4 replies to this topic

#1 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

On another forum I participate in we were discussing fish skull euro mounts. Has anyone ever done this here? Do any of you offer this service? Or do any of you offer any advice on how to do it yourself? I was thinking about doing a Halibut I caught and I know some guys want to do barracuda. It would be a cool mount. Thanks.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,688 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

Talk to Jeff on here he is a skull cleaning expert.

#3 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:26 AM

Here is a link to a cool Halibut skull. This would be nice to have on the mantle.http://www.biolib.cz/en/image/id82776/

#4 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,925 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:45 AM

That is awsome, I will have to try that. We have a halibutt derby on fathers day.Tom

#5 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:16 AM

Thanks, John, I appreciate that.Just a heads up, fish skeletons are nothing like mammal skeletons. They are full of cartilage and are therefore much more difficult. In addition, they will literally crumble to every individual piece (fish have a lot of pieces to articulate). You will need very good reference material to put all of the pieces back together right. If using beetles, the beetles will eat the cartilage just like meat. If maceration is chosen to complete the task, then you'll have to deal with some other variables. Also, if you're interested in getting it white, the degreasing process needs to be done correctly, otherwise your skull will end up smelling foul and it will not be white.For what it's worth, I do not take on fish skulls anymore. They are a gigantic PIA, but also, that is because I'm concerned with time, as I have so many skulls going at once. If someone wants to try it on the side in your spare time, it might be a fun project.I'd recommend Helter Skeletons if you want to pay to have someone do the work. They specialize in fish, and do a great job.http://helterskeletons.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users