• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,564 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:18 PM

I got a 243 brass stuck in my die today. I should have stoped when I felt the tightness.I tried freezing the die, and drill and tap it. She ain't comming out like that. Looks like I do somthing drastic, and hope I don't destroy the die.Tom

Attached Files

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,013 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:47 PM

Freezing would just cause the die to grip the case tighter. If you drilled and tapped it the screw should draw it right out. I've never had one not come out. But you learn pretty quickly to use enough lube to not stick them in the first place.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

You can also send it to RCBS.for expansion, heat the die! (oven hot, not blow torch hot....)

#4 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,184 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:06 PM

I have done that more than once.Just unscrew the top then with a rod and hammer beat it out.

#5 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,404 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:48 PM

Like I have always said, anyone who says they have never made a mistake reloading is lying. I use spray lube for my short cases, but still hand roll/lube the longer ones. If you look up the RCBS stuck case remover, you will get an idea of what you need to remove it. You are mechanically inclined, so it should be easy. Just find a nut in the garage (other than yourself :roflmao3[1]: ) that will sit around the edge of the die but still allow the case to pull through, then drill and tap a hole and use a bolt (a washer may be needed to keep it from pulling the bolt through the nut) and turn the bolt. Should pull it right out. Some times you can get away with a coarse lag bolt and only drill and not have to tap the case, but not always, or so I've heard :roflmao3[1]: . Lube is cheap, and stuck cases are time consuming :roflmao3[1]: . Good luck.

#6 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

Time to order a RCBS stuck case remover kit. Trust me you will need it again. Especially if using Hornady spray lube. I use RCBS spray lube now and have far fewer troubles and it is easier to remove etc than the gooey stuff and the pad. I even use it for my 50BMG brass.

#7 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,564 posts
    RETIRED

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:14 PM

Doug, I use RCBS lube,But I will order a stuck brass removal tool. I just went down to the gun shop and bought a new set of 243 dies. (RCBS)It can't hurt to have a spare.I will try again after I get back from the pain mgt Doctor.Tom

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,013 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:16 PM

You can make up the pieces you need to remove a stuck case without buying a stuck case remover. Do a quick Google search and I'm sure there is a video or two to watch on Youtube also. I use Imperial Sizing Wax and have not stuck a case in a couple of decades. But Dillon or Hornady make good spray lubes I just don't care for spray. A small tin of Imperial Sizing Wax will last you your reloading career.

Time waits for no one--

#9 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,404 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:15 PM

You can make up the pieces you need to remove a stuck case without buying a stuck case remover.

Absolutely! A large nut or two and a bolt with a shoulder, or you can use a washer or two. Except for a drill bit, this is all you need. Of course, if you don't have the spare nuts and bolts laying around and have to buy them, you may as well just get the RCBS kit.Posted ImageIf you look close, you can see how the nut still makes contact with the bottom of the die, but is also large enough to let the case come through.Posted ImageAnd lastly, you can see how the shoulder of this bolt stops it from pulling through, but a washer will also work if the bolt has no shoulder.Posted ImageHave pulled more than i care to admit like this. You can tap the brass if you want, but brass is soft and you can put a bit just slightly smaller than the threads through it and use the bolt as a tap also almost every time.

#10 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:57 PM

A proper sized socket will do the same thing. It also may save you a trip to the hardware store.
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#11 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,564 posts
    RETIRED

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:29 PM

Ok I blew it, but the glass is still half full. I waisted the die, after breaking the tap off in the brass,I couldn't use a bolt like I should have done first. I stoped at the gun shop on the way home, andpicked up a new RCBS die set.So the way I figure is, I have a spare seating die, and a new die set too! So go ahead, call me names.Tom

#12 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,184 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:02 AM

You must have stuck it pretty bad did you even try knocking it out from the other side?Add this to your sig or reload . :lol: just joking i couldn't help myself... :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#13 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Interests:Predator Calling, Squirrel Shooting, Reloading

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:58 AM

Mail it to RCBS & they'll fix it for you for FREE. It might cost you return shipping.605 Oro Dam Blvd.Oroville CA 959651-800-533-5000Lee

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,013 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

Lee is right they'll fix it or give you a new one most likely. They are great about any sort of repairs.
  • docskinner likes this

Time waits for no one--

#15 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Interests:Predator Calling, Squirrel Shooting, Reloading

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:08 AM

Thats one of the percs of living up north, I live 25 miles away from RCBS :D B)Lee

#16 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,564 posts
    RETIRED

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

Thanks BPS,I will dig it out of the trash.Tom

#17 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

Thanks for this post, Tom. A good reminder to me to make sure my brass is sufficiently lubed before FLS. I agree. Send it to RCBS and they'll probably give you a new one. They're good people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users