• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:45 PM

Finally got the 39A back out after a new scope (the old one was a Hurricane from the late 70's!). About 10 rounds to walk it in, and then the next 90 minimags into 2 inches in "squirrel/rabbit shooting rapid fire", at 50 yards in teh windy stuff today. Got a few funny looks shooting that fast from the other lanes, but then got a few "whoa" looks when they saw the grouping and it building reolad after reload. On its way to 40 years old, at least 100,000 rounds through it, and it shoots as good as ever.Thanks mom and dad - wherever you are. It was my "Santa" present when I was 12.

#2 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:51 AM

It is sure fun to watch the AR guys when you run through a lever gun almost as fast as they shoot, except for you're hitting something :D . They don't believe it can be done that quick. Wrong! Nice job, sounds like you had a blast, but, a scope on a levergun??? That's like watching a stripper that's 6 month pregnant, you still won't not look, but it's just not quite the same :good: .

#3 STPilot

STPilot

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Flying, Jet Ski's, Photography... Oh and Shootin' Stuff!!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:24 AM

Man I had a 39A for many years... In my "top ten" list of guns i wish I had never sold, dumb kid...

#4 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:15 PM

It is sure fun to watch the AR guys when you run through a lever gun almost as fast as they shoot, except for you're hitting something :rofl2: . They don't believe it can be done that quick. Wrong! Nice job, sounds like you had a blast, but, a scope on a levergun??? That's like watching a stripper that's 6 month pregnant, you still won't not look, but it's just not quite the same :two-cents: .

Yeah. I think there is an unwritten law of the land that says the only lever guns that can be scoped are the Browning BLR, the Savage 99 (must be a fixed 4x of the same vintage as the rifle), and the Marlin guide gun (must be a forward mounted scout scope).

#5 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:31 PM

Yep, I hve an original Weaver K4 mounted on my Savage model 99 in 300 savage caliber. Mounted in original Weaver mounts. Now my Winchester model 88 in 308 cakuber has a scope too, Don't remembe what it is and it's at myu cabin so I cna't take a look, but her it is.Posted Image

#6 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:35 PM

Purists... still only shoot blackpowder in your black powder cartridges (like 45-70) too? Only lead bullets over 30 grains of 4064 in your 30-30?I still love iron sights, don't get me wrong. Nice part is I can pop the scope off, flip up the buckhorn and be ready to go. But if teh scpoe doesn't break, it is nice head shooting ground squirrels out to 100 yards.I bought and keep my guns for regular use - including my 99 in .250 savage topped with a newer Leu VXII-4-12. Replaced teh Redfield Ranging 3-9 my uncle demanded back as it had only been a "loan". And I replaced my dad's old 1970's weaver 3-9 witha newer scope as well as I got tired of waiting until an hour after sunrise to be able to see, and not beaing able to shott teh last hour before sunset, or at anything within 30 degrees of the sun. They get used and deserve to be treated to good glass.Would you tell your father (or yourslef) he only gets to wear glasses like they made back when he was made?

#7 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:37 PM

No scopes on levers was started becuase people didn't think they were accurate enough to put scopes on. OR they were only good as brush guns out to maybe 75-100 yards. The last dear I took with that Savage and the old scope ranged at over 500 yards. You gonna shoot at deer at 500 yards with antique 4x scopes?

#8 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:38 PM

Yep, I hve an original Weaver K4 mounted on my Savage model 99 in 300 savage caliber. Mounted in original Weaver mounts. Now my Winchester model 88 in 308 cakuber has a scope too, Don't remembe what it is and it's at myu cabin so I cna't take a look, but her it is.

Looks like a Nikon Prostaff by the turret covers.

#9 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:40 PM

I just have no recolection at all. My father put it on there years ago. The rifle was my mothers deer rifle an she passed away in 1980. so he scope it old.

#10 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:18 PM

No scopes on levers was started becuase people didn't think they were accurate enough to put scopes on.

Guess it depends on where you think it started from. I am far from a purist, but for me, it started form shooting a scoped levergun and realizing that it was much like shooting a scoped pistol in that you lose all of the advantage of it's compact, light, sleek design. If you are going to scope it (and add bulkiness and heft while losing the superb handling) you may as well take advantage of a bolt gun with pointed bullets, bedded actions, and a much, much broader selection of calibers. I had bad eyes until I got my glasses last year, but the peep sights allowed me to shoot it extremely well and still keep all the great characteristics of a levergun. But to each their own. It was spoken (mostly) in fun.

OR they were only good as brush guns out to maybe 75-100 yards.

If you look closely, most of your lever calibers (.444, 45-70, .30Win, .32Win, .44, .357) loose too much at 150-200 yards to be great for that long of shooting. Not that they won't do it, just not the best choices, and open or especially peeps are just fine in those ranges. Savage obviously changed a lot of that with the rotary magazine, but they are the (rare) exception when talking about leverguns.

The last dear I took with that Savage and the old scope ranged at over 500 yards. You gonna shoot at deer at 500 yards with antique 4x scopes?

That may be fine with a Savage and a more modern speedy cartridge, but in my opinion, very unwise and irresponsible with the older slower moving calibers (which is about 95% or more of the leverguns used out there). Way too much time for the game to move between the firing of say a .45-70 and the day and a half it takes the bullet to get there. But again, that's me.

#11 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:50 PM

I just have no recolection at all. My father put it on there years ago. The rifle was my mothers deer rifle an she passed away in 1980. so he scope it old.

Huh - maybe not then, depending on when he put it on. But I do recognize those rings! Don't remember the brand, but got a set just like them!Think any accurate rifle, and any centerfire you plan on shooting over 100 yds deserve some glass. Okay - not old military stuff. Dammit - now making exceptions to my own rules... ;-)

#12 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:53 PM

No scopes on levers was started becuase people didn't think they were accurate enough to put scopes on. OR they were only good as brush guns out to maybe 75-100 yards. The last dear I took with that Savage and the old scope ranged at over 500 yards. You gonna shoot at deer at 500 yards with antique 4x scopes?

No it is because in the world of gundom some things are just supposed to be. Try telling one of the old timers of Jack O'Connor's era that a deer couldn't be taken at 500 yards with a fixed 4.........after he told you that it most certainly can be done he would probably tell you that you should get closer before taking a shot at a game animal.

#13 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:15 PM

Guess it depends on where you think it started from. I am far from a purist, but for me, it started form shooting a scoped levergun and realizing that it was much like shooting a scoped pistol in that you lose all of the advantage of it's compact, light, sleek design. If you are going to scope it (and add bulkiness and heft while losing the superb handling) you may as well take advantage of a bolt gun with pointed bullets, bedded actions, and a much, much broader selection of calibers. I had bad eyes until I got my glasses last year, but the peep sights allowed me to shoot it extremely well and still keep all the great characteristics of a levergun. But to each their own. It was spoken (mostly) in fun.If you look closely, most of your lever calibers (.444, 45-70, .30Win, .32Win, .44, .357) loose too much at 150-200 yards to be great for that long of shooting. Not that they won't do it, just not the best choices, and open or especially peeps are just fine in those ranges. Savage obviously changed a lot of that with the rotary magazine, but they are the (rare) exception when talking about leverguns.That may be fine with a Savage and a more modern speedy cartridge, but in my opinion, very unwise and irresponsible with the older slower moving calibers (which is about 95% or more of the leverguns used out there). Way too much time for the game to move between the firing of say a .45-70 and the day and a half it takes the bullet to get there. But again, that's me.

No offense taken (or intended) by any of this -And as we were talking earlier, a good 4x scope adds little weight, and if you learned to shoot a scope with both eyes open you loose no speed. Seldom go out with it anymore ( not for lack of wanting...) so may not be able to do it now, but back when I shot jacks and squirrels regularly, I could more accurately faster than most of my friends with autoloaders, and at least as fast accurately as the rest. Most of them would razz me and make me let them get first shots off. I was fast with iron sights, but very fast with the scope. No loss of smoooth and fast handling. Scopes aren't just for bench rest and bolt actions.The point on lever cartridges and range is agreeing with me? Seems we are saying the same thing. The Savage comment was about only putting old 4x scopes on them. I wouldn't take that shot now, as I am not sure of myself out to that range. But a Savage 99 in .250 is an excellent and accurate varmint gun. Would you stick a plain and very old 4x scope on a varmint rifle? not really. So why stick one on your varmint rifle if it happens to be a lever action. Maybe if you are creating a museum piece, but for a shooter?Haven't been out for deer in California, but in Idaho in the areas we hunt you wind up with shots from 30yds to farther than you can shoot as you rapidly go from north faces (heavy woods) to south faces (wide open grass/rock). The closest I took a deer was about 50 yards, and the farthest a bit over 500. Right now even with the .270 I would only probably go 300, if it was a very good shot. Last time I was in Idaho, we saw a couple of bucks out about 400 or so. Had one in teh crosshairs, and decided it was a no go. Which is also why I have been trying to get out more with it and get back to old form (or at least as close as I can get)

#14 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:19 PM

No it is because in the world of gundom some things are just supposed to be. Try telling one of the old timers of Jack O'Connor's era that a deer couldn't be taken at 500 yards with a fixed 4.........after he told you that it most certainly can be done he would probably tell you that you should get closer before taking a shot at a game animal.

Didn't say it was impossible, But why put crappy old scope when modern glass is so amazing better? Again, museum piece or functional shooter. Yeah - you got an old Sharps? put a vintage scope on it for historical shooting. If you are going to be using modern cartridges/loads for real hunting, why handicap yourself?Not against tradition, but the trdition I grew up with - respect your game and do you best to make clean kills - means going with teh best sighting systems you can. Guess it is what traditions are more important, and if you are using it for hunting.

#15 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:25 AM

Sorry, but the big game load for my Sharps uses a 405 grain lead bullet, a big puff of white smoke, and is minute of pie plate out to 300 yards with iron sights.

#16 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:25 PM

My smallbore Silhouette gun - 50 yards offhand when i was developing my black powder load (you read that right - I shoot black powder .22's in my 39a) The lower left was for score, the lower right was a fouling test. after 80 rounds it still was holding steady so I quit there. My dad gave me this rifle in 1974 for my 13th birthday, and it is one of my favorites.Posted Image

#17 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

Alright Baja the idea of a mini BPCR has piqued my curiosity so here comes a whole slough of questions..............For your .22 black powder loads do you dismantle factory ammo or is there a supplier of primed cases? How many shots can you take before the chamber gets sticky or accuracy degrades? Do you use a blow tube between shots? Cast or jacketed bullets? And I love the silhouette inlays, who did them?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users