wouldn't get to hung up shape, diablos seem to do everything well. If you're gonna hunt with an air gun, accuracy and consistency= the ability to get a well placed shot. Dinged up skirts from being in the package is probably not going to cause you any issues (unless they were really smashed during shipping I s'pose??) If you really smash the skirt while handling or loading, accuracy will suffer. I know I've certainly smashed a few..Hope this helps a bit, good luck.

#3 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:28 PM

I never had much luck with the .22 JSB monster 25.4 grains for accuracy. Try the JSB 18s as STPilot mentioned. The tradeoff with velocity on lighter pellets is typically more energy with heavier ones. It is highly dependent on how your gun shoots them which is best. The domed pellets tend to be the most accurate. My RWS 52 springer in 177 did best with H&N Cudas or Beeman Kodiaks which are the same pellet. I would also try the Kodiaks/Cudas which are 21.14 in 22 and maybe the Crosman Premiers. I can point you to sampler packs but they contain too many pellets you will never use.

#4 True2ThySelf

True2ThySelf

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:56 PM

Yeah if I could just buy 20 of each to figure out what the gun likes best at 50 yds it would be nice but alas it looks like I'll have to buy a bunch to find my hunting ammo and plink with the rest.

#5 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:08 PM

I tend to use the domed JSBs for everything and Predators if they shoot well enough for hunting because they slap so hard on impact. For .25 it is the JSB 25.4 grain. For .22 it is the 18 grain JSBs that tend to shoot the best in the most guns. The Kodiaks/Baracudas also tend to do pretty well too. They are also domed. Predators tend to be finiky in .22 caliber. One thing I forgot to mention is that some of these pellets are offered in different head sizes for the Field target guys but we have found that certain guns really prefer certain head diameters. For example my .22 Marauder pistol supposedly prefers larger head size pellets like H&N FTTs 5.53, 5.54, or 5.55 mm. I am not sure about the RWS 350 but you can search the various airgun forums to find that out. The sampler pack contains the most common pellets and sizes.Here is a sampler pack that should keep you busy.http://www.straights...ampler-.22.html .22 Pellet Sampler Contents* RWS Meisterkuglen 13.90 gr* Crosman Premier 14.30 gr* JSB Exact Express 14.30 gr* RWS SuperDome 14.50 gr* RWS SuperPoint 14.50 gr* RWS Supr-H-Point 14.50 gr* H&N Field Target Trophy 14.60 gr* Beeman FTS Double Gold 14.72 gr* Napier Power Hunter 15.60 gr* JSB Exact 15.90 gr* JSB Predator 16.20 gr* Beeman Silver Arrow 17.10 gr* JSB Exact Heavy 18.00 gr* H&N Crow Magnum 18.21 gr* Beeman Kodiak 21.10 gr* H&N Baracuda Match 21.14 gr* H&N Rabbit Magnum II 24.69* JSB Exact Monster 25.40 gr

#6 True2ThySelf

True2ThySelf

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:09 PM

That's pretty much what I was looking for. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users